Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed during Pregnancy

Options
2»

Comments

• leanne76
    leanne76 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi everyone

I found out that I had breast cancer in September 2013 at 33 weeks pregnant. I had to deliver my daughter early so that I could have an MRI scan as the cancer wasnt showing clearly on a mammogram,  I only knew became I had a rash and at the time my consultant found a limph node to be swollen.  Ive since had a mastectomy and limph node clearance and I am currently receiving chemotherapy.  If anyone wishes to get intouch feel free it is comforting to know there are other people out there that understand what its like.

• mom2Bnegativex3
    mom2Bnegativex3 Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2014
    Options

just got my call today! It's back! I am 20 weeks pregnant today and my cancer has returned from a 11/09 dx. I have already had a double mastectomy so I don't know what will be next! I hope someone replies soon and everyone has a H&H9!

• NurseShark
    NurseShark Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2014
    Options

just started lurking around forums.hard to find a whole lot of info for dealing with all this while expecting.

I am 30 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed with stage 2 TNBC at 19  weeks pregnant. 

I just finished 3rd round AC. One more than delivery at 36/37 weeks. Than 4 rounds of taxol

I am BRCA 1 so having double mastectomy planned before radiation (had 1/14 positive nodes). 

MO brought up possibility of one step mastectomy/reconstruction.anyone have this before radiation? Meeting plastic/ breast surgeon soon.but curious if this is even possible don't wanna get my hopes up. Been dreading TEs .

My breast surgeon described mastectomy after pregnancy as "messy" bc of milk ....anyone experience this ? Obviously can't breastfeed so hoping milk will be dried up by time taxol done and time for surgery.

• Marlene18
    Marlene18 Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi NurseShark,

Sorry you have to be here. I'm not sure I can offer much insight except to compare my experience. I was diagnosed at 18 weeks, I had a lumpectomy and then did AC until three weeks before my daughter's birth. I was determined to attempt breastfeeding for just a little while which I did for six weeks but I never produced much so she was also on formula. My twin sister never had problems with breastfeeding so I assume the chemo probably caused my poor production. This is all to say that maybe mastectomy won't be too bad for you, especially if you aren't even going to attempt breastfeeding.

My daughter is now 20 months old and even though she was a bit small at birth (percentile-wise), she has completely caught up and is a happy healthy little girl. 

I wish you well.

Dani

• Pixiepixie
    Pixiepixie Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi

I was diagnosed with BC at 22 weeks pregnant. I had a mastectomy and all nodes removed. I've started chemo and baby is doing well. Physically I'm okay apart from being extremely tired from both the chemo and now in last trimester (approaching 30wks). I'll probably have a c-section around Christmas so I can get on with Tax chemo soon after.

Being pregnant with BC is a scary and lonely place so I thought I'd post in case anyone is in a similar position recently. I've heard lots of success stories where both mum and baby are doing well so this gives my husband and I hope.

xx 

• NurseShark
    edited November 2014
    Options

I finished my 4th round AC 2 weeks ago.Getting ready to be induced next week on  11/10 (Ill be 36 weeks Friday). Starting taxol 12/5. Baby is doing great so far,growth and movement have been good. 

• breastcancerhusband
    breastcancerhusband Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi ladies

Thought I'd join in. My wife is 33, and 20 weeks pregnant.  She was diagnosed oct 2014. 2.3cm tumour, 0/4nodes. ER- PR- HER- She had a single MX, begins chemo in 2weeks. Looks like 4 x FEC, then C-section to deliver, followed by taxol for 12 weeks.

She is being so brave, like all of you. Must admit im falling to bits at the mo. But please good we'll and all of you will get through this.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited November 2014
    Options

Breastcancerhusband, hang in there. So glad you found our community, and we welcome you warmly. 

You are all in our thoughts. 

Keep sharing!

• NurseShark
    edited November 2014
    Options

breastcancer husband, I'm so sorry . I'm glad you found this site. I hope you have friends and family to reach out to ..that has been hard for my husband. It's scary for both of you to go through this

• BRCAsis
    BRCAsis Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hey fellow warriors,

I am 24 y/o and was diagnosed January 2015 with IDC, when I was 10 weeks into my first pregnancy. I'm triple negative and probably BRCA1 (a family specialty). I had a pregnancy termination done with the mastectomy 2 weeks after diagnose and will be finishing with chemo in 3 weeks. Also, I'm sticking to a LCHF diet which has helped tremendously with the chemo perks and I intend to continue with it after treatment.

