Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can I take DIM with Femara?

Options

Does anyone have information about taking DIM with Femara? I'm post menapause/post bc. Just started Femara a month ago and I'm curious if DIM would help metabolize/flush estrogen, and if that would help with the side effects. Or if there are any negative interactions that anyone knows of. My docs look at me like I have three heads when I ask about any natural/holistic support or supplements. Ugh.

Comments

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

The Femara should prevent you making any estrogen to flush/metabolize

• I am wondering the same thing. I am about to start femara and really nervous about it due to osteopenia. I was thinking of taking half dose and supplementing with DIM. I can't find any information of drug interactions. My Onc is not open to Complementary therapies either.

• I am wondering the same thing. I am about to start femara and really nervous about it due to osteopenia. I was thinking of taking half dose and supplementing with DIM. I can't find any information of drug interactions. My Onc is not open to Complementary therapies either.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    Options

High guys. IMO there is no need to take DIM with Femara. I take DIM inlleu of anti hormone treatment to avoid the SEs. Not saying that's what everyone should do. Jus my opinion...

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    Options

That was my first thought too, that someone taking an AI would not have any estrogen to metabolize, but AI therapies like Femara prevent only about 1/2 of expected recurrences. What about everyone else?

In women who take an AI and have a recurrence, what happens? Does the AI somehow fail to block all the estrogen production? If so, perhaps taking DIM might not be a bad idea. Because AI therapy obviously doesn't work for everyone,(although I'm not exactly sure why) and it doesn't prevent anywhere close to all expected recurrences, using DIM as a back-up might make sense. By nearly all reports taking DIM is as safe as eating lots and lots of brocolli and as far as supplements go, it is pretty affordable.

I take DIM with tamoxifen, but that is a whole different ballgame, it works (when it works) quite differently and taking DIM makes a lot of sense to me.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    Options

labelle...as usual your post makes a lot of sense. You are right!

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789
    Options

my MO says that AI only decrease the estrgen, not eliminate it. So there is still some estrogen present. What is DIM?

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,251
    Options

I’ve read the reason for ER+ recurrence is not that the AI inadequately reduces estrogen (AI “failure”), but that the tumor cells can evolve to synthesize their own estrogen. Also, new research (recommended by the Mods) indicates that older women (IIRC, >60) with less-aggressive tumors can safely stop AIs after 5 yrs. because our life expectancies are shorter—we’d die of other age-related natural causes before ER+ mets would get us. Although it is true that for us old farts, continuing to suppress estrogen after 5 yrs lessens the chance of mets, apparently, it doesn’t extend life.

• Sonya9
    Sonya9 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Iabelle you said you take DIM with tamoxifen? I started tamoxifen 2 months ago and my oestrogen levels have tripled- so I'm looking for a natural supplement I can take with it. My onc ignores all discussion of natural treatments. Did DIM + tamoxifen work for you?

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

The AI prevents your body from converting testosterone into estrogen. So there is no need to "flush" any estrogen. However, from stuff I read (albeit a long time ago) a high-fibre diet and probiotics can help eliminate any residual estrogen.

• Entap325
    Entap325 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I recently but can't find now saying something about they use the same receptors and Dim may block Famera's effectiveness anyone know anything about this?

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

I didn't find anything about femara, but found the following on possible interaction between Tamox and DIM:

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/26/3/435.1

• Entap325
    Entap325 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Iread this also somewhere, and to don't remember where.

• angcas
    angcas Member Posts: 1
    Options

I'm taking Letrozole but I was reading up on DIM. You can get that in veggies. Mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, kale. Don't boil as boiling loses the nutrients, either steam or microwave. You can take DIM when your hormone treatment is done. I read somewhere that certain supplements should not be taken with hormone therapy, ask your doctor.

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    Options

I, too, am contemplating ordering a DIM supplement as I have not yet started the AI Letrozole that was prescribed. I vowed to have a good holiday with family and I am just coming out of treatment and slowly feeling myself again. I wanted to get a good brand of DIM supplement just in case I cannot tolerate the AI side effects. More of a pessamist about those horrid drugs.