Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lynn Redgrave is gone - Gee, thanks, BC!

Options
icandothis
icandothis Member Posts: 70
edited June 2014 in May Their Memory Live On

Lynn Redgrave has always been one of my favorite actresses. She starred in a movie in the 1960s about being a big, awkward girl, who falls in love with ... well, it's a long story.

But, anyway, I would always go out of my way to see her in a movie (she was in Shine) or TV.

When she found out her husband was cheating on her, and stealing her money, she went on national TV and told the whole world what a stinker he was.

She was diagnosed with lymph node involvement in 2003, wrote a book with her daughter about being a survivor, and died today in Connecticut.

In between, she did a lot of stage work mostly. I'll miss her. The whole world needs fierce, strong women like her.

Sue

Comments

• kfinnigan
    kfinnigan Member Posts: 490
    edited May 2010
    Options

She said she wanted to die from eating too much chocolate and not from BC.  Stupid disease!

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited May 2010
    Options

Sue, the movie you're thinking about is Georgie Girl.

I also am saddened by her passing. In my local paper it said that her brother just died a couple of months ago.  I feel bad for her sister Vanessa, who was perhaps a better known actress but I truly thought they were both great. 

Another Sue

• LizM
    LizM Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2010
    Options

I am also very saddened by her death.  Just walked 40 miles in the Avon Walk in DC the last coupe of day. - we so need to find a cure for this horrible disease.  I have been searching for details on her treatment for breast cancer but have not been able to find any.  She seemed to be fairly quiet about the particulars of her disease but not about having breast cancer.  Does anyone know what stage she was when diagnosed in 2003. 

• AnnNYC
    AnnNYC Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2010
    Options

Oh, that brings a tear to my eye -- Sue, I remember "Georgie Girl" so well, both the movie and the song.

I'll miss her, too.

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    edited May 2010
    Options

I'm so sorry to have heard she died.  She helped with one of the pony clubbers in my daughters club and was so gracious to the kids.  Funny, I never  knew when I met her that she was a BC sister.  I hope her family finds comfort in beautiful memories.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited May 2010
    Options

I loved Lynn Redgrave. I so much associated with her character in 'Georgie Girl', I was the plain ackward girl in school and I too looked for her work in the movies or TV. She will be missed.

Sheila

• greenfrog
    greenfrog Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2010
    Options

She was one of our greatest actresses. She was here in London only a few weeks ago for her brother Corin's funeral and she looked so frail and unwell. I had no idea she had developed secondaries. She was my heroine in Georgy Girl - massively influential to me as a big lollopy teenager.

Vanessa Redgrave has lost her daughter, her brother and her sister in less than a year.

• AnnNYC
    AnnNYC Member Posts: 236
    edited May 2010
    Options

greenfrog, I was thinking the same thing -- poor Vanessa.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,245
    edited May 2010
    Options

I saw this and cried.  STUPID CANCER!!!!!

In an interview by the NY Times, I think she was 60 and already stage IV....but maybe I am remembering it incorrectly.  In the interview, she said she had a very large tumor to begin with.

• sue-61
    edited May 2010
    Options

She wrote a book and her dtr did the photography.

Journal by Annabel Clark: Book Cover

Journal: A Mother and Daughter's Recovery From Breast Cancer by Annabel Clark (Photographer), Lynn Redgrave

• LJ13-2
    LJ13-2 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    Options

I remember seeing her on Stand Up To Cancer and she said she refused to die from breast cancer.

If only we could simply will it not to happen.

Still, I admired her for saying it ... a true warrior spirit.

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2010
    Options

I do remember being a bit upset with one of her commercials, refusing to die of breast cancer--Like our attitude can save us--if it could, think of all our sisters with the angels that would still be here with us.

May she rest in peace.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2010
    Options

Very sad did not know she had breast cancer.She was a talented actress.

• sue-61
    edited May 2010
    Options

I just requested her book at the local library. They don't own a copy but will borrow from another branch. Will let you all know when I get it and how I like it.

• sue-61
    edited May 2010
    Options

Just finished the book that I borrowed from the library. It is quick reading, lots of pictures, etc.

It doesn't state the stage of the cancer when she was diagnosed. It is written in short journal form; she had chemo, rads, neupogen but no mention of tamoxifen. OH gosh, and I picked out some spelling errors. On the medications. I thought it was just OK; glad I borrowed it and didn't buy it.

She, nonetheless, was a great actress and will be missed.