We are 218,756 members in 81 forums discussing 154,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jan 7, 2010 11:01PM - edited Oct 31, 2017 04:13PM by whippetmom

whippetmom wrote:

DISCLAIMER! I am not a physician or medical professional. The information provided is my own personal opinion. You must discuss every aspect of your reconstruction with your plastic surgeon.

PLEASE DISCUSS WITH YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMOOTH AND TEXTURED IMPLANTS (WHICH INCLUDES THE "GUMMY BEAR" ANATOMICAL IMPLANT) AND RISKS PERTAINING THERETO: NEW FDA FINDINGS

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/fda-upda...

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/887654

This thread is where we discuss implant-based reconstruction and where we endeavor to help you with some idea of the implant style and sizing that might best work for you.

INFORMATION WE NEED:

1. Your height, weight, ribcage circumferece (measuring under the bra line or under the tissue expanders with a measuring tape).

2. If you DO have tissue expanders already, we need to know the exact style of TE (Mentor, Allergan, Sientra, SSP) AND the volume - the mfr's recommended volume, NOT your current fill volume. So if you have Mentor TEs, they would be LOW HEIGHT, MEDIUM HEIGHT or TALL HEIGHT. If you do not have the "height" information, you might have a style "number", i.e., 354-6311 or 354-7114...etc. If they are ALLERGAN TEs, they would be one of six styles, with letters such as "MX" or "MV" or "SX" or "SV" or "FX" or "FV". They might have the number 133-V followed by a number like "13" or "14". TO SAVE TIME (FOR MOI) YOU COULD LOOK UP THE DIMENSIONS OF YOUR TISSUE EXPANDERS....

3. Also, please advise if your PS has told you that he/she uses one brand or style of implant exclusively so that we can save time in our research.

4. Your pre-mastectomy breast size is also important, because it does have some bearing on expansion, tissue expander volume and the need for good tissue coverage over your future implant.

5. GRAMS VS CUBIC CENTIMETERS: Essentially interchangeable. A gram is a measure ofmass/weight and ccs a measure of volume. It is the dimensions of the implant that matters more than the discrepancy between the "size" of an implant designated in "grams" as opposed to one designated in "ccs".

6. OVERFILLING OF TISSUE EXPANDERS: There is no hard and fast rule regarding overfilling of tissue expanders. Some plastic surgeons overfill, merely because they always do for every patient. Some never or rarely overfill (my plastic surgeon was in that camp.) She felt that if the right tissue expander was selected, there was no reason to fill beyond that which the manufacturer recommended. In cases where the patient's skin envelope is very tight, and a larger implant is desired, overfilling would have some benefit. In the case of a unilateral breast reconstruction, where the future implant needs to mirror a native breast which has some ptosis (droop), overfilling can help achieve that needed symmetry.

7. "DROP AND FLUFF": Drop and fluff" is a term created long ago by the breast augmentation crowd....to reflect how the implants can settle and take on a different appearance and more natural appearance. Doctors do not use this term and I do not use it, because this is not breast augmentation. In breast augmentation, since women are going larger and the breast envelope is smaller, the implants often sit up and ride quite high on the chest wall, and appear very taut and/or flattened in appearance. With augmentation, it takes a while for the native skin and tissue to adjust to the implants and so those galls do experience what they call dropping and sort of filling out or not being so compressed and gaining projection.

8. CUP SIZES: There is no predictable way to tell you what cup size you will be with a specific volume of implant. Maybe with breast augmentation it is done, but it is all entirely different with breast reconstruction. Plastic surgeons cannot guarantee or predict cup sizes! Cup sizing is tricky, because you might be now wearing the wrong size bra. So you might tell me you wear a 36B, and you really could instead fit better in a 34C. Also, after reconstruction, there are only sports bras and European bras that we recommend as the best option for reconstruction patients. So you might tell me you want to be a "C" and end up in a European bra, like a "Freya" or "Chantelle" (my favorites.). So you might wear a D cup! But you will LOOK like a C cup or even a B cup. It is confusing, I know but you will see what I mean when you are on the other side of this.

SILICONE IMPLANT LINE UP:

MENTOR: www.mentorwwllc.com/global-us/...

