Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Oct. 31: Breast Cancer Remembrance Day

EnglishMajor
EnglishMajor Member Posts: 122

Hi Ladies:

I think we should have a Breast Cancer Awareness Month closing ceremony to remember those who have died. Here is my original message.

Breast Cancer Awarness Month is winding down. I'm relieved it's over with and glad that I succeeded in some small way of creating more awareness for metastatic breast cancer. I will start earlier next year and build on what I've learned.

But I've also decided to create my own holiday: Breast Cancer Remembrance Day. On Oct, 31, the final day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I will remember the friends and family I have lost to this disease. It's Sunday, so I will light a candle for them and say some prayers.

I will wear black, not for its funeral implications but for its simple dignity, a quality that has been sadly lacking these past 30 pink saturated days.

At 8:45 pm that night I will go outside with a flashlight. I'll think of the one in 8 U.S. women who will get breast cancer and the 45,000 who will die this year.

My eighth grade science teacher told us if you turned on a flashlight and pointed it toward the sky the photons leave the flashlight and they immediately start to spread out. Provided that they don't hit anything, each individual photon travels through space forever.

Time slows down as you approach the speed of light.

I'll think of those whose time was all too brief and I'll hope for brighter days ahead.

Comments

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2010

this is a lovely thought.  I'll be joining you in my front yard with a flashlight at 8:45.  Please post this on all the threads, and perhaps all our lights will go up, all our prayers do.

xoxoxo