Join Us

We are 224,318 members in 83 forums discussing 163,493 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: how were you back home after lumpectomy

Forum: Singles With Breast Cancer —

Singles with breast cancer who want to connect.

Posted on: Apr 12, 2015 05:58PM

willbefine wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking take subway back home after lumpectomy. Did anyone do this? Or I have to let someone drive me home? Also who did accompany you when doing the surgery? My family doesn't live with me and actually I have told them my diagnosis thus far. Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Apr 12, 2015 08:51PM labelle wrote:

I had a hard time coming out of anesthesia and lived 1 1/2 hours from the breast center. No way I would have been able to drive myself home. My husband drove. I felt stiff and sore, at bit groggy and was pretty weepy. I don't think I would have wanted to take the subway, a bus or any public transportation-definitely did not want to be out in public and we had to make a stop at the pharmacy to fill my pain meds (although I never used them). I waited in the car, while my husband filled the Rx. If you can, get someone to drive you, if not spring for a cab.

Dx 9/29/2014, IDC: Tubular, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/12/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Apr 12, 2015 09:14PM JJOntario wrote:

Ditto the cab...you will just feel crappy...also make sure you have things ready at home...pillow on the couch, snacks drinks...and if you can...get your meds filled prior to your surgery.

47yrs old. Oncotype Score 16. 43 at dx - existing implants. Basal cell carcinoma-2019 Dx 12/1/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/1/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 12/8/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 1/29/2015 Radiation Therapy 3/29/2015

Apr 12, 2015 11:48PM snorkeler wrote:

The hospital where I had my lumpectomy would only release me if someone were there to pick me up. They would not even let me take a cab home by myself. This policy had changed right before my surgery was scheduled. The American Cancer Society has a program called Road to Recovery that tries to provide volunteer drivers, but unfortunately they were not able to find one for me, so I had to make other arrangements. Best of luck to you.

Dx 1/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast

Apr 13, 2015 12:15PM ceanna wrote:

You may need a backup plan.  I've had good experiences with anesthesia when I felt I could have easily driven myself home and one not so good when I had a difficult time waking up.  As for someone waiting with you, it just gives you an extra ear to hear what the surgeon says after the surgery in case you're groggy.  I know there are often volunteer drivers for medical appointments, etc.  Maybe check into that for a ride home.  Doubt the hospital will want to release you if you are by yourself.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Apr 13, 2015 01:07PM Viceroy wrote:

I had a friend drive me home and I'm thankful that she did. I had also thought about figuring something out to go it alone, but it was good to have somewhere there to talk to the surgeon as I was waking up and help me remember anything that was said.

It's so hard to ask for help but I do think that it is worth it. My friend was happy to help and be there for me.

Dx 9/9/2014, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/2/2014 AC Chemotherapy 12/2/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/21/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 9/13/2015, IDC, Stage IV Radiation Therapy 9/16/2015 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy 10/6/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Apr 13, 2015 03:18PM willbefine wrote:

Ladies, I highly appreciate the info. all you gave! It seems I must gather myself up to this battle. I will come back to give the final solution for my case. Heart love you all!

Apr 13, 2015 03:28PM annika12 wrote:

I felt good but had to have a driver :) You can have he/she get you some subway on the way home :)

Dx 5/13/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 5/27/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/26/2013 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 12/5/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2014 Dx 2/30 nodes Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Apr 13, 2015 09:24PM willbefine wrote:

Thank you annika! I decide to use drive service and right now trying to find someone who can accompany me. Heart

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)