Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

FEMARA

Comments

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564

so far I have not had my cholesterol checked. Should this be part of the blood work that my mo does

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181

My chosterol was perfect before Femara, I asked my onc if we should check it and she said no big deal, it's not going to go up that much. She's the one I don't care for....

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063

My PCP said we don't care about your cholesterol for at least a year because you need it to heal from chemo. So I'm going to continue eating right and exercising and not worry about it. I don't want to be on any more drugs anyway. (Not saying that is the right choice for everyone.)

• marijen

yes, actually cholesterol is needed to build cells and statins are very very bad. Two walnuts a day are my secret weapon. Searcg foods that lower cholesterol

• dventi
    dventi Member Posts: 100

hi ladies - anyone have dizziness with!Femara that comes on like a lion and thenfor months will never have this Se?

Went to PCP said all is good but will do blood work to see if any deficiencies.

I have been on femara for 3 years - can it come and go over the course of tx?

Thank you!!

• thinkingpositive

joint and pain in the shoulder after laying down for a long period ?? Whole body also feels stiffs swell? Is this from the Fermara

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216

probably. Thinkingpositive, sounds familiar to me. Getting out of the car after a long ride? OW!!

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

Am so stiff in the AM hard to get out of bed. Get cramps in my calf at night and it's hard to sit up over the edge of the bed to press my foot into the floor tofix it

• thinkingpositive

I just worry as to how you tell the difference between side effects from Fermara and the other reason for pain

• marijen

cloesmom, I get the same and some days are better and some worse. I don't think it's going to get worse than it is now.

• Chloesmom

just started with pain in both thumbs at the lower knuckle too. It hurts into the palm. Hard to twist the lid off of a jar even if the lid is loose. I've had pain at the base of my thumb in the past but this is new in this joint and is on both hands. Tonight my ankles locked up and cracked when I had to force them to move. Still beats cancer

• ShetlandPony

ThinkingPositive, for me the letrozole pain, stiffness, and swelling improve or go away after a few minutes of careful movement. If I am still for too long I have to start over.

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216

Same comments as shetland pony. I have to sidestep down the stairs in the am if I don't have time to get moving.

Magensium helps a bit.

• knittingPT
    knittingPT Member Posts: 10

I agree with the comments about stiffness. If I stay in one position too long I feel it. Once I get moving, it goes away.

Chloesmom, can you describe your thumb pain? I've just recently started having a weird thing happen where it feels like the joint is unstable or something is popping/moving. It is really weird but goes away as fast as it comes. I can't figure out what brings it on to reproduce it or figure it out. Is that what yours is like?

• shoppygirl
    shoppygirl Member Posts: 110

Hello Ladies

I just switched to letrozole on Friday after two years on Tamoxifen. So far no big changes yet to what I was feeling before but it has only been 3 days.

It's nice to read everyone's posts!

Hugs to all.

• Chloesmom

Thumbs hurt at the joint so that if I massage my palmnear the web space between the thumb and index finger it feels bruised. Makes it hard to hold a pencil to write

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467

Those of you with the thumb pain, google 'de quervain's tenosynovitis.' I suffered from this for over 6 months from Arimidex. Some women have also suffered from trigger finger from the meds as well.

• Chloesmom

That affects the tendons at the base of the thumb that extend your thumb out to the side. I had that years ago from lifting my baby. What I have now is deep joint pain. Hurts into the palm when I bring thumb in along finger

• marijen

I wonder if all this joint pain is causing joint damage..

• ShetlandPony

Marijen, I don't know anything about the thumb pain being discussed, but regarding the typical letrozole pain/stiffness/swelling in the hands, my onc says it is from fluid, and that the joints are not being damaged as they would be with arthritis. So it should go away when you stop the med.

• Tammy_M43
    Tammy_M43 Member Posts: 565

knittingPT, sounds like trigger finger to me. I had symptoms where my fingers joints temporarily "locked" and clicked. Fingers crossed (no pun intended) it has gone but I did have it for at least 6 months.

Good luck

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

Shetland - thst is really good to know about the fluid. Thanks for that

• Chloesmom

woke up with trigger thumb! Hard to hold a toothbrush. Crazy!

• aoibheann
    aoibheann Member Posts: 254

Stiffness and achyness seem to be the main SEs for me on letrosole too. I'm like an old woman when I get up from sitting or lying down. My back is stiff and crooked until I 'warm' up. I read somewhere here that taking magnesium is helpful. What dosage should one take and is it mag. oxide? Does magnesium have any SEs?

Marijen, what's the story about statins pse? I had highish cholestrol prior to dx and am on 5mg of rosuvastatin daily. Does the statin just make the stiffness worse or is there some interaction?

• farmerlucy

I'm taking 2 - 250 mg pills. My gyn said it might help w HF? She also said I'd pee out any my body doesn't need. I dunno. I'm going with it. I wonder if it affects sleeps because I've been sleeping like a baby.

• farmerlucy

here's what I'm takingimage

• marijen

Thanks Shetland Pony!

• aoibheann
    aoibheann Member Posts: 254

Thanks, farmerlucy. Do you take it at night? Good to hear that you just get rid of excess naturally, no bad SEs if too much taken. I forgot about the HF and the perspiration! I thought that m ight be a SE of faslodex. I get so hot that sweat literally pours down my face. Not a pretty sight!

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

Farmerlucy....do you take the mag at bedtime?

• farmerlucy

I take everything in the morning. (Nine lovely pills all but one courtesy of that small orangish yellow beauty.