Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Help! I might lose my job because of BC

Options
2»

Comments

• 6feetover
    6feetover Member Posts: 97
    Options

Lisey wrote: "I was working the day after my BMX" - that's not only shameful, it's dangerous. It's also definitely not something to boast about, especially when you're using your experience to demean and condemn other women who've endured similar circumstances. Only in this fvcked-up country dominated by greed, hate, and an all-encompassing lack of compassion and empathy do we have to worry about such ghastly predicaments. "We're grateful we aren't struggling in Afghanistan or Darfur. Our lives are so cushy compared to most of the world." Ummm...yeah, maybe...compared to the violent, lawless, Stone Age hellholes you mentioned. But DEFINITELY NOT when compared to CIVILIZED "first-world" countries like Canada, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, France, etc. This country is an embarrassment.

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    Options

Tell it, adarkadaptedi! The truth is, in this country, if you haven't got money or health privilege,you feel guilty for not being well enough to work.

I envision a world where we are allowed to be unwell, where we feel safe and cared for when we face Breast Cancer.
  • meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

What working the day after bmx? That is insane. Glad to see the stock market up, probably should be moving out of stocks into safer investments. This country is moving more than ever into the rich getting richer and the non rich getting poorer. God help us all, hopefully we will have affordable healthcare for all. The worry and stress is not good.

• 6feetover
    Options

Like I quipped in another thread, "The rich get richer and the poor get...caskets! Ain't we got fun?!" Seriously, if my DH and I could legally move overseas to the lands of our ancestors (i.e., Scandinavia/northern Europe), we'd be out of here in a flippin' heartbeat. In NO OTHER "FIRST-WORLD" NATION do citizens have to stress about being able to afford medical bills, worry about sadistic, punitive action on the part of their governments because of an inability to pay for ridiculously-priced medical services, or live in fear of losing their homes and everything they hold dear. The whole thing is OFFENSIVE and EVIL. No wonder we can't actually LIVE our lives! No wonder cancer returns with a vengeance!!! Devil

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    Options

I wasn't in paid employment at the time of my diagnosis (I do some volunteer work with a local charity) so taking time off wasn't an issue for me. My hubby works full-time. His employers have been very supportive throughout my treatment. He has not missed one appointment with my surgeon or oncologist, not missed one scan and he took me to every chemo treatment. He also had 2 weeks off when I had surgery. He has never been docked even one hour of pay. He gets a medical certificate each time he attends with me which states he was present for emotional/physical support. He submits the certificate with his time sheet and he is paid carers leave. No questions asked. So glad to live in Australia where workers rights and entitlements are protected and everyone gets a decent minimum wage ($17.70 per hour). Every day I feel fortunate for our universal healthcare. Struggling with financial issues is a stress that sick people don't need.

• gardengypsy
    Options

You said it, adarkadaptedi!

• gardengypsy
    Options

Due to my neuropathy, fatigue, and brain fog, I was declared eligible for long-term disability today. Although I will only be making 60% of my salary, I am grateful for this. I am so afraid that this is the end of my teaching career. I worked very, very hard for it.

• gardengypsy
    Options

Smurfette~ Your national health care is enviable. The fact that your DH's support is also a part of that is just wonderful.

When it comes to health care systems, sanity eludes the USA.

• 6feetover
    Options

I wonder if Canada was serious?

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,027
    Options

FYI - there is an organization/website called Cancer and Careers, which may be of help to someone.