Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

neoadjuvant chemotherapy and staging

13»

Comments

• Shari0707
    Shari0707 Member Posts: 260
    edited January 2013

I will for sure.. Don't finish chemo until march 1 but I will keep u posted.. U keep me posted too on surgery and path report as well.. Thanks new direction

• new_direction
    new_direction Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2013

take good care of yourself and remember the road until you are done with chemo is very short. I'm doing everything I can to recover from the treatment so far. It's nice to not think so much about weak immune system and side effects for a change.

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

I know... It is short.. But then surgery!!! Aaaahhh!! Happy when it will all b done

• new_direction
    edited January 2013

Don't want to give you too high hopes because it's better to be nicely surprised than disappointed - however my surgery has been a walk in the park when compared to chemo (so far).

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

What kind of surgery did u have

• new_direction
    edited January 2013

I had a mastectomy and lymph node removal.

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

That's what I plan on doing as well... If u have tips lemme know... Take care of yourself

• new_direction
    edited January 2013

Remember some music and also shirt/blouse which opens in the front. You'll probably get physical therapy advice as well or else I can go through the exercises in my program...

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

Anything!! I will take anything.. I am so scared... Of everything.. Path report, surgery, lymphedema, I wonder if the fear will ever end...

• new_direction
    edited January 2013

I don't want to sound as if I don't have fears or worries. That couldnt be further from the truth. But what helps me is thinking: Anything could also happen if I didn't have cancer. Car accidents, disease not yet diagnosed etc.
    About lymphedema momine posted some advice in another thread - there is time to prepare and do our best to prevent!

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

That is so true.that helps thanks .. I am just ready to move forward abd and get life a little back o normal but I stil have such a long way to go.. Chemo done march 1st... Then surgery still.. Where did momine post about lymphedema.. I am going to prepare and prevent for sure!

• new_direction
    edited January 2013

Hi shari saw you had found the thread... My life is not even close to normal. I don't have the energy at all yet. I'm taking baby steps and have the food part in some control although I'm still looking for ways to improve my current food intake... Exercise wise it's getting better but I started out with a sports injury and it has just popped up during chemo several times. So need to go very slow. I feel so tired after my treatments. My day needs to be very quiet in order for me not to get stressed out. Before I was diagnosed I rarely took any signs or symptoms seriously. Now I listen to my body very carefully. I feel sorry for it after all this. I try to give my body exactly what it needs.
    At the moment I can't see how my life can return to what it was. And I'm not sure that is what I want either...

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

I guess they call it the new normal... I just don't want to breathe sleep and eat breast cancer.. That's all I am saying....

• new_direction
    edited January 2013

You are right! The goal must be that some day life no matter how much it differs from before is not about breast cancer.
    At this point I'm just enjoying my new energy (when compared to my energy level during chemo) and I'm very motivated to learn about a healthier life style. Not one to drag down over my head, one I'd love to follow... else it doesnt make sense. My idea has been from the beginning that I was going in a wrong direction. I had a feeling before I was diagnosed that something was not right - as if I wasn't living my life to the fullest, as if I needed to go in another direction.

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

That's is why the name new direction is so appropriate.. I agree ten-fold.. Can definitely make changes to ensure that life is a little fuller and a little more meaningful. I like that theory.

• new_direction
    edited January 2013

I like to "visualise" different things each day to try to get in a better mood. Have you tried it? it is almost like you make-believe for a moment. It feels like a good alternative in a time when the energy or physical state does not allow you to do things for real.

• Shari0707
    edited January 2013

I have not tried it someone mentioned it t to me at support group last night.. I am very curious about it.. How do u do it