Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Quaatsi
    Quaatsi Member Posts: 270
    Options

B- Thinking of you and wishing for the best! Q

• bahamamom3
    bahamamom3 Member Posts: 275
    Options

Yes, Grandma, I can imagine how you must feel now, wondering and waiting, about the possibilities.  As scary as I know it is, I am glad that you will be back in there tomorrow for the new images.  Will you have to wait a few days to get them read, or will you be able to speak to the doctor at the appointment tomorrow?  I used to have great insurance that didn't charge me anything extra to see the doctor, so I always got them to check me and tell me the findings while I was there.  But now I have different insurance that charges me for the exam because they say it is not necessary.  I think it should always be considered reasonable and necessary at least for us ladies who have had a breast cancer diagnosis.  I will be thinking of you and praying for a good result from the new mammograms. 

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Micro-calcification found.  He described it as the size of a pin-prick.  Sonogram couldn't pick it up.  Regular mammogram didn't show it.  The 3D Mammogram is what found it.  It was not on the 3D mammo last August.   He wants to do a stereotactic biopsy.  After calling my breast surgeon and talking to her nurse, they recommend having the imaging place go ahead with the biopsy.  It's scheduled for Tuesday the 29th at 10:00.  I could have had it this Friday, if it hadn't been that I take ibuprofen every day for side effects.  It's considered a blood thinner.  So I have to stay off of it now until after the biopsy.  Fun.

• bahamamom3
    Options

Grandma,I will be thinking of you next week and hoping for the best results. I am sorry you have to have another biopsy. With getting your weight down and continuing your letrozole, you have certainly been doing all the right things.

• GrandmaV
    Options

Thanks bahamamom, I needed to hear that.  

• GrandmaV
    Options

Got the news from biopsy.  It's cancer again.  Don't know any more than that.  I see breast surgeon September 7.  

• Quaatsi
    Options

Sad

hopefully not too far advanced-- thinking of you! Q

• bahamamom3
    Options

So sorry for the new diagnosis.  Like Q, I am hopeful that it is not very advanced.  I know it will be a long week, waiting to see the surgeon.  Please keep us posted and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.  

• GrandmaV
    Options

Thanks you guys.  You're the best. How are you doing Quaatsi? 

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    Options

GrandmaV,

Gentle hugs to you  This news just sucks beyond anything.   Get a plan in place and it will all feel more like it is under control   I was dx with a spread about 4 years ago, I remember the tears, feeling overwhelmed etc.   But it does change after a bit.  4 years out I have a pretty reasonable quality of life, leaving for Spain on MOnday with my DD.   Keep us posted and know that we are all in you pocket when you go to onc appontments

Nel 

• GrandmaV
    Options

Nel 

Thank you.  Reading your post I could feel those gentle hugs.  I'm taking it surprisingly well.  I cry a little every now again, but I don't feel blind sided like I did the first time.  I think my husband is taking it worse than I am.   I've been afraid with that breast since it bled a little, and now I'm relieved to know.  This all may change though when I see the surgeon and find out more bad stuff. 

• Quaatsi
    Options

All I know GrandmaV is that you can do this. Each time it takes a bit of our soul but if we allow the experience to fill us up with something else more wonderful, it is worth it. I keep thinking of my son, handed a horribly but functional Cerebral Palsy and constant seizures. It has taken it toll on him as he is struggling right now but it was the hand that was dealt him and I encourage him to live it fully. We are given this hand and we can play it. Love to you all, Q

• GrandmaV
    Options

Quaatsi,

Thank you.  That was powerful.  I will try to keep this in my mind and heart.

• GrandmaV
    Options

I met with the breast surgeon today.  DH went with me.  Discussed the pathology report, some of which is not complete, yet.  It's a new primary.  (IDC/DCIS ER+/PR-) ER was 95%, so does that mean letrozole is not working?.  Does not appear to have nodes involved.  Of course, surgery will tell that tale.  She thinks I will continue to "churn out cancer" as she put it.  May be genetic.  She has just start using Intra-operative radiation therapy in concert with a radiation oncologist.  If I have lumpectomy they will do a one time radiation at time of surgery on the tumor bed.  As I understand it the full dose of radiation at one time that you would normally get in 6 weeks.  But she is recommending a mastectomy this time.  We are still waiting on the her2 status.  My Ki-67 is 10% so it looks like no  chemo (yay), depending on her2 status, she also said that at my age, 63, they don't always recommend chemo.  I told her if I do mastectomy, I would want bilateral because it just makes more sense.  She agreed.  My Insurance won't pay for genetic testing, unless you have 3 generations in family history.  The only other one in my family I know of was my Great Aunt (grandmother's sister).  But something to consider is my grandmother, mother, and older sister all had hysterectomies in their 40's, but not me.  So that may have saved them.  Don't know much about my Dad's side of the family.   Surgery will be in 2 to 3 weeks.  They're going to schedule me for the bilateral mastectomy, but If I change my mind to let them know.  I don't think I'm going to change my mind.  DH is agreed.   Path report is dated 9/1/2017 6 years to the day since last diagnosis.   I'm still taking it surprisingly well.  I'm glad to know more about it.  

• Quaatsi
    Options

i am glad you are taking this well. Sounds like they got it early. I have never regretted my radical bilatmastectecomy if my experience means anything. Everything comes with a cost and choose a respected surgeon as the side issues will be less.

I am sitting in hospital right now. Have been feeling like cancer active again and i felt abdominal pain, went in and had severe infected diverticulitis and will need to be examined for cancer. However, while they were scanned for that they came across a node in my lung. Not sure I have the energy for more of this. I do wonder ar times how after 30 years of so much cancer i still even think about going on. I am tired. But I am sure this is a temporary emotion and it will pass.

