Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dancing with the Stars

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    edited November 2020
    Options

I thought Nelly should have been the one voted off this week. Yes, Tyra is moving into her role quite nicely. She is a beautiful woman, so why they dress her in such odd, loud, over-the-top costumes is a mystery to me. I think the quality of dance is better because the judges do have the final say......a very good thing.

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited November 2020
    Options

Finally got some time to watch the show. I was sorry to see Chrishell go. I thought the other blonde should have left. I like the way Nelly is so different from what I expected. He brings a different look to the dances and his partner is great. Both of those yellowish dresses on Tyra were awful. I feel like they are making her look like Beyoncé. I also feel bad for Jeannie Mai. She was really good and deserved a chance to finish. Oh well...looking forward to next week

• ruthbru
    edited November 2020
    Options

I very much liked Tyra's first outfit which was pretty and 'normal', I wasn't crazy about the second 'spaceship' outfit.

*Justina-I wasn't impressed with this week's dance. She does better in the fast dances.

*Nelly-I like him as a person but don't think he is much of a dancer (compared to the rest of the people left ).

* AJ- seemed a little shaky.

*Kaitlin- she has very nice lines, dancer's legs, very smooth moves. She has surprised me.

* Johnny, Skai, Nev-all very good, very entertaining dancers.

I am glad the judges have the final say.

If I were picking the four finalists right now, I would choose Kaitlin, Johnny, Skai, and Nev.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,044
    edited November 2020
    Options

Those would be my picks for finalists, too, Ruth.

Kaitlyn jumped on my radar last week and her dance this week was my favorite of the night, I knew it'd be a perfect score. Tho Nev's was cute, there was something flat about it, a certain pizazz it lacked, surprisingly.

I was frustrated with the judges' scoring. Tho AJ messed up his dance, he was scored same as Justina. Nelly barely moved and still got good marks. And it's ridiculous that Derek voted for AJ to stay over Johnny, I don't believe for a second he thought AJ was better, I just think it made for 'good' tv to have a half a minute of suspense to see how Carrie Anne would break the tie.

I'm never a fan of the dance-offs. And, WAY too much judges' talking. They're using them to fill in the time slot since they can't have the professionals perform dance numbers. But how many times in one night do we want to hear "Oh, your lines are so crisp, but her passion shines through, but you've come so far, blah blah blah blah blah.

Couple things about Tyra. It dawned on me last night she's filling in two spots, that of host to keep the show moving (Tom), and sort of "our-girl-on-the-street' interviewer engaging in chit-chat with the dance couples (Erin). And that's a lot of shoes to fill. She's getting better at it. I loved when she told Bruno "I can out-diva you any day!" and she has the star-power to say that. The other thing is, and I'm not really sure how to say this, but I notice how Tyra's able to connect with the black performers; it's an added layer that the show never had before and I enjoy watching how she engages with them as an "I know what it's like to be black in life and entertainment" diva.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2020
    Options

Yes, I thought they were sometimes awarding point just to make people feel better. Justina certainly didn't out-dance Kaitin in the dance-off. There is ZERO way that AJ was on the same level as Johnny. Nelly just does not have the dancing ability. He is heavy on his feet and should have been scored lower.

I think they will have to axe three contestants next week. I wonder what the format will be?

• JCSLibrarian
    edited November 2020
    Options

Got time to watch the last episode. I agree with all the comments, mostly. I feel like Nelly is the one most out of his element. He surprises me with his ability to dance and act at the same time and smiling when it is over. He could be all huffy and unwilling to do what is asked of him. Kaitlyn is the best dancer, but her personality leaves me wanting. Skai is a good dancer, but...I don’t know what it is about her that isn’t much depth. I do not have my heart set on anyone and will be unhappy when any one of them go home.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2020
    Options

Completely enjoyable evening. I did NOT agree with the outcome!!!!!

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2020
    Options

Spoiler alert: don't read this post if you don't want to know who got voted off last night.

It was a great show but I wasn't happy with the eliminations, either! How the hell did Nelly get 3 10s for his last dance? The man does not move. And why do the judges think Justine is better than Skai?

I didn't have a very favorite dance last night because I liked so many. I wanted to see Skai in the finals because she truly showed so much improvement last night. I love her partner, Alan. He's got that boyish enthusiasm that's so appealing. Nelly's partner, Daniella, it feels like she wishes she could just cut loose while dancing but must hold back because Nelly dances like a statue.

Nev was pretty mesmerizing in his contemporary dance. Imo, the mirrorball is his for the taking.

• JCSLibrarian
    edited November 2020
    Options

I was disappointed that Johnny was summarily dismissed. Not sure why Nelly was saved. The dancing was very good last night. I think the final two will be Nev and the blonde. Tyra was really funny and I did like the outfit she wore. All in all, it has been an interesting show

• ruthbru
    edited November 2020
    Options

All season, I have thought Johnny was scored very harshly, and I was very shocked that he didn't even make the judges choice last night. There is zero way that Nelly should be in the finals over him (or any of the others either). Apparently rappers must have a huge fan base who call in votes???? I don't even know what Justina does, but she must have a big fan base too. Nev has been consistently wonderful so I hope that he does come out on top!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2020
    Options

Well, maybe don't score everyone with 10s, so that the person with the most fans doesn't win. Maybe the judges should give several sets of scores; originality, overall effect, skill level of the moves etc.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2020
    Options

I’m actually pretty pissed with the results. Again.

