Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

In honor of Annie/HeatherBLocklear

Options
AnnNYC
AnnNYC Member Posts: 236

Dear all:

Here are two ways we can memorialize Annette Olsen-Fazi, whose screenname is HeatherBLocklear, signed "Annie", "Annie Camel Tail", "Annie Young & Gorgeous":

SCHOLARSHIP FUND: The Annette Olsen-Fazi Memorial Scholarship fund at TAMIU (Texas A&M International University) will accept credit card donations or checks.  Within that fund, you can identify your gift as coming from the "Elephant Sisters" and your name will be recorded as well. Thanks to Ms. Candy Hein at TAMIU for setting this up.  For credit card gifts you can phone: 956.326.2175.  To mail a check, you can print out the University's Gift Transmittal form (halfway down this page: http://www.tamiu.edu/adminis/vpia/forms.shtml) , and mail it with a check to : TAMIU - Office for Institutional Advancement, 5201 University Blvd., KL-261, Laredo, TX 78041-1900.

ROSES: The Canyon Lake Presbyterian Church (where the service will be held) referred me to their local florist who has access to the church and can handle our orders:

Small Favors Florist: 866-460-3995 or 830-964-3989.

They will accept orders for single roses, to be put in vase(s) with card(s) saying "With love from sisters on BCO Discussion Boards" -- also listing individual names/screen names.  Because it is so close to Valentine's Day (service is on Sunday Feb 15), they asked if mixed colors would be okay.  Personally, I think that will be beautiful.  They can accept orders through Friday, but I think the sooner the better.  I spoke to both Susan, the owner of the shop, and Crystal, who were both incredibly sweet.

Annie had such love and devotion for her students, for teaching, for her profession... 

(words fail me, I miss her so)

..but I do think contributions to a scholarship fund in her name will be memorial that means most to her.

Thank you all, and especially whoopsiedoodles and yellowrose,

Love,

Ann

P.S. I am posting here just to let everyone know.  There are already two threads with thoughts of Annie that her daughter is visiting, so please consider this one just an announcement, and I encourage you to post your thoughts of Annie on one of these earlier threads:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topic/727488?page=1

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topic/728405?page=1

Comments

• AnnNYC
    edited February 2009
    Options

Update: I ordered a vase of 3 roses, so there will definitely be flowers delivered to the church.  Susan, the florist, will add however many roses people choose to call in and pay for ($10 per rose, and only one delivery charge, which I have paid, whether it is 3 roses or  300).

Love,

Ann

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ann - bless you for attending to this for us.  I got such a kick out of her posts and always looked forward to her many aliases! 

How I wished I had told her how much she helped me through my darkest days.

Susan

• AnnNYC
    edited February 2009
    Options

Bumping for anyone who wishes to add a rose before Friday...

• yellowrose
    yellowrose Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2009
    Options

I talked to the florist today and she said that she has been getting calls.  

• AnnNYC
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks for the update, yellowrose.

xoxox, Ann

• Traci-----TripNeg
    Traci-----TripNeg Member Posts: 567
    edited February 2009
    Options

I think this is a beautiful idea and I love that it is happening again. Edited to say....sad beyond belief also though......... that it is happening again.

Count me in!

• AnnNYC
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi all -- just want to report that Femme, NancyD and I had a little "wake" at a French restaurant in Annie's honor.  The food, wine and desserts were delicious.  Femme made a beautiful little card that we signed, that she will send to Annie's family.  I raised my glass (more than one) in the name of everyone who couldn't make it tonight and asked me to raise a glass for them!!!

It was lovely to be together, savoring the kinds of things that Annie loved so much.  We agreed that wherever she is, she's really angry right now...  I love you Annette, and am so sorry you couldn't be with us, but you know that some day, we will all be with you.  As GodsGal said on another thread today, everybody alive on earth is "stage 4" in the sense that we're all on the brink of eternity....

...which is reminding me of a poem I encountered in college, by William Oldys (who lived from 1696 to 1761):

Busy, curious, thirsty fly!
    Drink with me and drink as I:
    Freely welcome to my cup,
    Couldst thou sip and sip it up:
    Make the most of life you may,
    Life is short and wears away.

Both alike are mine and thine
    Hastening quick to their decline:
    Thine's a summer, mine no more,
    Though repeated to threescore.
    Threescore summers, when they're gone,
    Will appear as short as one...

Sorry if that seems either too grim or too light...  The words are just in my head tonight.  Annie was 60 -- threescore summers.  And she was always insistent that everyone "make the most of life."

Love,

Ann

• femme
    femme Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was with AnnNYC and NancyD last night, at a little "wake" for Annie in a French restaurant in NYC.  It was very moving to see how much tender feeling and compassion we all felt for Annie's family.  It was also very moving and somewhat extraordinary to see the kind of friendships that can develop on this board.  I had never met Ann or Nancy, was surveying the bar to guess who might be one of them and felt silly when I said to the waitress "I'm waiting for some people." I had no idea what either of them looked like.  When we finally all connected, there were warm big hugs and a sense that we had known each other for a long time.  Actually in a sense we had.  Ann put together a compilation of some of Annie's writings for each of us.

We ate well and each of us had sinfully rich desserts (2 were chocolate and one a vanilla cheese cake!!)  I think Annie was present, as some water on our table was somehow very much spilled. I went home thinking how lucky I was to have met such terrific people.  May Annie's spirit frequent french restaurants with regularity.

femme    

• AnnNYC
    edited February 2009
    Options

I just found a story online about a memorial service for Annie (Annette) held at TAMIU on February 12 (coincidentally, the day Femme, NancyD and I got together here in New York):

http://media.www.thebridgenewspaper.com/media/storage/paper1120/news/2009/02/27/News/Dr.Annette.OlsenFazi.Remembered-3652624.shtml

I also found this obituary, with links to a guest book:
    http://www.legacy.com/SanAntonio/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=123840248

Thinking of Annie (and Twink, Deb, Angela, Dawn, CalGal...)

• Alaindeloin
    Alaindeloin Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009
    Options

thank you so much for honoring my mother's memory.

I miss her so much,it is unbearable.

Keep up the fight!!

• AnnNYC
    edited April 2009
    Options

Dear Stephanie/Alaindeloin,

Please know that I have been thinking of you -- sorry I didn't see your post here until today.

Much love,

Ann

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2009
    Options

Dear Stephanie and Alaindeloin

Another one thinking of you and your family, and missing your Mom, our Dear Annie Camel Breath, like crazy.

Big cyber hugs to you all.

• icandothis
    icandothis Member Posts: 70
    edited April 2009
    Options

Stephanie -

Our Annie, your mom Annette,  was an amazing woman. I'm sorry that you are hurting - hope that it fades to a dull ache soon.

Go take care of your lovely girls, as you know your mom would tell you.

Thanks for thinking of us - you're in our prayers too.

Sue - Elephant Sister