Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dancing with the Stars

Options

Comments

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited November 2019
    Options

I too felt that even if James hadn't gone home because of scores & votes, he should have gone home to be with his family.

I liked most of the dances but felt some were better than others. Hannah can go, I"m tired of the crying, 'splaining etc....

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited November 2019
    Options

Well, that was a surprise last night. Again, the winner is an ABC backed reality star. The winner should have been either Kel or Ally. I guess this show is about over as the voting system appears to be imploding. More time for reading! And my husband will enjoy being able to watch the football game uninterrupted. Oh well, my time is free until college basketball starts and takes over nights and weekends.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,046
    edited November 2019
    Options

JCS, glad you posted as I forgot to come on here to weigh in. Good point about an ABC backed reality star winning. I wasn't surprised. But was she good enough to win?

It was a lackluster season. Since I only started watching four or five weeks ago, I wasn't invested in any of the celebs. Spicer also put a big damper on things.

None of the 4 finalists wowed me at any time. I agreed with Len, Kel's two dances were similar. There were no new, never seen before free styles. At times, I felt the judges lying through their teeth that this or that performance knocked it out of the ball park.

Overall, tepid. I even forgot to tune in to Good Morning America to see the finalists showcased. Wonder where the show will end up from here,

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    edited November 2019
    Options

The finale was 'fine', but not compelling. I think Hannah danced as well as anyone else last night......but I surely think they need to do something about the voting system. If having the biggest fan base (from a show on the same network, in the same time slot, no less) or the most votes for political reasons.....I don't see that is a sustainable formula for the future. Plus Montana & Pacific Time people couldn't vote at all, and they made voting harder for everyone else (in the past I voted on Facebook, but this time you had to register on ABC, which I didn't care to do). PLUS I had only even heard of two of the contestants before the show started so didn't really care before it even started! (Although I'm probably in the demographic group they are looking for.) Anyway, blah season; but it is always nice hanging out with you guys. Happy

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited November 2019
    Options

Well, I'm pretty pissed that she won.... I really felt that either Kel or Ally should have won but I didn't realize that it had to be someone who has an ABC show. (sarcasm)

But again I'm not the demographic that they're looking for.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2020
    Options

Couldn't resist:

• divinemrsm
    edited July 2020
    Options

Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews are out! No word yet on their replacements Not sure how the show will work in the midst of a pandemic!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2020/07/dancing-with-the-stars-host-tom-bergeron-to-exit-erin-andrews-1202984816/amp/

• ruthbru
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hmmmm...I don't know if that is bad or good. I have been rather disenchanted with the show for the last couple seasons, but not because of them.

• JCSLibrarian
    edited July 2020
    Options

I loved both hosts! I will probably attempt to watch the first show, but already doubt I will stick with it. Watching shows on Netflix without commercials has really spoiled me.

• divinemrsm
    edited July 2020
    Options

Yes, Ruth and JCS, I feel the same! And I hear ya about the commercials! I'm spoilt too!

Tyra Banks named new host. Not sure how that will unfold. Or how they can produce a show during the pandemic! I liked her as host on America's Got Talent but not sure how that will translate as a host for DWTS. Guess we'll have to see!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/entertainment/tyra-banks-dancing-with-the-stars-host/index.html

• ruthbru
    edited July 2020
    Options

I'll check it out, but will reserve judgement until I see what "a new direction" actually means. I wonder if the usual judges will be back?

• divinemrsm
    edited July 2020
    Options

No word yet on the judges but I’d hate to see them tamper with that part of the show, too.

• divinemrsm
    edited August 2020
    Options

DWTS announced the professionals for the upcoming season which starts September 14:

“Returning fan-favorites are Sharna Burgess, Peta Murgatroyd, Val Chmerkovskiy, Cheryl Burke, Keo Motsepe, Jenna Johnson, Alan Bersten, Brandon Armstrong, Sasha Farber, Pasha Pashkov, Emma Slater and Gleb Savchenko. Britt Stewart and Daniella Karagach also are joining the cast as first-time pros."

There was some rumor Derek would return but I guess not. Too bad.

Participating celebrities to be named at a later date. One has been named, some Bachelorette I think.

