Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How common is a 2nd cancer in other breast?

Options
124»

Comments

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited February 2020
    Options

Great info, MountainMia.

The following analysis is a bit older, covering 4,900 women between the years of 1992 to 2004. It indicates that the best case scenario is "double the risk" (of a woman who did not previously have breast cancer) for those with hormone positive breast cancer. For other breast cancer subtypes, the risk of a second primary may be substantially higher than that.

Second Primary Breast Cancer Occurrence According to Hormone Receptor Status

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2720990/

"Women who had survived HR-positive breast cancers had more than a twofold increased risk of a second primary tumor, and women who had survived HR-negative breast cancers had nearly a fourfold increased risk, compared with the age-, race-, and year-adjusted general population. Those with HR-negative first tumors were much more likely to develop HR-negative second tumors, and this was especially true for women first diagnosed before age 30, who had 169 times the normal risk of a second HR-negative tumor."

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks for this link, Beesie. It doesn't make me feel better, having triple negative for a first diagnosis! (Scary stuff...)

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited February 2020
    Options

Sending hugs, Mountain Mia. I sincerely hope tomorrow's results are completely benign.

Trish

• jaybird627
    jaybird627 Member Posts: 1,227
    edited February 2020
    Options

I had BC right breast at age 44, BC left breast at age 57. I am BRCA2+.

Jaybird ~

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. I had the follow-up US. Radiologist said the "mass" is collected fluid from my reduction surgery in November. He wants me to come back in 6 months, but was adamant that no biopsy is needed now.

So HOORAY!

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yay!!! "Adamant that no biopsy is needed now" is great! Nerdy

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited February 2020
    Options

Mia - Great news. Thanks for sharing.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited February 2020
    Options

Great news!

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited February 2020
    Options

hip hip HOORAY! Love good news!

• LowcountryGirl
    LowcountryGirl Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2020
    Options

I had IDC in 2017, right breast. Lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and now arimidex. Yesterday I had an MRI and got a call back that they see something in the left breast. Reading everything I can and trying to stay positive but it's not easy. To make matters worse, the clinic is on shortened days due to covid-19 so they can't even call me again until Tuesday to try and set up a follow up ultrasound for some future date. Argh.

• jaybird627
    jaybird627 Member Posts: 1,227
    edited April 2020
    Options

LowcountryGirl, hoping that it's nothing. Hang in there!

J~

• celand
    celand Member Posts: 223
    edited April 2020
    Options

LivingLaughingLoving,

I was diagnosed with DCIS/IDC in my left breast in 2016 at age 51. I qualified for genetic testing because my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in her early 40's. My insurance coverage was 100% as well. I had wanted to get this done anyway before I was diagnosed because I am considered high risk because of my Mom's history and because I have two daughters (ages 26 and 29).

It turns out that I am BRCA 1 & 2 negative and addditionally the genetic counselor informed me that I was not predisposed to any other type of cancer! (Yet I still ended up with BC right) She concluded that my getting BC was a fluke! However, I think that I took birth control pills for too long - 30 yrs, so I have a feeling that may have been a cause of mine. (Could be other environmental causes but I will never know)

My getting this genetic testing done only tells half of the story for my girls as the genetic counselor told me that Dad can also pass this gene to offspring. She did tell me that my girls could get tested for only BRCA gene for about $200 and not the $5k that my full panel of testing cost my insurance.

I have offered to pay for this for my girls but at this point in time neither is interested. Maybe because mine was caught very early and because I underwent a lumpectomy, radiation and now taking Tamoxifen, they didn't witness me having to endure more extensive treatment had it been detected at a more advanced stage, the magnitude of this has not registered for them.

Colon cancer worries me just as much if not more for them as several relatives on my husband's side of the family have fought that beast.

So, to answer your concerns about genetic testing,

1. My girls were not pushed into a course of action, they were indifferent to the results, even though I am BRCA negative at this point in time.

2. They have not mentioned feeling more secure that since I don't have BRCA 1 or 2 that they will not get BC

I have told both of them that there is no rhyme or reason to who gets BC, one can have many risk factors yet never get it or have no factors but get diagnosed. I hope and pray that neither get diagnosed with BC, but if they do I know how to help them, if I am still around.

Celand

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited May 2020
    Options

I did the COLOR Genomics test, which was $250. That's how I found my VUS in the CHEK2 gene. It later was verified through family testing when my mom was tested and found to have it.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2020
    Options

Just thought I would reply in this forum. I had DCIS 12 years ago in R breast, ER and PR negative. Lumpectomy and radiation. Fast forward 12 years and developed IDC in L breast ER and PR positive. All genetic testing negative. Just unlucky twice although I have extensive family history of breast cancer. One never knows. I have 4 sisters who have never had cancer but many cousins, aunts, mom and grandmother.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2020
    Options

BTW, I was 51 when first diagnosed and 63 when diagnosed again.

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited June 2020
    Options

Praying it is not so. Been off this site for over 10 years as I am an 11 yr survivor. I had IDC in right breast but opted for double mastectomy because my mom had this (and I found I was a BRAC 2 carrier). Fast forward to today, lump in left breast which had an ultrasound yesterday and bloodwork. Waiting to hear back from y oncologist to see what is next. Thanks for your postings. They have helped while I wait. Came back to BC.org because I knew this was the place to get support and help.

• mac5
    mac5 Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2020
    Options

just a FWIW. No idea which Statistical Group I fall into.

Diagnosed at age 60 with IDC and DCIS in left breast. Was told that chance of Recurrence was only 5% and if I got BC in the future it would be a “different kind.” Left Breast MX only.

Fast forward to age 69. Diagnosed with ILC in right breast. Qualified for Genetic Teasting because it was a recurrence. Tested 82 genes and NO abnormalities. Nothing. After MX on Right Breast diagnosed with both ILC and IDC from Pathology Report. And unable to get clear margins in chest wall.

I truly don’t believe there is much rhyme or reason to prove a lot of the Statistics we are given.

You just have to make your best guess with the information you are given at the time.

I had nine years not worrying about it. I’m good with that