Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Highest risk of cancer recurrence?

Options
2»

Comments

• trinigirl50
    trinigirl50 Member Posts: 158
    Options

The benefit to being highly ER and PR positive is that you are luminal A and they are the least aggressive of cancers, and the ones with the best prognosis. The downside is that they have the highest rate of late recurrence. But you also have the best chance at preventing recurrence with anti-hormonal therapy.

• FarAwayToo
    FarAwayToo Member Posts: 79
    Options

I'm not stage 3, but wanted to comment that not all highly ER/PR positive cancers are luminal A. If your Ki 67 percentage is >15 (or 20, according to some sources), then it's luminal B. They have higher rate of recurrences than luminal A. Not sure about that timing, but they do worse than luminal A and usually are recommended for chemo, regardless of clinical stage (i.e. stage 1 Luminal B cancer is likely to get chemo based on Oncotype DX or MammaPrint).

I think deep down the classification is a lot more complex than just ER/PR and Ki 67 percentages, and is based on molecular and genetic characteristics. I think MammaPrint provides this info based on their 70 genes assay.

• berries
    berries Member Posts: 80
    Options

Thank you so much!

My Ki67 is 15%.

I'm not eligible for the Mamaprint, so, as we do, I have been doing my own research to understand my disease. It sounds like I am luminal A. I'm also using it to determine if I am willing to take a break from hormone therapy (when the time comes) to get pregnant. I'm 35 and have two baby boy embryos on ice.

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    Options

Hi vmb,

My report does not include ki67, I am in Canada. However I know ki67 15% is quite good score, not the best.

• Sher77
    Sher77 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Does everyone that's hormone positive have hormone therapy recommended? I'm low grade DCIS, >2mm and everything was removed, ER+ PR+. I don't want hormone therapy.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    Options

Sher, I was ER+ and PR+HER2-, 7 mm tumor, stage 1A, grade 2, node negative. I had BMX and femara was recommended. After using the online calculators, getting oncotype score, considering I’ve had oophorectomy, stopped HRT, low BMI, I decided against using an AI. I am 68 and quality of life is more important to me. The risks of the SE of AI’s are not a trade off I am willing to make. Never much of a gambler, but taking Kenny Rogers advice to “know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run.” It’s a hard decision and ultimately you’ll do what you believe is best for you. Hoping for the best for you.