ALLERGAN:

Page 33 breastimplantadvice.com/wp-com

ALLERGAN NATRELLE INSPIRA

Newest generation of silicone "cohesive gel" implants. "With regards to silicone implants, they are prefilled, and it turns out that the traditional Allergan Natrelle implants are only about 86-87% filled with silicone gel, whereas the Mentor MemoryGel implants are 91-92% filled. Hence, the enhanced upper breast fullness that many patients liked better with Mentor implants.

Now, the Natrelle INSPIRA™ implants are available from Allergan, giving patients and cosmetic surgeons an additional option. The INSPIRA silicone gel implant is an "over-filled" or "fully-filled" silicone implant – 96-97%. Hence, a moderate-plus profile INSPIRA implant can give patients who need a moderate-plus profile implant, the high-profile look they desire from Mentor. The advantages of silicone implants include a decrease in the risk of capsular contracture, an enhanced warranty, a more natural feel, and less palpable rippling. And now patients can avoid the risk of their breast feeling too hard from an overfilled saline implant!"

9. NATRELLE "INSPIRA" - NEWEST FDA APPROVED ROUND IMPLANTS FROM ALLERGAN:

A Beverly Hills plastic surgeon succinctly explains the benefits of this new implant.

"The new Natrelle INSPIRA™ implant is a silicone gel, smooth round implant. The smooth round implants are the more classic implant style as compared to modern anatomically shaped implants that mimic the natural distribution of breast volume. However, the new implant differs from other round implant options with its higher fill ratio.

The Benefits of Higher Fill Ratio

Higher fill ratio means that there is slightly more silicone gel filler per unit of volume. In the case of the INSPIRA™ implants, a more highly cohesive gel filler is also used. In my experience, I've noticed a slight difference in feel and lower wrinkle susceptibility in implants with a higher fill ratio. The denser volume of gel filler in the implant can result in a decreased chance of rippling and longer shell longevity.

ANATOMICAL IMPLANT INFORMATION:

IF YOU PREVIOUSLY HAD BREAST AUGMENTATION (prior to MX) Please read further:

This is from Grant Stevens, MD, PRINCIPAL clinical trials investigator for the Allergan 410 and Mentor CPG anatomical implants.

"The shaped form-stable gummy bear implants, such as the 410 and the CPG, are not ideal implants for women who have had previous breast surgery and have already pockets for those previous implants. Those women have pockets which are generally too large to safely accommodate the shaped form-stable implants. However, the Sientra form-stable silicone gel breast implants, which are round, can be safely placed in these patients." Quote is in this article:

http://www.cosmeticsurgery.com/articles/archive/an~283/

And in Dr. Stevens' interview article re: cohesive implants...

http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com/wp-content/themes/marinaplasticsurgery_com/news/articles/gel-implants.pdf

BEFORE THE MASTECTOMY...READ AND DISCUSS WITH YOUR SURGEON!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elaineschattner/2017/0...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/1607...

https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/patient/co...

DISCLAIMER! Please read my biography under my personal profile. I am not a physician or medical professional. The information provided is my own personal opinion. You must discuss every aspect of your reconstruction with your plastic surgeon. Dx 10/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 185 of 502 (15,031 results)

Posts 5521 - 5550 (15,031 total)

Mar 29, 2012 01:41PM JulieLynn wrote:

Whippetmom - Can you recommend  implants for me?  I had BMX on 8/31/11 with Mentor medium height contour profile TEs which have been filled to 520 cc.  My implant date is set for 5/2/12 if my blood levels all return to normal.  I'm 5'2-1/2", currently 155 lbs with a rib cage of 33".  I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I've gained 25 lbs since I've been on the steroids  (I've been off for four weeks since yesterday but have not yet lost any weight) and I had gained about 15-20 the year before that when my father and niece passed.  I'm still hoping to lose all that weight and get back to normal.  I've gone from a size 4 to a size 12 in less than two years  but had been a size 4 for a very long time before all this happened.  Before the weight gain, I was barely an A.  After the first weight gain, I went to barely a B.  I hope to be a full C if that doesn't look too large for me.

Also, one more question, I was very set on saline but since talking to my PS again and reading posts on BCO, I'm leaning more toward silicone.  I am worried about the possible leaking of the silicone....what are your thoughts on that?  (I'm sorry if you've already addressed this - I'm sure I missed it somewhere!!)