My oncologist has advised us to have a second mastectomy and wait another 2 years before conceiving again and we're having a hard time with that option. I know breastfeeding prevents cancer and is better for child and would very much want to nurse all future babies. Also LCHF is supposed to help prevent recurrences. Still haven't found any data regarding to recurrences at my age and with my characteristics. Has anyone been advised otherwise or seen some useful data? Anyone decided to wait less time? How about recurrences?

I wish you all well.

• debiann
    debiann Member Posts: 447
    edited July 2015
    Options

You are very young with many years ahead of you to worry about a recurrance or a new primary breast cancer. A healthy lifestyle is great, but after spending some time on these boards, you'll find many people living very healthy lifesyles, exercising regularly, eating organic, ect and yet they still have cancer. Being BRACA + also increases your risk, so a bmx is probably a wise recommendation. 

Know that bottle fed babies are healthy babies too. I had to bottle feed due to my thyroid condition (my milk never came in.) Both my kids (now 29 & 27) have always been healthy. If you really want breast milk there are ways to get it, as the original poster mentioned. Having a healthy mommy will be more important than breast feeding to your babies. 

Blessings to you. I'm sorry you have to go through this at such a young age.

• Debwarrior
    Debwarrior Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2015
    Options

dear BRCA sis,

So sorry to hear that you are having to deal with all this so young. 24 is very young to lose both breasts. Yes it is the recommendation for those of us who are brca positive, but it seems like you might be able to wait a few years since you already had one mastectomy. I think you should get another opinion or two before making this huge decision. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997 while pregnant, had a lumpectomy, cancer again 17 years later and recently a double mastectomy. I have two beautiful children 17 and 11 even though the doctors said I was in early menopause after chemo I still went on to get pregnant. Ask your doctor and find another who knows about brca whether it is a reasonable risk to wait a few years or what the risk would be so you can have a better sense of it. Sometimes it is a matter of how much risk you can handle for how long. Sending support and sympathy.

• e12345e
    e12345e Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi everyone,

I just got diagnosed with triple pos yesterday and have a lumpectomy scheduled for next week. The surgeon mentioned it really depends on whether or not the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes to determine what course of treatment I'll get.

What makes this more difficult is the fact that I'm currently ~22 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping that I won't be forced to get a chemo before my baby is born. I would love to hear more about your experience and learn if there's anything you wish you knew at the onset of your diagnosis?

Thank you, E

• SkiChick86
    SkiChick86 Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi all,

It looks like this board hasn't been very active in a while but hopefully bumping will help other women find it, if there is anyone else out there in e12345e's and my situation. I'm 20 weeks pregnant with my second child and was diagnosed yesterday. I don't have much info because the full pathological report wasn't in yet, but I know it is grade three and it has spread to at least one lymph node. I am very concerned about it having spread further, especially because I can't do an MRI or CT scan while pregnant to confirm or deny that.

If anyone who has been in this position before is still lurking, please chime in and let us know what your experience has been. I really appreciate it!

• Livymom
    Livymom Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Dear SkiChic,

I'm sorry to hear about your dx. I've been down this path. I had a similar dx at 29 weeks with my third baby girl. I was also lymph node positive - that's how I found mine. I also was not able to complete all of the testing due to my pregnancy. It made me very anxious to not get the whole story up front. With faith in my doctors and all of their experience, I started tx right away. 2 rounds of AC chemo before the baby was born. Then induced delivery at 37 weeks. I gave birth to a healthy, happy, girl that weighed 6.5 lbs. she is now 7 months old and the best happiest baby ever. Completely healthy and fine. After delivery I completed 2 more AC chemo. Then 12 weeks of taxol chemo. A double mast with reconstruction. And now finishing up radiation. We had a lot of help from family and friends. Babysitting, play date ( I have a 7&5 year old too) meals, carpools, etc. I was exhausted from the chemo with a new born, but I promise you can do it!

While I would never wish this on any baby or family, the birth of our daughter was the greatest gift in all of this. She is a daily reminder of what I am fighting for.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I just went through this and would love to help you in any way. You can do this!!