Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FEMARA

Options
1347348349350351353»

Comments

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 887
    Options

Margin is it both shoulder or one. If one did you have radiation therapy on that side?

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

I did not have radiotherapy on that side. My X-ray results are out. The diagnosis is calcific tendinitis. I take 1000mg calcium per day to fight osteoporosis but I do not think that caused this issue

• brutersmom
    Options

That sounds painful. Are they going to give you a cortisone shot or Physical therapy.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

physio did not help. I will have a cortisone injection in June. I do not know if I can do anything to prevent this calcification happening again. Anyone had a such issue. I do not know what caused it.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 893
    Options

@margun , I had calcific tendonitis in my shoulder long before I had bc. It seems to be caused by wear and tear as well as aging. As a former competitive swimmer mine was probably due to overuse (all that freestyle.) Cortisone injections (two six months apart) worked for me.

• brutersmom
    Options

I need to reach out to my oncologist about an issue I am having. I have a rare but sever neuropsychological reaction to aromatase inhibitors. Much of it is under control with effexor. This reaction is not manageable with over the counter meds. It is sever, so please don't suggest them. I am trying to explain how I feel when I go to bed at night to. I am exhausted. When I lay down I feel edgy and start tossing and turning. I have been given a sleep aid hydorzine palomate which helps take the edge off but I still can't fall asleep until about 3 or 4 in the morning. I want to say my inside feel shaky. I just don't know how to describe what I feel. Just looking for ideas or words on how to explain it.

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 206
    Options

For sure reach out to your oncologists office. I have been on it with a number of other drugs, but now only with Plavix for my blood clot. I hope you get an answer soon.

• mabellean
    mabellean Member Posts: 23
    Options

Gulp.

About to start taking Femara tomorrow.

Is it really going to be worth it?

I had a 5 way heart operation but now 2 have re-blocked arteries plus my left (widow maker) is 50% blocked.

What will Femara do to those arteries?

The side effects may be daunting.

Will taking calcium supplements as GP and oncologist suggest further block these arteries?

Already taking Vitamins D3 and Vit K2.

Yet to be determined with an upcoming appointment with a radiologist if I need courses of radiation for 3-4 weeks - 5 days a week.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 893
    Options

Hi @mabellean , It would be a good idea to have your cardiologist weigh in on aromatase inhibitors, calcium supplements and radiation. Doctors look at treatments through the eyes of their specialities. My gastroenterologist and endocrinologist thought the increased risk of esophageal cancer and a blocked airway respectively outweighed the increased chance of a cancer recurrence so I declined AIs. Also, your heart and lungs could be in the radiation field so it is wise to have all pertinent information before starting a new treatment. I hope things work out well for you.

• going2beatthis
    going2beatthis Member Posts: 124
    Options

I have been on Verzenio and Letrozole for 3 years. The manufacture for the Letrozole had been Accord. In August, I went to a different pharmacy and started getting more dry/itchy eyes and headaches. I looked at the bottle yesterday and noticed that this pharmacy dispenses a generic that is manufactured by Teva. In addition to the dry/itchy eyes and headaches, the lesion in my skull which had not shown any activity prior, did show activity on both the MRI done in January and the PET/CT scan earlier this month. My radiation onc is suggesting I consider radiation, although he said it was not urgent. My next MRI will be in mid May.

Since my onc said it is the Letrozole that is "doing all the hard work", I am trying to decide if I should try Femara (the Brand version of the drug which Novartis will cover through their PANO program) or go back to the Accord manufactured Letrozole.

Has anyone on this thread either changed to/used Femara or changed the generic manufacturer they were using. What, if anything, happened re your results/side effects?

All input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• brutersmom
    Options

I had that problem with Arimidex several years ago. I was on Teva and got switched to Accord and first pill my mouth and lips started tingling. I switched back to Teva and was fine. Probably a filler.

• mabellean
    Options

Thank you so much @maggie15

I tried appealing to my cardiologist with no success alas.

UPDATE:

I was turned down after having a stress test run to get the stent I believe I need in my left coronary artery which is 50% blocked. 2 other of my coronary arteries are now occluded also.

So disappointed that a heart functioning only 50-55% heart is not worthy of a heart catherization. My angina is being minimized as it could be indigestion. WRONG!

It was determined I would not need radiation treatments at this time but wait until the end of July to see if my cancer has returned determined by mammogram, sonogram, and MRI.

The radiologist did clue me in that a mammogram and sonogram are NOT enough to catch small mm cancer and I should have a MRI as well. I will be sure to press his office to make sure the breast center does another MRI like the first time.

NOW on Day 19 of Letrozole and exhaustion and imbalance is setting in.

I take a supplement of Glucosamine, MSM, and Chondroitin capsule and instead of calcium supplement I believe would further block my arteries opted for a scoup of collagen peptides,

I began physical therapy today to be 3 days a week for at least 1 month to strengthen my legs and improve coordination.