THANK YOU for your help!!!!

Julie Dx 8/10/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 29, 2012 02:52PM - edited Mar 29, 2012 02:53PM by whippetmom

JulieLynn:  I see you have moderate height Mentor TEs, but you do not state the actual recommended fill volume.  Are they 550 cc TEs underfilled to 520 or are they 450 cc TEs, overfilled to 520?  I need to know.  You either have a width of 12.7 or 13.5 cm.  Get this information for me!

Deborah

Edited to Add:  A video for you to watch....RE: Saline vs. Silicone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vFyAEgqJSw

DISCLAIMER! Please read my biography under my personal profile. I am not a physician or medical professional. The information provided is my own personal opinion. You must discuss every aspect of your reconstruction with your plastic surgeon. Dx 10/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 29, 2012 05:26PM JulieLynn wrote:

Thanks for the video - I will watch it tonight!  I believe they are 450 overfilled to 520.  I know we overfilled by 20 percent and the PS had said that a good guess for me would be 450 ccs would lead to a C.  I hope this helps!!!

Mar 29, 2012 10:36PM - edited Apr 18, 2012 01:20AM by Caro4

Whippetmom, Regarding myTE size and Type...they are Mentor 15.6X13.3X8.0CM... Medium Height Contour Profile.... Style 6200.  I was told that when I was ready, they would stop the filling up to 800 CC's and I have 270 already.  I am thinking as you told me if I get the high profile that I can do less than 800 cc's and be happy.  I sure don't want to look like a Dolly Parton at 62....lol

I would appreciate prayer also as I had oozing from my incision from my left breast and they are doing surgery to repair the incison tomorrow and drains reinserted.  Surgery was 2/27 so a little over a month. It is minor setback but I so dread those drains again.  I am glad he is making a new incision as this one was always bothersome and bigger than my right.  Of course, I am most thankful, I am cancer free and NO chemo  Thank you for your help.  prayers for all you Ladies going through so much more than I am!  God be with you all.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you~ Jer 29 Dx 1/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/27/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/27/2012 Hormonal Therapy 4/11/2012 Surgery 5/1/2012 Surgery 7/20/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 10/24/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Mar 29, 2012 10:40PM GreenMonkey wrote:

I really, really am totally indebted to your expertise, your insight and your generous spirit Whippetmom aka Deborah.  I thought I saw a whippet yesterday - turned out to be an Italian greyhound but that didn't stop me from telling the owner how I had a friend who was a mother to two whippets.  I might have rambled a bit too long but it felt good to talk about you in a tangible way. (I'm getting emotional). 

NOW... about prevention of lymphedema.  I went for my annual gyno appt today and asked that they take my blood pressure from my leg.  The nurse (a veteran) was frazzled but kind.  Admitted it had been a very, very long time (maybe 20 years) since she did it.  Afterwards, I went to the hospital for a blood drawing and they were also VERY taken back by the foot :) They made me get authorization - I had to call my doctor and have her fax it to them so if you need blood drawn maybe ask your dr. to put on the script that blood should be drawn froom the foot. They passed the task to their veteran - with 36 years experience.  I remember him drawing my daughters blood 19 years ago because she was 2 years old and cried/screamed soooo hard and loud that she urinated and he was soooooo patient.  When I told him this story he smiled :)  He took such good care of me, warmed my foot, stroked my foot, and when he found his vein, I felt very little pain.  When I commented on that he smiled, said it was because of his skills and then later told me that he challenged himself by doing the foot and he was clearly pleased with himself. It made me happy to see him happy (I have to blog about this).  

For some odd reason, it was hard for me to disregard every doctor I ever asked - from my breast surgeon (who I love and respect) to my gyno, to my GP - on whether or not its okay to have blood drawn and blood pressure from your arm post SNB. But I did it and I am so happy I did.  One less thing to focus/worry about.  

