Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Celebrities and Breast Cancer

Options
13»

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited December 2019
    Options

Very well put 1redgirl, my thoughts exactly.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited December 2019
    Options

Redgirl, well said. I do the same. Knowledge is power and I want the next generation of folks to understand the nature of this disease so they can fight it hopefully better.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2019
    Options

redgirl. you are right, and I agree.

I do think some people (many? most?) want not to have to think that hard, or confront possibly-bad-news details, but instead rather just show up to the appointments and do what the MO says and not ask questions. Which is understandable too. People who inform themselves and share information can probably seem soap-boxy to those who don't want to inquire too much and who do not press their medical team.

• pingpong1953
    pingpong1953 Member Posts: 274
    edited December 2019
    Options

I have to admit that, before my own diagnosis, I was pretty ignorant about the different types, grades, stages, etc of BC. I had no idea what a spectrum it is. When someone tells me that they know some woman who had it and was just fine I don't press for details because I'm pretty sure they don't know them. Sometimes I'll just gently tell them that there are many different types of BC which means there are many different treatments and outcomes, so if this friend did "just fine" it doesn't mean that everyone diagnosed with the disease will do as well.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,163
    edited December 2019
    Options

pingpong1953- before my diagnosis I too was pretty oblivious to all the different types of breast cancer out there. An awakening once dx. I belive whole heartily knowledge is power.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2019
    Options

Julia Child was in her 50s when dx. Back then, radical mastectomy was the treatment. She died in her 90s from some bacterial infection.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    edited December 2019
    Options

Kathy Bates had Ovarian Cancer and then Breast Cancer, she’s BRCA1 and BRCA2 negative

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited February 2020
    Options

Shannen Doherty just announced she has stage 4 breast cancer - she was diagnosed like a year ago but was keeping it quiet.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2020
    Options

Ugh that sucks.

• missouricatlady
    missouricatlady Member Posts: 894
    edited February 2020
    Options

Saw a news post on Facebook about Shannen Doherty and went in look of what type of cancer she had. Here is an article that covers her journey before her recurrence.

Link: https://www.survivornet.com/articles/actress-shann...

She talks about weight gain and wrinkles. Sometimes, I look at celebrities in a different way. She suffers from all the things we suffer from. We can all agree on "I try to live each day as an amazing, precious gift that I've been given." Sending her best wishes.

• 2019whatayear
    edited February 2020
    Options

so true Missouri Cat :-)

I was reading SD s story and it says she first had hormone therapy - before surgery or chemo or radiation . Is that usually done ? Or is it inaccurate reporting?

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited February 2020
    Options

My sister recently had prophylactic BMX b/c we both have BRCA1 mutation and I developed bc. The first surgeon she saw wanted her to take an AI in addition to bmx. She declined the AI.I haven’t read the info on Shannon’s hx, but I wonder if this could have been recommended for her for some reason.

• 2019whatayear
    edited February 2020
    Options

according to the articles I read she was diagnosed with IDC then did hormone therapy and it didn’t stop the cancer growth then they were going to do a lumpectomy but then they found more masses in her breast and I think it also had spread to her lymph nodes they did a mastectomy and then she had chemo and radiation

• summerangel
    summerangel Member Posts: 182
    edited February 2020
    Options

I saw an interview with her after she was diagnosed. She said she was reluctant to get surgery, even though by that time it had been a while. Maybe that's why.

• 2019whatayear
    edited February 2020
    Options

ah okay that makes sense.

• lexica
    lexica Member Posts: 138
    edited June 2020
    Options

Betty Puskar... Not sure if she can be called a 'celebrity,' but a notable person and survivor. She contributed a lot to the cancer center at my Alma Mater and she was definitely a breast cancer advocate. I know Mylan pharmaceuticals has had it's fair share of blunders recently, but, I do still hold her in high regard.

https://wvusports.com/news/2020/6/16/general-west-...