Nev deserved to win. First, he and Jenna were the only ones who gave a great free style performance. The other three freestyles were incredibly boring, nothing special whatsoever. Nelly’s freestyle was a joke and the judges gave him perfect score and that gags me. I think they gave the trophy to Kaitlyn because her partner Artem hadn’t won the mirroball yet. Boo! Hiss! Isn’t this the second bachelorette in a row to win? Blah

• ruthbru
    edited November 2020
    Options

Apparently Bachelorette people vote. The judges did not score fairly (as you said, there is Zero way anyone but Nev should have gotten a 10 on their freestyle......no one else was in the same ballpark. They need to give multiple scores if they can't do a better job with one. Scores for originality, execution, whatever, that are combined.

I did enjoy the season much more than I thought I would but am very disappointed in the scoring and results last two weeks.

• JCSLibrarian
    edited November 2020
    Options

I totally agree with you both. Nev should have won. Just giving all the participants 10s makes getting to a true winner difficult. Nelly was not a smooth dancer, but there was something about how hard he tried. Even Nev had a dance background. Nelly’s background is music, but also being more of a tough guy with robot style moves. He didn’t need to win, but I enjoyed watching him find the experience enjoyable. Maybe once Broadway opens, Nev will have a new career!

Time to look forward to next year.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2020
    Options

Nelly has a sweet personality. Justina is bubbly. I still don't think they should have been in the finals. In the beginning, I thought the judges were scoring fairly, these last couple weeks I've felt like they threw in the towel. Grrrr.......

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2020
    Options

There seems to be other agendas (which I assume have to do with ratings) that impact the judges scores. I like the idea of giving several sets of scores, especially in the later weeks. It would also be very interesting if they would reveal the fan vote count for each contestant. Its no fun to watch a competition that seems rigged.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited November 2020
    Options

I didn't really enjoy this season at all. I don't like Tyra Banks as the host, but i guess that's just me? Like others i felt that Nev should have won & that Nelly had no business being in the final. I feel like DWTS has jumped the shark.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2021
    Options

Anyone else going to give it another try?

ABC announced which pros will battle it out in the ballroom on "Dancing With the Stars" season 30.

Artem Chigvintsev, the reigning Mirror Ball champion, leads the roster of talented dancers who will be paired with this season's celebrity contestants. The reveals exclusively take place Sept. 8 live on "Good Morning America."

Viewers won't find out the celeb-pro pairings until the season 30 premiere on Sept. 20.

The other male pros taking part in this landmark season include Brandon Armstrong, Alan Bersten, Val Chmerkovskiy, Sasha Farber, Pasha Pashkov and Gleb Savchenko.

The female pros for the milestone 30th season include Lindsay Arnold, Sharna Burgess, Cheryl Burke, Witney Carson, Jenna Johnson, Daniella Karagach, Emma Slater and Britt Stewart.

Previously announced celeb contestants include YouTuber JoJo Siwa, who will make history as the first celeb to be paired with a pro of the same sex, and Olympian Suni Lee, the gold medal-winning gymnast fresh off competing in Tokyo.

The judging panel for this landmark season will consist of Len Goodman, Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli and former pro Derek Hough.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2021
    Options

Yep, I'm in!

Here's the list of contestants. Thank goodness no Bachelorettes but there is a Bachelor. I'm happy about Olympic gold medalist gymnast Suni Lee. Love her and hope she does well:

Jojo Siwa

JoJo Siwa, an alum of Dance Mom, has more than 60.5 million followers on social media and over 3.6 billion views on YouTube.

Suni Lee

Suni Lee earned a gold medal as the all-around champion in women's gymnastics at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, making her the first Hmong American Olympian.

Country singer Jimmie Allen

Jimmie Allen made history as the first Black artist to launch a career with two consecutive No. 1 hits ("Best Shot" and "Make Me Want To") off his 2018 debut album "Mercury Lane".

Spice Girl Melanie C

A member of the iconic Spice Girls, Mel C needs no introduction!

Christine Chiu

Bling Empire

Brian Austin Green

Beverly Hills, 90210

Melora Hardin

The Office

Olivia Jade

Social media star and daughter of Full House star Lori Loughlin

Matt James

The Bachelor

Amanda Kloots

The Talk

Martin Kove

Cobra Kai

Mike "The Miz" Mizanin

WWE Superstar

Kenya Moore

The Real Housewives of Atlanta

Cody Rigsby

Peloton star instructor

Iman Shumpert

NBA star

• ruthbru
    edited September 2021
    Options

Darn, I have a meeting tomorrow night. Divine (and anyone else who wants to join us), you will have to watch & let me know what happens & if I should watch it later.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2021
    Options

You shouldn’t miss much, the first few weeks are always rather rough, but will keep you posted!