1/20/2012, DCIS, Grade 3, 5 mm, right. LCIS and ADH left & right. ALH right, Stage 0, 0/3 nodes, ER+, BMX 3/5/12, CATSTIR: The other C word that rhymes with Dancer @ greenmonkeytales.com

Mar 29, 2012 11:26PM JulieLynn wrote:

Deborah - Thank you so much for the video - Very, very helpful!!!  Huge difference between the old silicone and the new - very reassuring!!  Julie

Mar 30, 2012 01:07AM Estel wrote:

GreenMonkey - Good for you! It's great you had such a great experience. :)

BMX 2/2010 with immediate reconstruction. Exchanged with silicone implants 7/2010. Diagnosed with LE 9/2010 Dx 9/2009, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 30, 2012 01:15AM Estel wrote:

Cool video, whippetmom!

Thank you!

BMX 2/2010 with immediate reconstruction. Exchanged with silicone implants 7/2010. Diagnosed with LE 9/2010 Dx 9/2009, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 30, 2012 01:42AM whippetmom wrote:

Green Monkey: We had Italian Greyhounds before we had whippets!

So glad you conquered the blood draw/BP cuff dilemma. Good job!!

Mar 30, 2012 01:48AM - edited Mar 30, 2012 01:55AM by whippetmom

JulieLynn:

I think you would be happy with around 500 ccs in a high profile silicone implant. 450ccs will be on the small side. However, if you end up losing 25 pounds, 450ccs would be fine. But I am 5'4" tall, 123 lbs and my ribcage is 30 inches and I have HP 550s. So 500s would fit your frame better I believe.

Mar 30, 2012 08:51AM lago wrote:

Here's another video that compares the 3 different implants as well as shows the expander. It had a bit different information than the one Whippetmom posted: linky
DONE!! goo.gl/IoaN6U • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 30, 2012 02:11PM JulieLynn wrote:

Thank you Deborah and Lago!!

Mar 30, 2012 07:28PM whippetmom wrote:

Nice one Lago!

Mar 30, 2012 08:25PM Estel wrote:

Yes, Lago ... thanks!

The TE on the video looked pretty harmless ... mine felt so much bigger, squarer and nastier than the innocent looking one in the video.  Wink 

Mar 31, 2012 03:13PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Dawne-Hope wrote:

The TE on the video looked pretty harmless ... mine felt so much bigger, squarer and nastier than the innocent looking one in the video. 

DawneHope - I got the same big, square, nasty ones that you did!!!! Yell

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/5/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/22/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 31, 2012 05:03PM whippetmom wrote:

Well, Cindy, from what I have read, it can happen at any time, but it is most likely to occur within the first three or four months after surgery. 

Mar 31, 2012 05:37PM lago wrote:

Yes I had the Ms. Sponge Bobra square boobs too. Matter a fact after my exchange I was a bit square too but nice and round now!

DONE!! goo.gl/IoaN6U • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 31, 2012 05:55PM Blessings2011 wrote:

lago -  THAT's a relief!!! I was wondering where I was going to find square bras!!! Laughing
Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/5/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/22/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 31, 2012 06:08PM lago wrote:

Honey everything exists on the Internet

http://traceinspace.com/joomla/images/stories/square%20bra%202.jpg

But I'm sure I could make one. Just need pliers. Bent those underwires into corners and Voila… square support bra.

Mar 31, 2012 08:09PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Thanks, lago...it's even in my color!!!

Mar 31, 2012 09:10PM whippetmom wrote:

I am here next week Cindy. Let me know what day and if I am free, I can meet you at Starbucks in Irvine....or Nordstroms in South Coast Plaza. I have a doctor appt Monday at Kaiser/Irvine 1:30 p.m. - just in case you come in that day....

Mar 31, 2012 09:30PM - edited Mar 31, 2012 09:31PM by every8thwoman

Hello Whippetmom,

I'm going in for exchange surgery (saline implant to silicone).  Saline implant shifted and is smaller than my non cancer breast.  So I'm lopsided- nothing on the side under my scar.  Want to go bigger than the current implant.  PS said he can add 20 ml to my current volume which is 200ml now (Mentor).  This really doesn't sound like enough add to me.   I have been reading up on the different types of implants, width, profile type, texture and am not sure I have all the info to talk to him about what I want specifically.  I am currently an A/B cup and read somewhere that it takes about 150-210 ml of volume to go up approximately 1 cup size.  I know that surgeons don't like to talk in terms of cup size. But can you give me some idea if I am leaving anything out?  I see my PS on the 10th of April and would like to be as specific as I can about what outcome I am looking for.  Any suggestions?  Also are there others on these threads who can give me the pros and cons of going from saline to silicone???  Thanks.