I'm wondering how the dynamic between Carrie Ann and Tyra will be. One thing I don't like about Tyra that I noticed when she was AGT host is she's all about ultra-super-perfect appearance. Her hair, makeup, clothes and jewelry are tweaked to the ultimate, over-the-top, unattainable beauty. I worry that her star power will supersede the dancing celebrities making her more the center of attention. Tom and Erin weren't overpowering. But, what do I know? Have to wait and see.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2020
    Options

It will be very weird especially without Tom. I suppose they won't be able to have a live audience ??? Lots on unknowns.....

• divinemrsm
    edited August 2020
    Options

Yea, very strange without an audience!

Also professionals Lindsay Arnold and Witney Carson are not competing this season as they are both pregnant!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2020
    Options

Aha!

The pro & their partner have to quarenteen together.

• JCSLibrarian
    edited August 2020
    Options

It will be interesting to see how they handle all this. I might watch the beginning show, but am not sure about the change in hosts. Thisshow has been my escapism moment for years now.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2020
    Options

Here's what I found:

"Dancing with the Stars" is returning for season 29 on Sept. 14 with a lot of changes.

On Tuesday during "Good Morning America," the series announced the premiere date, the lineup of professional dancers and a shocking coronavirus precaution measure.

The show is requiring the three married couples – Valentin Chmerkovskiy and Jenna Johnson, Emma Slater and Sasha Farber, and Pasha Pashkov and Daniella Karagach – to live separately for the entirety of filming.

All pros who are roommates must also live apart as a coronavirus precaution.

The rule was implemented so that if one pro dancer gets infected, the other person's fate in the competition won't be jeopardized.

"It's going to be bliss – I mean it's going to be terrible," Slater, 31, joked on "GMA."

She added: "It's going to be so different because we can't actually interact and even prep with each other, which is something completely different, but we're doing everything we can to keep safe. There's going to be a lot of FaceTiming."

This year, several pros are returning to the series along with two new faces.

Sharna Burgess, Peta Murgatroyd, Cheryl Burke, Keo Motsepe, Alan Bersten, Brandon Armstrong, Gleb Savchenko, Chmerkovskiy, Johnson, Farber, Pashkov and Slater are returning.

Pashkov's wife Karagach will be a first-time pro on the show.

Britt Stewart was added to the dance pro lineup, too, making her the show's first Black female pro.

Among new changes on the ABC show, hosts Tom Bergen and Erin Andrews were replaced by "America's Top Model" judge Tyra Banks.

The full celebrity lineup has yet to be announced. The contestant and pro pairing will be announced during the premiere.

As of Tuesday, former "Bachelorette" Kaitlyn Bristowe is the only celebrity confirmed guest.

• divinemrsm
    edited August 2020
    Options

All so interesting! I for one am hoping there is not some political “celebrity" tossed into the mix that makes it hard to get a break from politics, like Sean Spicer last time. I, too, think the show should be a form of escapism so why drag the weighty political issues into such an entertaining show? I will take three or four Bachelorettes weeping because they: gained/lost weight/a boyfriend/a coveted TV role or fell for the wrong guy/a Ponzi scheme/down a flight of stairs or broke a bone/promise/fingernail rather than someone like him.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2020
    Options

New cast has been announced!

Backstreet Boys' AJ McLean,
    Tiger King star Carole Baskin,

Selling Sunset's Chrishell Stause,

former Bachelorette Kaitlyn Bristowe,
    former NFL player Vernon Davis,

Jesse Metcalfe,

Monica Aldama (head coach from Netflix's Cheer),

Anne Heche,

Skai Jackson,
    One Day at a Time actress Justina Machado,

The Real host Jeannie Mai,

Grammy Award-winning rapper Nelly,

Catfish host Nev Schulman,

NBA superstar Charles Oakley

and Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir.

Many of these “celebs” I don’t know. The ones who intrigue me are first, Johnny Weir! Oh I love him so, he is over the top and we will get a good show from him! Also, AJ McClean, I’m not. Backstreet Boys fan but I saw him talking about getting all buff and he looks mighty fine indeed. I’m not all about the eye candy but for some reason I like that he’s a contestant. Guess in this case it is about the eye candy! Haha! And Charles Barclays, he’s got a great personality so that should be entertaining. And Nelly. Don’t know much about him but he got it going on body wise too.

As far as I can tell, no polarizing political contestants. Thank heavens. No need for that. I’m going to look up the rest of these people and not sure who everyone’s paired with.

All in all, now that the cast is announced I look forward to the season premiere. I actually think Tyra’s star power helped the show get a few of these more noteworthy people to join.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2020
    Options

I will have to look most of them up too! Glad there's no 'political' dancers. I watch for an escape from all that!

