Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can CEA tumor marker fluctuate within normal limits?

Options
hope70
hope70 Member Posts: 8

I had my appt with MO yesterday. The CEA tumor marker result is 1.6 vs 1.3 3 months ago. Still within normal limits. Has someone had this before? Is it something to worry about? ( i do worry about it...) This was my second follow up visit ( every 3 mo) since the end of all treatments.

Comments

• lovetodance1
    lovetodance1 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2015
    Options

that's nothing..cea does fluctuate every day..just like blood pressure. Completely normal..what is the reference range of your lab?

• hope70
    edited April 2015
    Options

the range is 0 - 5. I couldn't find any info on wether it can vary without serious reason. Thank you very much for posting!

• hope70
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1. kayb,I did hAve other tests too during the Herceptin treatment. But not since November (finished October 31st) I am going to ask specifics next time when I will see the doctor. Thanks
  • specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,238
    edited April 2015
    Options

I have both CEA and CA 27/29 done every six months - the numbers are never consistent, but fall with the limits of "normal".

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited April 2015
    Options

They ran CEA, CA-125 & CA19-9 on me with ovarian cancer. I think the CEA was because they suspected abdominal mets. They weren't in the least concerned about mine when it was a little over 5

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 253
    edited April 2015
    Options

I will ask my oncologist to add CEA test to my blood work. He only does CA 27/29.

• hope70
    edited April 2015
    Options

Spoke to my nurse on Wednesday. She brought up my concerns to my MO. Doctor emailed her " I think she is fine, we can repeat the test in 6 weeks to reassure her". I asked the nurse for my previous results on CEA. I only had 2 numbers from now and 3 months ago. So she looked it up and it was 0.9 in April, 1.1 in July. 1.3 in Jan and 1.6 now. This is a pattern to me....an increase. I was on Herceptin till Nov'14.Is it possible that Herceptin affected the levels before? I am so anxious about this....Just started to feel normal again, and here we go....

• lovetodance1
    lovetodance1 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2015
    Options

no...that is not an increase...that's why there is a range. Mine is in the 2's all the time and range is 0-5 like yours..mine went up to 6 4 years ago due to hypothyroidism and inflammations from ex panders and wound healing. Onc never worried.. Ca 15.3 or ca 27.29 are much better markers for breast. Cea is mostly for colon.

• hope70
    edited April 2015
    Options

lovetodance, thanks. I hope you are right! I don't like these negative thoughts in my head ..Guess its a post traumatic disorder:)