Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

FEMARA

Comments

• HelenNC
    HelenNC Member Posts: 21

Hello all! I have taken the time to read almost this whole thread before I posted. I have been on Femora for over a year. The 2 worst side effects I have is not sleeping and terrible pain in both arms. I have been absultely miserable all this time. But it has all changed!

At the start of the summer weather, I started going to our community pool. With the use of my pool noodle, I started doing swimming exercises using my arms and legs. I have to admit, it was not a pretty site! But I was moving! My legs were fine during the exercise, but the pain was unbearable. At first I was only able to go half the pool before I was almost in tears. Each day I built up more time with the arm exercise.

I am now able to continue working anywhere from one hour to 3 hours in the pool working. Maybe not all together, some breaks in between. But the results have been unbelievable!!!!!

The pain is very subtle, almost gone. My energy level is almost back to pre-cancer. AND....I am sleeping again! Before I couldn't fall asleep til 3 or 4am each nite, then sleep til almost 11am. Since last Thursday, I am up between 8:30 or 9 each day!!!! My energy level is great! Of course I don't know what I'll do if it rains a day! lol

I hope my experience can help others. I plan on increasing my exercise a bit each day. Helen

• gingerstx
    gingerstx Member Posts: 32

Congratulations, HelenNC!  That's great to hear!  Hope it continues. 

• onward
    onward Member Posts: 229

Helen,

I too have been working out in my pool. I am blessed to have it only a few steps from my kitchen. But the bad news is I live outside chicago and our weather has been pretty lousy for swimming. Glad its made a difference for you and hope eventually it does for me as well.

Said goodbye to my Onc but he is giving me a script that should help with the joint pain and sleeplessness (failed to mention that) and I will give it another month. Onward

• joan888
    joan888 Member Posts: 711

HelenNC... so glad that you have had success with swimming and exercise.  I was having the same result with lots of swimming exercises.  Just had an exchange surgery and still waiting for my incisions to heal up a little better before hopping back in the pool.  Can't wait!

Onward... hop in the pool!  It's going to be HOT here in Chicago area later this week. Summer is finally here.  Probably not the best thing for us dealing with Lymphedema, but that is a whole nother thing!

• Bette223
    Bette223 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, I am also onFemara and I have a question.  Does any experience fatique from this med.?  I sure do.  I am going to try and take it at night. Hope the heck it works.  Thanks
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Bette223-my fatigue went away after taking Femara at night instead of morning.  Good luck

• nanna
    nanna Member Posts: 138

My  onc is changing me to arimidex (generic) I can get for $10.00  Hope i dont have any more are different side effects.

• Bette223

thanks eph, I just took it now. Hopefully it will be better than taking it in the AM.  I appreciate your feedback.

• ariesrottie
    ariesrottie Member Posts: 43

Anyone have any idea how to get Femara at 10 not 35 or 50 dollars? The coupon that i just recieved yesterday from my oncologist expired 6/15/11. So this month i paid full price . I have only been on it since November. Shouldn't I get a full years worth or up to 800.00?

Any suggestions?

Donna 

• ariesrottie
    ariesrottie Member Posts: 43

Bette223- I am so tired with this... My legs feel like lead........ But hardly any side effects. I thought I had knee problem with it but that wasn't the case.

Donna 

• Bette223

Hi ariesrottie.  Yes the legs discomfort is not fun. Mine got so bad I took a tylenol3.  That seems to have helped with that problem. EPH suggested I take the med at night and very little SE's presently.  I am hoping it remains like this.  I am very greatful for her suggestion.

Have a save, happy and healthy holiday

• Bette223

Hi again aires, do you know the med is now in generic form?

• jjjsjames
    jjjsjames Member Posts: 24

Just got the generic yesterday for $15

• x-raygirl
    x-raygirl Member Posts: 97

HelenNC- thank you so very much for sharing that!!! I had sx today and will hit the pool as soon as I have recovered. Your post gives me hope.

The anesthesiologist today told me thtat acupuncture really helps Femara symptoms- will let you know. Nighty night! - Daiva

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

Onc took me off Femara today and is putting me on Arimidex. The SE's were just too bad and taking the pill at night didn't help. Wish me luck!

• eph3_12

sorry rohanna-hope that arimidex is the answer.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734

Just wondering if anyone is willing to share their current estrodiol levels.

My most recent was 32. I am trying to make a decision about hormone suppressors/blockers

• listmaker
    listmaker Member Posts: 6

Marilee: Just had my estrodiol level checked for the first time last week and it came back at <3 on the sensitive LabCorp test. I have been on Femera since Oct this year but the first of June I decided to take half a pill to see if my back pain lessened. So when I had my blood tested I had been taking 1/2 pill for 3 weeks. I was exceptionally pleased with the number. I have an apt with the MO on Friday next week and it will be interesting to see what he says about it.

