Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

May 2024 Surgery Support Thread

moderators
moderators Posts: 8,560

Please gather here to get and give support. Feel free to share your type of surgery, date, and let us know how you're preparing and how you're doing post-surgery. We're all here for you!

Comments

• lynn_2024
    lynn_2024 Member Posts: 6

I am scheduled to have left breast mastectomy this Friday. Five years ago I had a lumpectomy on my left side after being diagnosed with DCIS grade3. I chose to not follow up with radiation or take Tamoxifen even though both were recommended. This time the biopsy showed DCIS grade 3 but without hormone receptors then the MRI lit up with 2 other masses that didn’t show up on mammogram or ultrasound so my surgeon recommended mastectomy with sentinel node removal. I am 53 years old and single. Living with my 81 year old mom to help her as she ages. Well, now she will be helping me through this recovery. I’m scared. Trying to be strong but worried about the recovery pain and eventually going back to work. I’m a dental hygienist which involves a lot of twisting and bending in a fast paced environment. Not having reconstruction done so prosthesis will be made. I’m rather large breasted and wonder how it will feel and look? Thanks for listening and all your advice on these posts.

• lynn_2024

Had left mastectomy done yesterday. I think the most uncomfortable part were the 4 isotope injections around the nipple so they could track the sentinel lymph nodes. Doing ok today. Keeping up Tylenol and Oxycodone as well as ice. Supper tired and itchy. Sore throat.

• lynn_2024

Keep Moving, praying for you today!

• adecker
    adecker Member Posts: 1

I had my DMX DTI on 5/10 - I just found this group. Thank you for allowing me to join after the fact. How is everyone healing?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560

@adecker, sorry you didn’t get any responses yet! You could try sending a private message to the members who posted here or joining other threads to connect with more people who’ve had a similar diagnosis or treatment.

We’re glad to have you here, and we're here to support you. Let us know how we can help!

The Mods