We are 154,651 members in 79 forums discussing 122,442 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Metastatic breast cancer that has spread to the intestines

Topic: Metastatic breast cancer that has spread to the intestines

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Oct 17, 2007 01:36PM, edited Oct 17, 2007 01:36PM by midary

midary wrote:

My wife has been diagnosed with matastatci breat cancer that they believe has spread to her pylorus (outlet of the stomach) and quite possibly to her colon. There is no certain way to tell unless a biopsy is performed. She is currently on a liquid diet. Has anyone else had experience with this? 

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Oct 17, 2007 01:45PM suzfive wrote:

Hi Midary,

I am so sorry that you have had to come here, but it is a great place to come for information and support. The ladies and men here are wonderful.

To answer your question, I do not have mets, but I was diagnosed with ILC and I know that it has a tendency to metastasize to the abdominal area. Do you know what type of breast cancer your wife has? When was she first diagnosed?

I am sure one of the ladies or men on this board will come along shortly and may be better able to answer your question.

Sending hugs to you and your wife,

Suz

12/07/05 ILC 3 cm ER+/PR+ Her2Neu neg 5/21 nodes Stage IIIa - 5 years of Arimidex -done!

Oct 17, 2007 02:54PM katie11 wrote:

I am so sorry that your wife has been hit with this news.  BC mets most commonly go to the bones, liver, lungs and brain, so your wife situation is unusual but not unheard of.  It's good that they're doing a biopsy as this will help them determine what treatment will be best suited to her cancer type.

Hugs,

Katie xx

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 17, 2007 08:04PM LuAnnH wrote:

Those are unusual spots for mets but then lobular mets do go to the abdomen.  Sorry to hear of the news but  there are lots of options out there after they determine the receptor status of her cancer.

LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 18, 2007 03:04AM CTG wrote:

Midary

I am sorry to hear about your wife.

I too have heard of mets to the stomach in the case of women who have Lobular breast cancer. I hope that your wife also seeks a 2nd opinion at a major cancer center as they have more experience.

Here is a link to NCI approved cancer centers so you can research.

http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/cancer-centers-list.html

Wishing you and your wife the best.

Ctg

dx fall05 stage4 liver and bone mets
dx fall06 brain mets / spring07 brain mets gone

Oct 19, 2007 05:04PM midary wrote:

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. It has certainly been a difficult and extremely frustrating time. My wife has the lobular form of cancer that is hormone receptor positive. She is currently on tamoxifen and lupron. It has been about 5 weeks and she still cannot eat. She has been on the liquid diet since August and we were hoping that her treatments would allow her to have solid food soon. I still have not found anyone who has the same symptons. Any information would be helpful.

Oct 19, 2007 05:05PM midary wrote:

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. It has certainly been a difficult and extremely frustrating time. My wife has the lobular form of cancer that is hormone receptor positive. She is currently on tamoxifen and lupron. It has been about 5 weeks and she still cannot eat. She has been on the liquid diet since August and we were hoping that her treatments would allow her to have solid food soon. I still have not found anyone who has the same symptons. Any information would be helpful.

Oct 19, 2007 05:10PM , edited Oct 19, 2007 05:15PM by nash

Was your wife diagnosed as Stage IV from the get-go? Has she been on any sort of chemo?

I'm not Stage IV, but I do have ILC and am on chemo. Doesn't sound like the tamoxifen and lupron are doing the trick for her.  

Most oncs tend to treat lobular and ductal bc the same. Mets to the lining of the stomach cavity is a common place for lobular cancers to go, like the other posters said. And CTG is right--it'd be worth going to a major cancer center for another opinion. 

Good luck to both of you. 

Dx June 2007, age 38, Stage IIa 2.7 cm pleomorphic ILC, ER+/PR+ HER2-, CAFx6, rads, Tamox, Zometa, Oncotype 18

Oct 21, 2007 08:49PM Hope_M wrote:

I know that your wife does not have cancer of the GI tract, but her symptoms and the management of them may end up being very similar.  You may want to Google colon cancer just to find out about the common management of compromised esophagus, stomach, etc.  I have two friends who have been on liquid diets and who eventually had tubes installed to feed a liquid diet directly into their stomachs (I think).  In both cases the struggle to eat and to maintain energy and weight were greatly eased by the feeding tubes, although they are a real change in lifestyle in a way.

Best of luck to you both and I'm sorry for the news.

Hope M. 

Oct 23, 2007 05:46PM midary wrote:

Hi Hope M,

Thank you for your comments. I was wondering if you could elaboarat a little on how your griend's lifestyle changed after the feeding tubes.