Jan 21, 2007 02:21AM maryannecb wrote:Ask her if she would be comfortable waiting if it were her breast.
If lump is palpable, a biopsy could be done.
Sometimes MRI can be helpful.
Hopefully all will be fine.
Meet others worried about developing breast cancer for the first time. PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR SYMPTOMS. Comparing notes, symptoms, or characteristics is not helpful here, as only medical professionals can accurately evaluate and assess your individual situation.
Posted on: Jan 21, 2007 01:25AM
katinchatt wrote:This past week I had a Mammogram, Also at the time of the Mammogram the tech asked me if I had had breast surgery (no) because of an indentation made by slight compression @ 2:00 o�clock. 2 days later I was called back for Diagnostic Mammogram & an ultrasound. Came back as, �unknown if cyst or nodule� Right Breast at 2:00. I was told to do weekly self-exams and to come back in 6 months for another ultrasound.
Posts 1 - 30 (36 total)
Jan 21, 2007 02:21AM maryannecb wrote:Ask her if she would be comfortable waiting if it were her breast.
Jan 21, 2007 02:53AM VickiTN wrote:Just tell your doctor that you are not comfortable waiting the six months and that you want a biopsy. If your doc refuses the biopsy then I'd get an appointment with a breast surgeon or doc who specializes in diseases of the breast. A second opinion about waiting the six months, in my opinion, is certainly in order if your doc refuses to cooperate with your wishes to have the biopsy.
Jan 21, 2007 02:59AM marshakb wrote:
Hey Kat...I replied to you before about that indention. Google "dimple in the breast" or "indention in the breast" and print that info and take it to your doctor. Indentions/dimples are serious business normally. And I agree with the above post, ask how they would feel if they had an indention in their breast? Hugs, Marsha
Jan 21, 2007 03:59AM katinchatt wrote:Thank You! My Primariy is a young aggressive Gal who I hope will speed all of this up and get me into a surgeon. I am not aware that the Tech told the Radiologist about the indentation, so putting 2+2 together may suggest a bigger picture for my Primary. Will keep posting because I am scared and need answers - my hubby almost refuses to discuss it and tells me I have nothing to base my worries on YET! He's just worried/scared too so I'll keep the majority of my worries here with you, if you don't mind?
Jan 21, 2007 04:03AM marshakb wrote:
Kat...feel free to PM me if you need to. I was lucky, my husband was SO supportive and just didn't care if I have a breast or not, he needs me around to keep him laughing! I see you have only posted a few times so I will say again, this board is a life saver and a sanity saver. Anyone of us will be your support system if you need us! Hugs to y ou Kat, Marsha
Jan 21, 2007 04:26AM roseg wrote:I have an issue with telling your physicians what you want done. I mean, if you're telling them what you want done, why bother with them.
Jan 21, 2007 04:28AM katinchatt wrote:
Thanks Marsha & Vicki (my fellow Tennessean) the irony is he works in healthcare, "Cardiac Rehab" sometimes they are programmed (as are Dr's) not to react. However, he really is my ROCK. He'll be there when I truly need him, but for now we are both dealing with this in our own way.
Jan 21, 2007 04:40AM katinchatt wrote:Rose, I feel going to my Primary is a "second opinion". My Gyno is a PA and it was her assistant who called me with the results and couldn't even pronounce half the words on the report. I simply don't even have enough information on what my choices are. I own a pair of scissors but that doesn't mean I choose to cut my own hair.
Jan 21, 2007 04:41AM marshakb wrote:
Rose....unfortunately we sometimes have to push our doctors to take our concerns more seriously. No one was suggesting she get a knife and biopsy herself, but my primary doc said IMMEDIATELY that the indention is almost always an indication of something that should not be there. I'm just not willing to put my life on the line and trust that every doc is God and knows everything. Being knowledgable about BC and signs and symptoms usually will make your docs respond to you better and at least do follow up to relieve the anxiety of not knowing. Yes, maybe she needs a new doc, but the analogy you used that questioning a doctors opinion is like picking up a knife and doing your own surgery is extreme. Like Vicki said, sometimes we have to be pushy, it is our bodies after all. Marsha
Jan 21, 2007 06:01AM LightTheWay wrote:Advice from the "BREAST GODDESS"
Jan 21, 2007 06:32AM LightTheWay wrote:Also I wanted to add (Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book, 2005 p.g. 104) this as you did mention they wanted TO CALL YOU BACK IN SIX MONTHS.
Jan 21, 2007 11:49AM Shirlann wrote:Well, after my dismal experience, and I KNEW better, I would try to get a biopsy and if refused (as I was), walk out the door, go home, call a breast clinic and get what you want.
Jan 21, 2007 01:04PM katinchatt wrote:
Thanks Everyone! Shirlann, and LightTheWay for typing your little heart out for me. Yes, the indention is there without compression, it just made it longer & deeper. I can not feel it, I'm a 38DD with lumpy breasts anyway but this clearly shows up as something all together different. Just lucky they found "it" early what ever it is (was not there 2 years ago/compared the 2) I just find it hard to believe that when some bc doesn't show up on Mammo or Ultrasound their hands are tied for understandable reasons, however when it's black and white and "unknown" they would wait. Go figure!