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2021
    Options

Wow! I think this was DWTS's best first episode! Lots of really good dancers! Jojo got paired with Jenna which didn't surprise me, and they were great! Mel C was good, so was Iman Shumpert tho scored low by judges, and the Olympic gymnast was good. The only really bad dancer of the bunch was the Cobra Kai guy. No real stand out because many showed lots of promise.

Looks like a few of the dancing pros got some face work done during the pandemic, haha!

Nice to see them all back.

* Cue the DWTS theme music,,,,,,

• ruthbru
    edited September 2021
    Options

I think I need to go back and watch it!

*I did watch the dances (skipped the judges remarks). Lots of fun dances and dancers!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2021
    Options

I did watch the whole show (next week I am gone again).

My impressions:
    * Why the weird costumes for Tyra? First she looked like she was wrapped in red saran wrap & second looked like sun or something.

* The completely obvious person was eliminated. Why was he on in the first place?!

*Yikes on Cheryl's positive Covid test despite being vaccinated (Editorial Note: Thank you unvaccinated people for screwing up all of our lives for another year).

*The Miz & Whitney- if she can channel all his energy he might be pretty good. He has the show biz part down & the athleticism.

*Jimmie & Emma-great lines, smooth moves & good chemistry.

*Amanda & Alan-I really liked`their routine. It was right out of an old-time musical

*Melanie & Gleb-very nice

*Suni Lee & Sasha-technically great, didn't like the music, he will need to get her to let go and show some personality, i think.

*JoJo & Jenna-very energetic, I think their vib is good for the fast, peppy numbers. I'm curious to see how that will translate when they are assigned dances that traditionally have more defined 'male/female' roles in the routine.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2021
    Options

Dh and I started laughing the second we saw Tyra in that second outfit and couldn't stop! I don 't get the wardrobe, either.

Good show. I love that there's no big controversial celebrity this season. I know some judge the same sex couple, but I think nothing of it. And there are numerous celebs who have the skill to go the distance, no one pulling out in front right now.

Agree with your comments about Jojo, Ruth, we need to see her range. She has dance background, so that's in her favor.

How about Ringo Star taped a cameo for Mel C???? Impressive. Her dance, average.

My fav was Amanda Kloots, legs for miles but she's a former Rockette so no wonder she can kick her leg so high her knee can literally touch her nose! Alan is so sweet, I love him being her partner.

I also liked Olivia Jade's dance. Not a big fan of the Miz, Brian Austin Greene or Kenya Moore but they danced okay. I dislike Sharna's platinum blonde hair, prefer the red. I really liked Cody Rigby's practice video, I hope that situation works out. I got teary eyed when Jimmie Alan talked about his childhood and "camping" in the living room because there was no electricity. Sasha is the perfect sweet partner for Suni Lee, I hope to see her blossom.. And hell of a flip at the beginning of her dance!

The other celebs didn't stand out so much to me but I didn't hate any of the dances altho the one sent home was expected.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2021
    Options

Olivia is maybe the prettiest girl that I have ever seen. I think Val will be able to do good things with her. Other than our eliminated guy, there were no dancers who were awful. Although judging from last night, Sharna's boyfriend may be the next lowest. I was also glad that the judges aren't just throwing out 9s & 10s from the start.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021
    Options

Another good show! It was “Britney Spears” night. Lots of quality dancers. My favorite of the evening was Olivia Jade. And the judges all loved her, too. Plus she looked fabulous in her form fitting lipstick pink dress.

Otoh, Tyra looked ridiculous in a schoolgirl uniform, channeling her inner Britney. I’m not a fan of Britney, but most of the contestants seemed to be crazy about her. Tyra’s second outfit of the night was a bit better, she looks great in green.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2021
    Options

I'm on a trip so missed it. I'll check it out when I'm home again.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2021
    Options

Well, Part 1 of Disney dances seemed more like a commercial for Disneyland/World/movies than anything else. I wasn't overwhelmed by any of the dances, although from watching Sharna & Bill, my observation is that being with your real-life partner might not be a good idea in a dance competition. I didn't hate either of Trya's costumes, so that was an improvement. They seemed to run out of time at the end.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021
    Options

Oh, great way to frame it, as a Disney advertisement! Yes! I also agree, no stand out performances and I didn't hate Tyra's clothes. I may even be getting used to her emcee style. Seems to kinda wing it at times but capable of asking contestants some good personal questions but not in the syrupy cheerleader way that Erin Andrews used to.

I'm glad the judges called out Sharna and Brian, I don't care at all for them. I think I actually liked Jojo and Jenna's dance best, but being the first one of the night, it's like the show peaked right off the bat then that was it. The judges loved Merlora and Artem and maybe they were good but their costuming was terrible. A different choice in colors and style would have elevated the dance. Very impressed that Iman Shumpert helped with the birth of his daughter at home! I like his personality. What is it with the gymnast Sunisa? Too stiff or something. Kenya Moore, terrible. I think Mel C as Mary Poppins should have received higher marks.

At least we aren't having to put up with really terrible dancers like Billy Ray Cyrus!