Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Weird sensation when drinking hot or cold beverages

Okay, so for the past few days, whenever I drink either a hot beverage or a cold glass of water, I feel it going down the middle of my chest.  (Had my PBMX 12/19).  It feels so weird.  I guess its because the fatty breast tissue isn't there to absorb the heat/chill?  Anyone else? 

Cats

Comments

• alex56
    alex56 Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2012

Yes!  How funny, I was just noticing this recently too.  I had my mastectomy 2 years ago and felt the temperature sensation shortly after the surgery.  It went away for awhile, but I've noticed it again this winter.  Boy, you can feel it go all the way!  I agree that it is probably the lack of "insulation" there.

• Janeybw
    Janeybw Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2012

Yes!!  It lasts for a few weeks and then will go away as you get used to the new you.

• MTnester
    MTnester Member Posts: 147
    edited January 2012

I felt that for about a month after my BMX. It gets better - I rarely notice it now. It was really strange at first though!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2012

Yes, lol, such a weird feeling. It passes though. Not sure when I adjusted, but I am 4 months out and it has been a while already.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited January 2012

I only realize it when someone mentions it. Too funny!

• Sonata
    Sonata Member Posts: 78
    edited January 2012

I've noticed it too! I just figured it was from lack of "insulation". :)

• mdg
    mdg Member Posts: 1,468
    edited January 2012

I felt like that too, but it eventually went away.  Now I have implants that get cold like icepacks at time....oh well.  At least they are cancer free....

• SharonMH
    SharonMH Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2012

Hi, I also feel the cold but it is  down my side. I am almost two years past MX. You do get used to it after awhile.  SharonH

• rubalou
    rubalou Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2012

Me Too! Thought maybe it had to do with my TE's. Guess not.

• catbill
    catbill Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2012

mdg-

I'm with you.  They are so cold, but you're right. Tthey are cancer-free.   I wear more layers now than I used to, and my DH just laughs when an ARIMIDEX hot flash hits.  I peel like an onion.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited January 2012

Oh wow, amazing, me too! When I took those first few sips of water after surgery, I was pretty sure I had a "leak" somewhere, that the water was spilling out on my chest. I had my hsuband and mom looking for leaks while I swallowed...

I still get it, if  I am warm and the drink is very cold...what a funny sensation no one else could understand!

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2012

I'm about 5 months out on my right side and 3 on my left. I'm not having the sensation very much now with hot liquids (or at least I'm not noticing it) but just this week found that ice water still really triggers that "waterfall" feeling. It's not particularly unpleasant, just a bit disconcerting.

Crystalphm - thinking that you'd sprung a leak is just too funny. 

• Cats134
    Cats134 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012

It was bitterly cold here yesterday (NY) and hubby and I stopped at a diner on our way home from errands.  I took a gulp of hot coffee and let out a yelp, grabbed a napkin and frantically wiped my chest...but there was nothing there! LOL  I thought I spilled the coffee right down my blouse!

kmpod: 'waterfall'... great description of the sensation drinking a cold beverage!

Cats

• KrystalRose
    KrystalRose Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012

I have the same sensation.  Although it is more when I drink cold beverages.  The sensation has lessened a bit.  I thought it was because of possible swelling still. My bilateral mastectomy was Dec 8.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited January 2012

Cats, yes, I have felt that too, it is so unique! So you thought you sprung a leak too :-) Or dribbled, it feels like that too.

The word waterfall describes it so well...

• keno41
    keno41 Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2012

I am 2 years out from bilateral with no reconstruction and still get that feeling every so often, but only with cold beverages. It is indeed very strange!

• halah
    halah Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2012

When I drink something cold, even still (had bmx 8/30/10), I can feel the chill! I just thought it was me.

• jan-m
    jan-m Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2012

I still feel the cold "waterfal"l since May 2010.. never noticed hot but will be checking it out tomorrow morning with my cup of coffee

• OBXK
    OBXK Member Posts: 689
    edited January 2012

Sometimes I yelp!

• Anita46
    Anita46 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2021

so I have noticed that when I drink coffee I can feel the heat of it going into my right brest. Any feedback?

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 552
    edited July 2021

For awhile after my mastectomy, I could feel hot and cold beverages in my armpit. It went away though.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited July 2021

Does this happen with a single mastectomy or just with a double?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited July 2021

LW422,

I think it can happen with either and with recon or no recon. I had implant recon and I remember feeling it in my chest when I drank cold beverages. It is considered completely normal so no worries. That sensation did go away at some point but I don’t remember when.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited July 2021

Thanks, exbrnxgrl!

• DeRein
    DeRein Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2021

Hi I had the same felt really wierd at first, Eventually just went a way of just got used to it. SillyHeart