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2020
    Options

Just saw where Derek Hough is replacing Len Goodman as a judge this season. I had heard the rumor. Apparently Len can’t travel outside the UK because of travel restrictions. They’re saying he will be involved in the show in another capacity but they don’t say what that is.

Well I absolutely love Derek. He gives the show cred. He’s really the only one who could replace Len and be as good or better than him at judging. I do miss Derek being a professional dancer on the show. He was the very best and every other professional stepped up their game when he was in the competition.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2020
    Options

I'm good with Derek!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2020
    Options

Tonight's the night!!

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2020
    Options

I’m looking forward to it. The Pittsburgh station that airs ABC is saying The Steelers game will be on instead and DWTS will air Tuesday at 1:04 am! Haha! Um, what!? There may be another ABC channel on the digital cable that will have the show. Hope so!

• JCSLibrarian
    edited September 2020
    Options

I am a little nervous about some of these people being able to dance, but it should be entertaining. I will miss the usual hosts, too. Derek as a judge will keep things interesting

• ruthbru
    edited September 2020
    Options

Well, I enjoyed the show. A couple thoughts:

*I am sure it was weird for the performers not to have an audience. I think it would be hard to keep the intensity up without their input.

*Although I didn't like Tyra's outfit, I didn't mind her as the host.

* At least for now (with so many contestants), I didn't miss the big show dance numbers with the troop.

* I liked the song selections. I liked Sharna's hair.

* I missed the age of Skai, the youngest dancer, so looked it up. She's 18.....which is good. Dancers younger than that make me nervous due to the 'sexiness' of some of the dances.

*People I see as soon gone are Charles (the very big basketball player) and Carol (the tiger lady)

*Lots of couples were so-so, I thought.....room to grow.

* People to watch: Johnny the Olympic skater, Monica the cheerleader coach (especially since she' paired with Val), Vernon the football player paired with Peta, I liked Nev the nerdie guy too.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2020
    Options

I was able to watch. First, I didn't hate Tyra but also didn't think she added anything to the show. However, I was never an Erin Andrews fan and the mindless chit-chat she carried on with the couples, so I don't miss her at all. I read this morning that Erin and Tom were swapped out because at its height, DWTS had 20 mil viewers which over the years has dwindled to to where last season it had about 6 mil. So they're hoping Tyra can help with that.

It felt like Tyra kept trying to prove that she was worthy of being host, mentioning how her, her mom and grandma have been fans since Season 1, blah blah blah. Yeah, well if that's what gives ya cred, any one of us could be next season's host! Or maybe we could do "The View" or "The Talk" thing and have a panel of us as hosts! Who's in?

I think Carole Baskin is supposed to be the polarizing figure this season. I never watched "Tiger King", the series that made her famous, tho I heard about it and some rumors she's responsible for her husband's death in a macabre way. She should be the first to go (or Charles Oakley, like you said, Ruth). Exactly how Carole danced is exactly what I was expecting of her.

I was very surprised how much I like Anne Heche's dance. She's got chuzt-pa and I hope we see more good dancing from her.

Skai, very good. Justina, good but I thought they scored her higher than she deserved. Jenny Mai, not bad. Expected more from AJ McClean, but Cheryl Burke is so seasoned a professional, she knows not to start off with all the good stuff and wants to show how her partner evolves. The judges love that.

Nev-nev-never heard of Nev but his dance was adorable. I hardly recognized Jenna. She and Peta seem to have some of that Stepford Wives perfection presentation going on. Not sure how I like it. But great dance with Nev and Jenna.

Loved Johnny Weir and think he should have been scored higher.

Anyone I didn't mention didn't make an impression so far.

Surprisingly,I didn't mind the absence of Len. I liked that Derek kept his assessments on each dance brief and to the point. Love Tony's white/silver/gray hair. Whatever color it is, it looks good.

Next show is next Tuesday and no voting till then which seems odd. Very different with no audience. I miss the professional group dance numbers.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2020
    Options

I thought Justina was overscored and Johnny underscored too.

Sure, I'll let someone put me in makeup and a costume and co-host one of those shows with you, Divine! Who do we need to contact to let them know we're available? 😃

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2020
    Options

Tonight is the live finals of America's Got Talent which dh and I have watched all season. So I will be tuning in to that and not DWTS. It's so early in the season for DWTS I won't miss much and will try to catch some of the dances on line later where I can.