Topic: Boyfriend broke up with me a month after mastectomy

Forum: Singles With Breast Cancer — Singles with breast cancer who want to connect.

Posted on: Aug 6, 2011 07:07PM

Posted on: Aug 6, 2011 07:07PM

voicewriter wrote:

I was just wondering what others think about this.  I was in a three-and-a-half-year relationship.  We had issues, things weren't great.  We broke up probably six or seven times.  We were engaged at the time of my diagnosis of DCIS.  We actually broke up the morning of my mammogram, and then after that, he professed his undying love to me, wants to be with me mind, body, and soul, blah, blah, blah.  So he was with me through all the crap -- lumpectomy, MRI, mastectomy -- but very emotionally difficult.  One day, supportive, the next, a jerk.  He was washing dishes the night before my mastectomy, and Mr. Cheapo goes, I wonder what it's going to cost me if I have to stay at the hospital all day tomorrow.  Imagine???  He also said to me during the week that I was home recuperating, he didn't get to have any alone time with me, because my teenage daughter was on the couch between us the whole time, and I didn't say anything, and he didn't want to be number two anymore.  This is a 50-year-old man we're talking about. 

Anyway, I could go on and on.  Bottom line, broke up a month after my mastectomy.  I brought it up, but he took the ball and ran with it.  I was pretty devastated, and said to him, I can't believe you're doing this a month after my mastectomy, and he said, " You got a clean bill of health.  You're out of the woods." 

It's been four months since we've been broken up, and I'm still hurting from the whole thing.  Do you think this is something you could ever forgive someone for?  I feel like he abandoned me in the middle of the hell of going through what I went through, and he thinks I'm out of the woods!

Page 7 of 7 (62 results)

Mar 2, 2021 10:28PM - edited Mar 2, 2021 10:29PM by hopeheal

I'm sorry for your break up. It sounds like the relationship wasn't strong in the first place and the medical event added undue strain. Hopefully you found a more supportive and less dramatic man.

ER weakly positive, being classified as triple negative. Dx 3/1/2021, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/1/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 4/6/2021 AC Surgery 9/1/2021 Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 11/16/2021 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes

Mar 2, 2021 10:39PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

This thread has been inactive since 2018 and the op hasn’t signed in since 2015

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 7 of 7 (62 results)

Scroll to top button