We are 197,870 members in 81 forums discussing 145,397 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Singles With Breast Cancer → Topic: Single life after a mastectomy

Topic: Single life after a mastectomy

Forum: Singles With Breast Cancer —

Singles with breast cancer who want to connect.

Posted on: Apr 29, 2011 10:32PM

txkari wrote:

Hello --

I'm a 47 year old single, who was diagnosed with DCIS grade 3 in early March. The affected area is quite large ... 15 cm in one direction. I have had two partial mastectomies and they still don't have clear margins, so I will be getting a full mastectomy on the left side in a few weeks.

I guess I took the Dr's assurances that I would be OK, a little too much to heart. I was ready for a little surgery and radiation. I wasn't ready to be told I needed a full mastectomy. The reality of it hit me a couple of nights ago.

I haven't met with the plastic surgeon yet, so I'm not sure what my reconstruction plan is yet. My questions are ... how did you prepare yourself to see your body after the surgery? I'm rather large breasted (DD) so the difference is going to be pretty dramatic. Have you found that men can look past the changes in your body? Do they understand? I just want to know if I need to resign myself to being alone. Is there love after a mastectomy/reconstruction?

Thanks

Dx 3/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes

Page 240 of 240 (7,172 results)

Posts 7171 - 7172 (7,172 total)

4 hours ago Enerva wrote:

I love you to girl

Today is a new day and I will put on my brave face and go out there and smile to everyone ha ha ha also hope the morning goes fast it doesn't help that my appointment today is late afternoon and that I woke up at 4:30 am

I been listening yo a meditation at night no sure if any of you have done that?

Well so far I manage to fall sleep but I get up as if I do not rest so I am not sure this is helping I will keep it up in case it takes days to get use to it?

Anyway

Here is the link

Dx 8/27/2012, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/18/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) Chemotherapy 12/21/2012 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 3/25/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 5/31/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 12/24/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 8/27/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

2 hours ago Jazzygirl wrote:

C- good luck with your apts. I meditate regularly, morning and before bed. It does help with sleep. Some restorative yoga can help before bedtime too. I have sleep issues and often wake up for hours middle of the night. Finally slept through last night.

I hope the tests will give the docs good info to know the full story here.

Keep breathing friend, one minute at a time right now.......Heart

Dx 9/14/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/14/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 240 of 240 (7,172 results)