Jan 21, 2007 02:18PM VickiTN wrote:Kat,
Jan 21, 2007 07:21PM CaliforniaKate wrote:
I don't know if your insurance is like mine, but I have to have a referal from my Primary doctor to see a specialist. That said, I would never expect that doctor to refuse my request. If she did, she wouldn't be my doctor for long. Chances are when you see your doctor, you won't have any problem at all getting a referal. Fingers all crossed for you. Kate
Jan 21, 2007 07:33PM Chelee wrote:Rose, Katinchatt came here for support...hoping someone could help her out. This is a place she should feel safe to express herself and ask anything she wants too without judgement. You can feel free to get mad at me all you want...but I don't appreciate you jumping in here telling her you TAKE ISSUE with her telling her physicians what she wants done. I also think that is a bad analogy you made. One has nothing to do with another.
Jan 22, 2007 01:01AM katinchatt wrote:Good Morning Chelee. I chalk everything up to this being an "open board". Will do EVERYTHING I NEED TO DO, and althouh I don't agree with Rose she has her opinions and I did ask. Having said that, it's opinions LIKE YOURS that "feel right", I truly cherish and will turn to when I need real support. Thank You for coming into ring for me and speaking out. I am new and it did throw me for a while but others (on the side) have assurd me this isn't the norm here & I BELIEVE! Again thanks! In a little over 24 hours I will see my Primary so HOPEFULLY she will at the VERY LEAST explain the report, ease my mind, or get me in ASAP. Will keep posting as I LOVE hearing from EVERYONE! Well, almost
Jan 22, 2007 03:28AM katinchatt wrote:
Participation in Treatment Decisions. You have the right to know your treatment options and to participate in decisions about your care. Parents, guardians, family members, or other individuals that you designate can represent you if you cannot make your own decisions.
Jan 23, 2007 10:24AM katinchatt wrote:
Saw my Primary this afternoon. Didn't have to ask to go to a Surgen, she asked me which one I wanted to see. explained by mammogram & ultrasound results and "with adhesion" and a BI-RAD 3 certainly calls for a visit and she didn't understand the 6 month wait either. so I'm at least moving forward and not being left in limbo!
Jan 23, 2007 02:26PM VickiTN wrote:That's wonderful news, Kat!! I'm so glad that your doc is getting you moving in the right direction on this. Sounds like you're in good hands.
Jan 23, 2007 02:34PM LightTheWay wrote:Yes, this is good news... I'm glad you have a supportive doctor too. Let me know how you get on... I'll let you know what happens on the 29th with my surgeon...
Jan 24, 2007 12:31AM katinchatt wrote:Thanks Ladies....don't know yet when my appt. is with the Surgeon, I have to be REFERRED. I know one thing I am totally exhausted. Haven't had one good nights sleep since "I got the call". Was so excited to see there is a conference on "Sleeping" tonight. Is anyone familar with these discussions? If I can keep my eyes open I will peek in see what's being discussed. I may call my Primary and ask for a little help with this matter until I do see the surgeon. Unfortuanately I am a worrier by nature, but when I really have something to worry about I go into overdrive and can become a real basket case! I think it's just the "mother" in me. My boys are 24 & 29, you'd think I'd be over it.
Jan 24, 2007 01:17AM katinchatt wrote:When I get out a little later today I want to pick up - The "Bible of Breast Cancer" Susan Love's book. I've read here on another board that it's a long, exhaustive & scary read. Another suggested that you just research to what stage you are currently/actually in and STOP. I feel since I "don't know" a thing at this point that I should read/reasearch everything I can.......to help prepare me in the "unlikely" event this is a problem. (I still see myself in that 80% B9) However I see the STOPPING as a valid point as well, why take your mind in directions it doesn't need to go in/yet? What has worked for you girls?
Jan 24, 2007 06:19AM Shirlann wrote:katinchat, I wore out my copy of Susan Love's Book and was astonished that others had problems with it. But I am very interested in medical things and a lot of people are not.
Jan 24, 2007 08:37AM Auntbiz wrote:I agree with everyone else, if you do not feel right or have peace about it insist on what you want. I had a gyn doctor tell me after my D * C due to thickening of the lining of the uterus tell me my ultra sound was fine. I go see my oncologist and she tells me that my lining had thicken again to 19mm and had a complex cyst on my left ovary. I called him and he had me come in for another appointment and when I got there a different doctor walked in. I said to do another ultra sound in four months. It contiuned to thicken and they called me to come in to discuss another d & C and when I got there the nurse questioned me why I was seeing the second doctor and not the first. I said because they switched me and i did not asked to be switched but i made the appointment would was following me and ordering my ultra sounds. You have to get all of your reports. I would not have had any follow up I am with another doctor's office. Doctors are too busy and we need to be responsible for our own health care.
Jan 24, 2007 10:37AM katinchatt wrote:Thanks Girls,