Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A rad onc weighs in on radiation "burns"

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited June 2021
    Options

I will have to ask about the Mepitel sheets. It has been almost 3 weeks since the last treatment (18). Main target axilla, and right side of chest. Boobs went away in 2016. Still very sore, peeling, tender. All that was suggested was Calendula, Aquapor, lidocaine. No adhesives, and to hold gauze coated with aquapor/ldocaine in place with an Ace bandaid. Lidocaine doesn't help. It is so hard not to scratch, but I know it will hurt and make things worse. The gauze looked really gross the morning after, but is looking less gross now. Radiation was described as fractionated (higher with fewer treatments). Fatigue. After 2 weeks since last treatment, I thought I was finally through it. Had two good hikes. Then today, same hike, but felt tired the whole time, and still tired and a little achy all over, especially shoulders.

2009 ER+ left breast. 52 yrs. Lumpectomy, Sentinel node removal, negative. Radiation 6 weeks, tamoxifen 5 years. Dense lumpy left breast, normal right.

2016 ER+ left breast. Probably a new cancer, but unknown. 4 rounds TC Aug-Oct 2016, Bi-lateral (my choice) Nov 2016, no reconstruction. 2 sentinel nodes remove, negative. ). Anastrozole 1 mg starting May 2017. Joint issues noticed immediately. Stopped Anastrozole after 3-4 months due to joint stiffness in. After several months of no AIs, fingers were feeling better. Started tamoxifen March 2018.

2019 - ER+ right axilla, presented itself with swelling in R-arm. Ibrance/Arimidex. Tumor seemed to be shrinking a little, but then really blew up at the end of 2020 with severe swelling in R-arm.

2021 - Stop Ibrance/Arimidex in Feb, . CT shows BC has become metastatic. Start Exemestance/Afinitor in March. 18 radiation treatments starting in late April. Swelling has gone way down. Radiation Oncoogist had me stop Afinitor during radiation. Scheduled for CT next week.

• shny
    shny Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2021
    Options

HI KBP, I just got diagnosed with DCIS and looking at lumpectomy and radiation and I am trying to understand radiation side effects. How is your skin and breast now after so many years? Would you say it is back to how it was before or are there change (hyperpigmentation, fibrosis?) Do you have any issues with movement? Thanks in advance!

• shny
    shny Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2021
    Options

HI KBP, I just got diagnosed with DCIS and looking at lumpectomy and radiation and I am trying to understand radiation side effects. How is your skin and breast now after so many years? Would you say it is back to how it was before or are there change (hyperpigmentation, fibrosis?) Do you have any issues with movement? Thanks in advance!

• stacy91965
    stacy91965 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2021
    Options

ReJuvaskin is the cream that my RO recommended. In her opinion my skin should have been affected "terribly". but with daily use of the cream i was only pink. no blisters, no peeling! i was so happy. my skin returned to normal very quickly... except the to color of my nipple. It has lost it's color ~ i will take that with a smile because i was worried it would be destroyed with the final lumpectomy (right behind it) scarring and the radiation after affects.
    I used the cream 2 weeks before tx and about 4 weeks after.

• cangold
    cangold Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2021
    Options

Wildcolonialgirl,Your post really made me feel like I'm not the only one & very helpful. I'm on day 4 of after 25 radiation treatments. I've been doing the Calendula creams since before treatment, but am beet red in most areas. Under my arm is the most painful and the weeping has started, I know now that this to shall pass in 3 weeks. Thank You

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited June 2021
    Options

Cangold - for the "weeping", "Domeboro" helped pull the goo. Ask if it is ok to use before completing treatment. It is non-Rx, but pharmacies may or may not carry it. You soak a soft wash cloth, let it sit on affected area for 15-20 minutes, then let the area air dry. A cousin of my partner sent me some "Basis" sensitive skin bar soap which her DR suggested. I was already 2 weeks post treatment, but still quite red. Several sites list it. I was also using Calendula.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2021
    Options

I did well with 16 radiation tx but after a year and a half have tiny scabs on breast. PA wasn't concerned about it. Did apply Hydrocorisone cream to breast when i got a rash during tx

• Drkcs
    Drkcs Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2022
    Options

excellent post

• gracestella1948
    gracestella1948 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2022
    Options

I recently went for RT and experienced a burning inside my body. My face,arms,legs and chest. I had hydrofractional treatment. No skin reaction on outside. I am trying to continue but the burning after 4 treatments is awful Dont know what to do at this point. Dr said it was too early to get reaction but I got it the next day. Has anyone else experienced a reaction like this? Thank you

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited March 2022
    Options

gracestella1948 - No info to offer on your issues, as I did not have them. Hope someone here or your radiation oncologist can provide some answers. You may have to "fight for the right to be heard" in re: your issue. Healing thoughts.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited March 2022
    Options

gracestella1948 - Not completely like your experience, but I started turning red and had the burning feeling within the first few days, only in the area where I was being radiated. As the days went on and the treatments continued it became worse for me. The RO kept a close eye on my skin, but ultimately there was nothing that could be done. It peaked about a week after I finished treatment and the healing was literally overnight and my skin is back to normal, even better then before.

Did they give you any cream? I was given Miaderm, many will use 100% Aloe Vera gel. I found putting it in the refrigerator and applying cool cream was very soothing.

As the OP stated the "burn" is within and that is what you are experiencing.

Please be sure to advocate for yourself as celiac indicated.

I hope things have eased up for you.

Sending you warm thoughts!

• khanganvo
    khanganvo Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2022
    Options

I have just finished 15 days radiotherapy. Use Calendula cream twice a day, top with Aquaphor at night. On the second week, breast turn red with dark patches. On the third week, it becomes more red and sometimes I feels pain at the wound. It come and go in a few seconds, so not bad. My skin become more sensitive to sunlight, it will burn each time each is exposed to the sun. I got sun burn on arm, neck, legs, thigh......I walk 45 mn to an hour a day. Have to do it in the early hour to avoid the sun and wear thick clothes, cover my neck with a scarf , cover my face with a hat... I have dehydrated to the point that I had to drink more than a gallon and half of water per day to sustain thirst. I found that drinking milk would help with dehydration better than water alone. I have also stopped drinking tea and coffee. Also cut down the salt. Sometimes electrolyte water would help. At first , I thought I had a food allergies. Now I am sure that it is a side effect of having radiation. Another nephew had the same problem when he was in radiotherapy 2 years ago on the chest. .