Q

• bahamamom3
    Options

Grandma, it sounds like you are making the right decision for you, and I am glad that your husband and doctor are all in agreement about the treatment plan you will have. With being able to avoid chemo this time and having the radiation as a one time event during the surgery, it will definitely be very different this time. Although the double mastectomy will be much more involved, and you will have a longer recovery period. About the letrozole it is so hard to know whether it is working. Maybe this very small cancer was already there and just hadn't shown on tests until now. Maybe it has grown much more slowly in the 6 years. Maybe it worked a while, then became less effective recently. All questions I doubt you will get answers to. Pretty coincidental about the dates. You are such a good researcher. Read all about the type of surgery and the new radiation you are having so you will know what to expect. You are so right about being blindsided the first time around. Sending much prayer your way. Try to enjoy the weekend.

• GrandmaV
    Options

Quaatsi - So sorry you have infected diverticulitis.  That sounds painful.  Hope you're soon out of the hospital and as you told me earlier something wonderful will fill you.  You've been such an inspiration to me.

Yes your experience is very helpful.  I am thinking no reconstruction.  My thinking on that is they would be fake boobs with little or no feeling, so why not just wear fake boobs that you can take off if they get uncomfortable.  They showed me some of the new prosthesis and they're so light compared to what they showed me 6 years ago.  By side issues do you mean lymphedema?  We talked about that, too.  I am worried about that.  But one problem at a time. 

• GrandmaV
    Options

Bahamamom - even the surgeon was stumped about the letrozole.   She asked "How did this happen"?  I said " You tell me".  That's when she mentioned it may be genetic.  I feel like a science experiment that went awry.   

• GrandmaV
    Options

My surgery date is September 29 at 10:00 in the a.m.  Had E.K.G.  yesterday and blood work.  It's starting to get real.  Nerves are ramping up.  

Hope you are better Quaatsi.  

• GrandmaV
    Options

Had my BMX with sentinel node removal Friday.  I have two drains.  Nodes not involved.  I have my post op appointment October 12.  Won't know pathology until then.  My husband took a week off from work and is being soooo helpful.  I cleaned the house top to bottom before surgery so he could concentrate on me.  He does anything I want him to do.  I'm sleeping in my new recliner, probably until drains come out, since they are on each side, don't want to risk laying on them in bed.  Surgeon still optimistic that I won't need Chemo.  Hope that holds true.  

• bahamamom3
    Options

Hi, Grandma, so glad to hear from you today. I thought of you on Friday and tried to get to our thread to leave you a message, but I couldn't find it. There used to be a way to write the name of our thread and search for it, but I couldn't find it now. I am glad your husband is there helping you out. That surgery is pretty serious, and the drains need a lot of care. Rest all you can, and start the healing process.

• Quaatsi
    Options

I am so happy to hear you have come through the surgery. Funny but it is almost 6 years to the date I had both of mine removed. Very happy for you no nodes taken out--it will make the recovery and life in general so much more easy.

Do the exercises they recommend and do not let the scars adhere to the bone wall--very important for your continued comfort.

My best to you--Q

• GrandmaV
    Options

Thank you so much Bahamamom and Q

• Quaatsi
    Options

I am so tired, worn down by it all.

• GrandmaV
    Options

Quaatsi - I haven't been through near as much as you have and I have days I'm just ready to freak out.  I'm still dealing with these drains and it will be 2 weeks since surgery come Friday.  I'm have a pain below my left shoulder blade that I am told is a common thing after mastectomy and will require some pt to get relief. I'm hoping it will get better after drains come out.  I see the surgeon tomorrow and hope the drains come out then.  Cancer takes us a piece at a time and cancer treatment does too.  Since I've been taking lortabs the past 2 weeks my tinnitus has been nearly unbearable as well.  I see my onc Tuesday the 17th and will see what new things I have to look forward to.  

Only you can decide when the fight is just too much.  You've been hanging in there for a very long time and fighting this beast.  My hope is that you can move past this low point and keep battling it back and holding on to each precious day and find something wonderful will find it's way in to you as you described in the past.  You've been real encouragement to me.  

• Nel
    Options

GrandmaV- Hope the drains come out soon  Life is much easier with out   And gentle recovery from here on in !

Quaatsi - Hope you are feeling better - out of hospital??   This cancer trip, and oh what a trip it is, takes so much out of us and away from us   You have been at this a long time, I just can't imagine

I have moved to Cape Cod permanently, adjusting bit by bit.  Consulting to my old non-profit about 10 hours a week - perfect amount of time and trying to figure out what my new life will look like

Gentle fall days for all of us!

Nel

• GrandmaV
    Options

Drains came out yesterday.  Enjoyed my shower this morning so much.  I feel like I can recover now.  I'm still having the pain in left shoulder blade, but it seems less intense.  Very emotional today.  I see onc Tuesday to see what's next.

• Nel
    Options

Drains out - ah the relief!!!   Good luck with Onc.  Emotional days - just part of the roller coaster   Give your self time to be sad, grieve and then find or plan something that you enjoy.  4 years out I still have some days where I think really and just feel overwhelmend  but less now

Gentle hugs

Nel

• GrandmaV
    Options

Saw onc today, no further treatment necessary for new cancer.  Continue on femara for first cancer.  He's going to look into whether my insurance will pay for genetic testing or not.  He is concerned that I may get ovarian cancer too, if it is genetic.  

• bahamamom3
    Options

Grandma, I am glad that your oncologist thinks you can manage with no more chemo or radiation this time.  I hope your wounds are healing well.  I know they will take a long time.  

I had my mammogram last week, and all was well.  I wish all of you who are dealing with recurrences peace and comfort as you continue to deal with the BC.  May we all find some joy in every single day.