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656

Rohanna

I took my last Femara last night.  I get to take a one week break before trying Arimidex.  I hope we both have better luck on it.  The week I went back to my oncologist it even hurt to touch my fingers at night.  I can deal with my knee and joints when getting up and down but I can not deal with the fingers hurting in my sleep.   I also have trigger finger in both my middle fingers.  The right one is worst.  I am so hoping this improves.

I have not had my estrodiol levels checked since last year and it was a 23.  My NP says it is not necessary to check it since I had the hyst. and ooph.

• elizabethanne
    elizabethanne Member Posts: 2

Hello ladies,

I started Femara two months ago.  I think I've noticed a few SE, but nothing unbearable. After sitting at my desk for 4 hours straight, I feel and look like a 100 year old woman trying to hobble around.  Little spots of arthritis that I've had for a few years are more pronounced.  Plus, I'm more emotional than I've been in 20 years.  I don't know if it's caused by the Femara or just from life/work/cancer stress.   I guess time will tell.

Kittydog,  You mentioned that you take Vitamin D and Calcium.  Were the amounts you mentioned per day or per week?  I'm asking because I've been on 10,000 once a week for a year now.

I'm so thankful that I am not alone in this journey.  It's such a comfort to listen to your stories.

Elizabeth

• elizabethanne
    elizabethanne Member Posts: 2

I didn't realize that generic Femara is made by many different pharmaceutical companies.

June 6:  The Food and Drug Administration has approved a dozen new generic versions of a drug used to treat breast cancer, the agency said Monday.

The FDA said that on Friday it approved versions of Novartis' drug Femara (letrozole) made by Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Dr. Reddy's Labs, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Impax Labs, Endo Pharmaceuticals, Roxane Labs, Accord Healthcare, Synthon Pharmaceuticals, Natco Pharma, Indicus Pharma, Fresenius Kabi Oncology and Kudco Ireland

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656

Elizabeth,

That is per day. 4000IU's of Vitamin D and then what ever is in the Calcium I am able to get down.  Having big problems still swallowing Calcium.  Found some nice gummies and then read it is the worst type of calcium for you.  However I guess some is better than none.  

I wish all of you the best on this journey with our meds.  I will still read from time to time.  

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332

My oncologist refuses to check my estrodiol levels, my Vitamin D levels, my cholesterol levels ... etc. etc. etc.

• Bette223

very well said Eph.  I tried the med at night and you are so right.  Feel much better with just a little discomfort during the day.  However, not everyday.  Thanks again for your input.

• Bette223

Hi Donna.  Taking the medication at night is so much better.  Where in NYC are ya?  Manhattan? I grew up and was educated in Flushing.  Now in New Jersey

• NormaJean65
    NormaJean65 Member Posts: 173

I have dropped in on this board to ask one question about Femra.  Those of you who have had SEs when did they start?  I originally was on Arimadex for appox. 3 1/2 the SEs were more than I could stand.  Next put on Femara.......true less SEs but the few I am dealing with is very worrisome.....unbelievably sore hips & knees, what is next??   I am HIGH risk osteoporosis.  It seems crazy to put the Bovia (once a month), the calcium and Vit.D (wkly) in my body in the morning and that very same evening put in my body that is undoing everything.  My husband is adamant about putting me on Tamoxfin.  I am postmenopausal many years.

Is there anyone here that has switched from Als to Tamoxfin?   Regardless, they all have their drawbacks.  Can anyone help with info ???

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi Norma Jean,

Complaining to my Onco about heavy SE's he proposed to switch me from Femara to Tamoxifen, but having had thrombosis two years ago I didn't dare to do it. For months I was on pain killers; Glucosamine, D3, Calcium helped little by little, the most helpful are remaining exercises, massages, swimming, acupuncture and warm sunny weather now in summer.

Try to sustain still for some months, I'm getting better after 15 months ...

Some DR's are saying Tamox is very doable.

Best wishes

Usha

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi dear ladies,

Being on Femara for 15 months, having had a lot of SE's and coping with quite successfully, finally I got rash - first on upper arm and now all the hands over and on the back too. Getting Claritine (Schering) from my PCP didn't help. I'm looking for advice what you other ladies are doing or taking in such case.

Thanking in advance.

Greetings

Usha (English isn't my native language)

• eph3_12

slousha, are you sure you didn't get into something that's causing the rash?  Sorry, I haven't had that reaction so I can't offer any suggestions.  I HATE to itch!  Good luck

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332

It's exactly BECAUSE I've gotten so many side effects from Femara and from chemo that I'm afraid to switch to Tamoxifen. Since I seem so sensitive to drugs' side effects, I'm terrified of blood clots. So I put up with the severe pain instead, and count the years until I take my last pill.