Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any October 2011 Surgeries out there want to wait together?

Options

Comments

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited October 2013
    Options

Oh, screw ongoing health issues! Seriously, I'm done. I'm so moving on from this place, don't worry about Eema! Healthy or unhealthy is a state of mind, I've decided. Didn't mean to come off so harsh-- I'm really not a _itch! Life is good!

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited October 2013
    Options

It's so great to see updates from all of you! I just checked in on a whim, and I'm glad I did (though I should be trying to get to bed earlier...)

Eema - how long will you be in NY? I would love the chance to meet up - I'm an hour by train. PM me if you want to touch base and plan something. My schedule is crazy, but if I can get into the city, I'd love to meet you.

Shannon - I hope the scan went well. I'm also sending prayers your way. We're here for you - any way you need the help.

Clair - Always good to hear how we're moving on. Good luck with everything you're doing.

Margie - Hugs back!

Ginger - I've made a few quick trips to CT, but usually for a very, very short time. Hopefully I'll be able to make a more leisurely trip in over the next few months.

I've also gotten back to normal for the most part - which means hectic. Lots of stress at work, and I'm teaching Hebrew School on Sundays now, which wipes me out. But it's all good. Thinking of you all - thanks for being there.

• Eema
    edited October 2013
    Options

Rachel,

I'm moving to Brooklyn! Within the next two months! Let's plan a meet up after I've settled a bit!

Hebrew school--oy! Good luck! Been there, done that. I quit right before Chanukah. The kids, I hate to say, were terrible.

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2013
    Options

Rachel- I have not been down to the southern part of ct since July. I live in northeast ct but my family is in Stamford. But we will definitely get it together to meet up one of these days. Would love to meet Eema too...

• slgarcia05
    slgarcia05 Member Posts: 154
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi October sisters. Today is my 2 year anniversary of my mastectomy. And yesterday I was dx with bone mets. They have found cancer in my hip and I will be undergoing surgery next week to put a steel rod in there to help support my leg b/c they think it might break. I will also have radiation. They also found a suspicious spot on my spine and I have an MRI for that in the AM. I had a PET scan, CT scan, brain MRI that all came back clear except for those 2 spots. I am scared, but optimistic and have found support already from ladies on here in the same situation. I will continue to update as I get the info. God bless you all!

Shannon

• ginger48
    edited October 2013
    Options

Shannon,

I just saw your caringbridge update and cannot believe it. So sorry your celebration was overtaken by this new development. Thinking of you and sending strength your way...

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    edited October 2013
    Options

Shannon I was sorry to see your post. Sending you a ton of support and strength.

• rachelvk
    edited October 2013
    Options

Shannon - Sending lots of love, prayer and hope your way.

• slgarcia05
    edited October 2013
    Options

Thank you my sisters. I am scared, but I will beat this.

• ginger48
    edited October 2013
    Options

Shannon 💝

• lauriehgldberg
    lauriehgldberg Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Options

As of right now I'm supposed to have a UMx (left), with reconstruction, on 10/22. Maybe TE maybe not.

Having some issues (from earlier round of clindamycin) which could delay surgery into November.

• rachelvk
    edited October 2013
    Options

Laurie - I'm sorry you have to be here. Good luck with your surgery. Have you found an October 2013 group? This thread was a wonderful help to me two years ago - it helps so much to have people like this to support you when you go through surgery and recovery. Hopefully your group will be as supportive.

• ginger48
    edited November 2013
    Options

I hope Shannon will update here soon but the good news is her latest caringbridge post says NO CHEMO is needed! So happy for her...

• slgarcia05
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi girls! Sorry I haven't been on. I had a successful surgery to put the rod in my femur. I'm two weeks out and still in pain, but getting stronger. Ginger is right....I don't have to do chemo!!!! My BC changed from her2+ to her2-. It stayed er/pr+ so I will be on arimidex and have my ovaries removed. I start radiation Monday, having 10 rounds to my spine and 13 to my femur. Wish me luck! I pray for us all every day! Hugs!