Dx 10/18/2007, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2012 11:16PM whippetmom wrote:

every8thwoman:  That is silly.  You need a second opinion.  20 ml is useless and nearly every PS out there would be able to use at least an implant with another 50 ml or 75 ml.  The caveat would be if your skin is terribly taut and compromised....but you would have told me that...right?

So PM me and let me help you find another PS for a consultation.  You want to get it RIGHT the next time.

Deborah

Mar 31, 2012 11:17PM whippetmom wrote:

Okay Cindy....I'm around....

Mar 31, 2012 11:54PM Cyn0619 wrote:

11bc
Hi
Thank you so much for your response. Sorry i just figured how how to go back to my post and saw there were a few respnses. I will take these questions to my pre op appointment. The last time I saw him he did not expand me because I had popped a few stitches. Then he told me the skin was so thin on the cancer side he didn't feel he could probably do anymore fills. Although my PS seems nice i've felt the whole time he was in a hurry to be done with me. He specializes in the flap surgeries and i feel he was hoping i would go that route. He asked me after my very first fill if i was done. I did ask him if during placement he could put them a little closer together and take care of the dent I have on the cancer side. He said he could probably fix that with lipo after I have healed from the exchange. He did warn me that sometimes the first lipo fill gets re absorbed by your body that he might need to do it more than once. Has anyone else had this expierience? I would of never done a argumentation but now after doing the Bmx I was hoping to at least go a little bigger but now wondering with the exchange if I will be smaller or the same as before. My next question is how is the nipple done. I did nipple sparing on one side but couldn't do it on the cancer side. Is it going to be hard to match? Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it!
Cindy

Apr 1, 2012 12:02AM Cyn0619 wrote:

Mkw1
Hi. Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry I just now noticed I had gotten responses to my question. There are so many great forums I've been bouncing all over them, I think at my pre op I'm going to ask him again if there is any chance I can go a bit larger. He asked if I had any vacations planned and I told him 6/2 so he said lets put u on the schedule for exchange in April so you have a month to heal. As much as I'd love to have these expanders out I'm now wondering if I should see if I can expand a bit further so I'll be happy in the end with the result. I'm not sure if there is enough skin to stretch. I appreciate your help! Take care
Cindy

Apr 1, 2012 11:06AM every8thwoman wrote:

Hello Whippetmom

I sent you a PM.  Thanks.

Dx 10/18/2007, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 1, 2012 12:24PM - edited Apr 1, 2012 12:25PM by 11BC

hillck: My capsular contracture started to occur about three years after my swap out to silicone implants from tissue expanders.

I had a bilateral mastectomy w/ reconstruction. I opted for implants because before surgery my diagnosis was DCIS. Surgery revealed tumors so my oncologist recommended I have chemo and radiation.

As per the advice of my radiologist and plastic surgeon (PS), I had the surgery to swap the tissue expanders for the implants before starting radiation (about four to six weeks after the swap out so I could heal).

As part of my healing process following seven weeks of radiation, I "stretched" the implant on my radiated/cancer/right side by holding onto it and "circling it" right and then left. I came up w/ this on my own. My PS didn't suggest it. But when I told her about it, she said it could do no harm.

Possibly, it prevented me from developing capsular contracture sooner. Mine is at early stages now, but I am considering having the implants removed and not replacing them w/ either new implants or w/ flap procedures. Having had radiation puts me at risk for further complications if I opt for reconstruction again.

Best luck to you and to all. 

Apr 2, 2012 11:47AM whippetmom wrote:

11bc: Talk to your PS or find another PS who will perform fat graft transfer [stem cell enriched fat graft transfer] to the radiated breast.  This has been shown to reduce a high grade capsular contracture to a low and manageable grade, eliminating the need for surgery.  Additionally, the procedure will change the texture of the irradiated skin.  It is worth investigating.

Apr 2, 2012 11:48AM whippetmom wrote:

Cyn0619:

I am going to PM you.  I feel that this is the perfect time now to get a second opinion. 

Deborah

Page 185 of 502 (15,031 results)