Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited February 2016
    Options

I hope you find some North Texas ladies to get a group together. I am too far away but I am cheering you on.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks jb. I keep hoping someone else will respond also. How's your reconstruction going?

• jbdayton
    edited February 2016
    Options

Getting my tattoos next Wednesday. I finally decided to stop. I got somewhat symmetrical and I think I can live with the final results.

I Haven't been able to find any bra other than a sports bra. No cute bras fit. Either I hang out of the cup on one side and fit in the other or the straps are too narrow for the excess fat and skin under the right arm pit and looks horrible. I have an appointment with the mastectomy bra store to see what other options I may have.

If I can't find a happy place my only option is to enhance the breast with some small implants behind my flaps. I still cannot commit to implants I just don't want any.

I am happy even with not perfect results. Yesterday was my 3 year post diagnosis date and I am clear of any cancer. That is the most important thing.

Looks like you just passed year 4. Congrats and thanks for continuing to support all the newbies and those of us who were still in active treatments and or reconstruction. I hope to follow in your footsteps and pay the support forward.

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2016
    Options

in the area. BMX almost a month ago. Interested in get-together.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,108
    edited February 2016
    Options

Interestingly enough I have never found any sisters in Houston interested in a meet - fourth largest city in the nation. Sorry luv, you're a long ways from me. Are you still talking about moving at retirement? jbDayton, hope everything went well today.

Can't make Hill Country Warriors in March, but will join you sometime since I can stay with my niece SE of San Antonio.

• NormaJean65
    NormaJean65 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2016
    Options

MinusTwo.........I live in Katy. I'm not on here very often so I missed it.

• woodstock99
    edited February 2016
    Options

Is there a get-together coming up or did I miss one?

• bootscootin
    bootscootin Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi, Minus, I am also in the Houston area (Pearland). I have only been a lurker here throughout my treatment but have read of groups in other areas of the country getting together. Seems like there ought to be more women in the Houston area like you mentioned. Let me know if you decide to try to get folks together for an outing.

• minustwo
    edited February 2016
    Options

Boots - When I started treatment in 2011 there was a lady from Friendswood who posted but she has disappeared. I have "talked" to a lady from Katy who's just starting tx. I hope more people will weigh in and we could have a lunch later in the spring.

• bootscootin
    edited February 2016
    Options

That would be good. It would be fun to meet even if it is just the two of us. I have a good friend in Atlanta who had BC but don't know anyone here who has had it.

• jbdayton
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am in a hidden group on Facebook of about 25 ladies from the area. In fact 6 of us met at La Madeleines in Pearlandlast August. Maybe we can set up a new thread and invite these ladies to join the discussion here or I can send you the link to join the private Facebook group.

• bootscootin
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks!

• woodstock99
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am in Dallas if anyone's lurking up here.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited February 2016
    Options

For anyone in the Austin area, we are trying to plan a get together for Feb 21st. All are welcome! We haven't decided on an exact location or time yet. For more info, go to the Hill Country Warriors thread or PM me, if you like. Would love to meet you!SillyHeart

Terri

• guessnoonecares
    guessnoonecares Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Options

Austinite here! My lumpectomy is scheduled for the 18th, so I'll be home healing on the 21st. Wish I could have joined in.

Maybe next time. Smile

• Merritmalloy
    Merritmalloy Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi everyone! I moved to Austin almost 2 years ago. Hoping someone could recommend a plastic surgeon who does recon. I had a umx with recon/silcone and lift and I'm toying with idea of removing implant. Would love to hear experiences with plastic surgeons people had good experience with. Thanks!

• minustwo
    edited March 2016
    Options

Merrit - check with WhippetMom on the thread link below. I believe she keeps listings for the entire country.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

• Merritmalloy
    Merritmalloy Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks!

• DH320
    DH320 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2021
    Options

hi there, anyone from the Killeen/Temple area?

I’m still fairly new to this. I have been diagnosed in early January 2021.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021
    Options

DH320 - I hope you get an answer. You'd think with a state this big we'd have more local/regional participation. The only group I see that posts consistently is the Austin area.

• DH320
    edited March 2021
    Options

well I finally have a surgery date. Monday the 22.03 they will do a lumpectomy on the right upper quadrant with removal of the auxiliary lymph nodes, also surgery on the left breast 9:00 position to remove benign neoplasm tissue. I guess we will go from there. The worst part of waiting on all the results is done. I’m still on the roller coaster of feelings but that was to be expected.

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 254
    edited March 2021
    Options

DH320, glad you have a surgery date! It's all progress and hope from here! There is a March Surgery link if you'd like to interact with others here going through surgery in March.

I'm here in Corpus Christi being bombarded by Spring Breakers.

Best of luck...

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...

• DH320
    edited March 2021
    Options

I truly feel sorry for you Murfy. Spring breakers do not seem to care about the welfare of other ppl, just their own fun. Hope you come out of spring break sane

• minustwo
    edited March 2021
    Options

Oh Mufry - me too. Can you hibernate this week?

Edited - I forgot to ask DH320, where are you having your surgery?

• DH320
    edited March 2021
    Options

Baylor Scott &White Tem

• Jessiei
    Jessiei Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi! Does anyone have any recommendation for oncologist in the DFW area? My current oncologist just retired so I’m searching for a new one. I live close to DFW airport. Thank you.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hello all. Nice that this thread has been resurrected! I'm in an unincorporated area outside of Houston. My treatment is at MD Anderson's IBC Clinic at Mays, as are my doctors. Most of my chemotherapy has happened at the League City campus.

I wonder if anyone has had a surgical oncologist at MDA that they recommend?

• minustwo
    edited April 2021
    Options

LW - my friend's husband had treatment at MDA, & they loved the oncologist - but I think she specializes in GI. Link attached just in case.

https://faculty.mdanderson.org/profiles/gauri_vara...

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited April 2021
    Options

Thanks, -2. I'm actually interested in surgical oncologists, breast surgery in particular. I should have made that more clear, sorry.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,603
    edited April 2021
    Options

LW, my breast surgeon for the lumpectomy I had at MDA was Dr. Abigail Caudle. She did a great job and I found here very well informed, particularly with regards to my decision of surgery vs no surgery.