Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can biopsies cause cancer to spread?

Options
124»

Comments

• carmstr835
    carmstr835 Member Posts: 147
    Options

Italychick, I wish I was as lucky as you. Even with a birads5 they refused to do an excisional biopsy.

• vijaykapoor
    vijaykapoor Member Posts: 1
    Options

Did she do any other treatment for that micro invasion of sentinel nodes?

• klvans
    klvans Member Posts: 199
    Options

After watching my biopsy I asked my Dr. about it. She said no.

• NicolaSue
    NicolaSue Member Posts: 18
    Options

I had a vacuum assisted excision biopsy designed to take the whole lump out but during the procedure the machine failed!! The doctor said that she had almost got clear margins and so she would leave it at that as they didn't have a second machine. I have therefore spent a whole year wondering what impact this will have. However I can't do anything about it. No one would go in there again as it was 'only' LCIS so I just have to live with that fear that a 'bad' biopsy might do some harm.

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

hello I'm new here recently diagnosed with IDC 1A and tumor on Oct 23 2018 was 1.9 cm. Had biopsy done fiund ouy it is triple positive and went for breast MRI last week and now my tumor has been broken up into 5 separate pieces and they have moved!! Original tumor was at 11 o'clock in my left nreast and I have pieces at 11..12...3 ..6. And 2 o'clock. The 6 o'clock one is now large enough that I can feel it in the shower. I have to have a bi-layeral ultrasound tomorrow per surgeon and possible biopsy in the right breast as 2 new neoplasms have shown up at 11 & 12. I was originally to undergo a left lumpectomy but now I'm sure that is even possible anymore. I'm really REALLY pissed that it was once a "nice neat little tumor" and now it's seeded out. Surgeon told me when we met that the radiologist made a "mess: doing 5he biopsy now I see why she said that.

Sorry I'm feeling really bummed right now amd trying to keep the sun shining in the shafows right now.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Sending you hugs nanette7fl. We hope that you can answers soon, and not have to endure any more biopsies. Medicating

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Such an interesting thread. My core needle biopsy felt very violent because I had small, dense breasts. The doctor had to really manipulate the tissue to get to the area for biopsy. My tumor was closer to my chest wall so that really makes me anxious. And I don't think mine was a vacuum assisted device which should be a gold standard if it reduces potential of seeding. Just look at the new information that has come out about greater risk of seeding with laparoscopic surgery for cervical cancer! When I was 30, I had a suspicious mass removed in my right breast surgically. I have to say having had both types of biopsies the surgical one seems to be safer (because you get the entire mass). I do worry about any errant cells even though I did a BMx.