My POTS condition that produces low blood pressure readings always a concern when I have been exercising or get too hot easily.

Does anyone else have coronary heart disease and blocked arteries?

High blood pressure mixed with too low of blood pressure?

Been turned down for stent implantation?

Have trouble falling asleep?

Suggestions?!

~ Mabellean

• going2beatthis
    going2beatthis Member Posts: 124
    Options

@mabellean Sorry to read you are having to deal with all of this. Have you considered seeing another cardiologist for a second opinion?

• mabellean
    Options

I have had a second opinion cardiologist and he refused to stent and wanted to put me on mRNA Infusions!

mRNA??? Please!!! I was aghast at that.

To me this is a matter of the doctors afraid Medicare or Humana Supplemental will not pay them.

Did the 2nd opinion Doc not know about COVID Jabs cause cancer and heart damage???

I wish I lived in Nashville, TN and could go to Ascension St. Thomas.

It is the "go to" in our state (and most of the Southeast) for cardio-pulmonary care.

As is the "go to" Vanderbilt in Nashville for Cancer.

My father was helped by St. Thomas but eventually surcomed to heart failure at age 73.

My mother died of multiple myeloma at age 71 and lived 3 1/2 years with this disease thanks to the help of Vandy. They typical prognosis was 6 mo.

I have got to place my FAITH in GOD now.

I pray I will be healed completely every single night or be taken to Heaven.

God's will.

~ Mabellean

• potterylover
    potterylover Member Posts: 1
    Options

HI Group,

I am so torn as to what to do regarding taking hormone therapy due to the bone pain. My choices would be Anastrozole or Letrozole. I had an estrogen receptor tumor had a lumpectomy no cancer in lymph nodes. My doctor said " If you take these pills for 5 years you have a 3% chance of recurrence anywhere in the body. If I don't take them, it's a 6% chance of cancer coming back anywhere in my body, she said. After reading the posting the side effects are not easy and I already have arthritis. Have any of you found that suffer from arthritis in feet or knee or knee that these meds have made you pain worse? Thank you for any information you might have that can help me make a better-informed decision. Yikes if only our choices were easier…

Thank you, Pottery lover :)

• mabellean
    Options

I too share @potterylover 's concern.

What aromatase inhibitor carries the least amount of side effects?

Has anyone given …

"5 years you have a 3% chance of recurrence anywhere in the body. If I don't take them, it's a 6% chance of cancer coming back anywhere in my body."

Which is what I was quoted also by my oncologist practicing near Knoxville who is a Vanderbilt Graduate. He if anyone would be the most qualified I could have in this area.

As he said, "Let's give this the ole college try."

I will meet back up with him May 15, for labs and discussion. I am to call his office if I feel the side effects are too overwhelming. We may be able to try something else.

From what I am reading here and elsewhere the side effects can be debilitating at about 2 months into the process.

My problem is not as much with oncology as it is with cardiologists that will not factor in the cancer further diagnosis complications. I can't help thinking that it is a matter of them worried they will not get paid if they do not stick to the under 50% heart failure number and coronary artery must be 70% blocked.

Or that I may die on the table getting a stent. That should be my option as far as I am concerned. As a born from above follower of I AM I do not fear death. I look forward to the day I see Jesus' face-to-face. I have no death wish however. I certainly cannot take my own life. I simply do not want to be a burden to my dear husband of 40 1/2 years.

Nor do any of the doctors (GP and cardiologists) seem to grasp the counter-intuitive problem of taking calcium supplements of 1500 mg on already calcified arterial walls.

I DO have a very sweet story of courage of a medical professional to share one of the members of our private distribution list of pastors, oncology nurses, dear "adopted" family-friends and blood kin sent me. (NEXT POST) and my reaction.

• mabellean
    Options

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 10:44 AM
    Subject: Fw: Courage
    To: <mabellean> & <her beloved husband>

<mabellean>.

The world needs more brave people like this man.  

I hope you guys have a good weekend !!!

Much love,

J'sJ

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/03/meet-mo-v-biden-plaintiffs-celebrated-psychiatrist-aaron/

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Peter%201&version=NKJV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Peter%201&version=NKJV

Jsj,

Wow!

Breathtakingly brave

Thank you for this JsJ!

This remind me of the Verses we read from Bible Gateway Verse of the Day of St. Peter this week in 1 Peter and 2 Peter as he faced his death coming shortly to be hung upside down as he requested on a cross.

He still encouraged others how to live in the face of incredible odds.

I really needed to hear good news today. The more ill I become the more I think about eternal destination. These are the times that try our souls.

I have learned from the Breast Cancer ORG Forum what kindness helping each other the most important attribute we inherit when we are born from above with The Holy Spirit.

The very women who are suffering the most still engender courage to stand in the face of incredible odds against them. One can surely see this Doctor who teaches medical ethics if any will go to Heaven for standing.

Amen and Amen.

~ <mabellean>