• rachelvk
    edited November 2013
    Options

Shannon - Glad to hear the good news, though I'm sorry you're still in such pain. Good luck with the radiation. Sending luck, love and prayers your way.

To all the October ladies - happy 2nd anniversary on our surgeries!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited April 2014
    Options

Oh, Shannon, I only just now saw your most recent posts. I am glad that the surgery for the rod in your femur went well and I am glad you did not need chemo. I hope that the news since then has been good. Sending warm wishes. 

• AthabascanWarriorPrincess
    AthabascanWarriorPrincess Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2014
    Options

hello my friends! I had posted earlier about my reoccurance. I am about 16 weeks out from my chemo, and have been on Lapatinib since. I know I didn't post a whole lot on here, but I read all of them and continue to check in once in awhile. I am so blessed to have you all in my lives. I never did make it to the "list". But that's okay. Lot of love, hugs and warm summer days to each of you! 

• ginger48
    edited June 2014
    Options

hey AWP, 

Nice to get an update on you. Glad that chemo is behind you. How are you doing? 

I know I am not on here as regularly as I used to be. I guess that is a good sign of life getting back to normal?

• MargieC
    edited June 2014
    Options

AWP

Good to hear from you.  I hope you are feel ok.  Sending you good thoughts.

Hope all the rest of the Oct ladies are doing well and moving on with life

Margie

• rachelvk
    edited July 2014
    Options

AWP - Sorry to hear about your recurrence - I hope your treatment/recovery is going well. Take care.

I'll be having my ooph on Thursday. I can't exactly have the luxury of second thoughts - being BRCA+, it was a no-brainer from the start. But I wish I had more options. I'm already in menopause, but the finality of it is pretty daunting.

Otherwise, things are going well I guess. Margie, I think you're right - the better and more 'normal' our lives get, the less we check in. Take care.

• ginger48
    edited July 2014
    Options

hi Rachel,

Hoping you are resting and recovering from the ooph. I had mine in 2011 due to BRCA+ also. I did not have a tough recovery but the hot flashes did kick in fairly quickly. 

Take care!

• AthabascanWarriorPrincess
    AthabascanWarriorPrincess Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2014
    Options

Wow! What a summer! I'm currently on Lapatnib and my onc has recommended me back on Herceptin. I am one week out from round two. Doing amazingly! Loving my life. No reconstruction plans as of now. It looks like I may be on "chemo/ not chemo" indefenetly. Somewhat a bummer, but I'm okay with it today and like I said, loving my life. I will continue to check in on here and post updates. In fact I asked for my records so I could update my profile. Love and gentle hugs to all!

• ginger48
    edited September 2014
    Options

AWP- glad to hear you are doing well. 

Hope others are doing well too!

I have had an amazing summer. Been able to exercise every day. Even started running and completed a triathlon. I am 3 years out from diagnosis and am finally feeling like I did before all this...

• ginger48
    edited October 2014
    Options

Just want to say hello to my October sisters...anyone out there?

I am hoping everyone is well!

• Eema
    edited October 2014
    Options

I will account for myself! I'm still kickin'! We've been in Brooklyn for almost a year and love it. 

• ginger48
    edited October 2014
    Options

ThumbsUp

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited October 2014
    Options

Doing ok 2 more years of exemestane

• ginger48
    edited October 2014
    Options

meow- me too!

• MargieC
    edited October 2014
    Options

I am doing great.   I hope all is too.   

• Clams
    Clams Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hey you guys, i've been getting notifications about your recent replies to the thread so I thought I'd chime in.  Mrs Clams is doing great.  She's still carrying some emotional baggage for sure, but health-wise she is great.  (You'll remember that her double mastectomy was prophylactic - she had some precancerous cells and too many biopsies to count, all resulting from her treatment for hodgkins when she was 19.)  Anyway, so like I said, she's doing great.  She had the tummy flap reconstruction and let me say, those foobs sure look and feel like the real thing.  I hope all of you are doing well - I can't believe that after 3+ years some of you are still battling.  That just isn't fair.  Anyway, our best to all of you, I hope you are at peace with your minds and bodies.  It's fucking great to be alive!