Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Recently Diagnosed

Options
2»

Comments

• Stillshocked
    Stillshocked Member Posts: 11
    Options

Just heard from Dr. office. The HER-2 came back negative making me a triple negative. See the oncologist next week. Good news is that the great MRI didn't show any other affected areas. Just need to wait for the body scan to make sure it's no where else as well. Tumor size is only 1.3cm so i am told that is small. Port should be in soon and onto chemo.

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    Options

Glad to hear you got your results; it's all a lot to take it but then at least you can make a plan and start taking control. And good news on the small size and the MRI results! Thanks much for taking the time to update us.

• Wonderfulmom
    Wonderfulmom Member Posts: 6
    Options

I am so sorry. My relationship with God became much closer as He helped me a lot. It was such a shock, though because I felt like a young 46 and I had 3 healthy, no problem pregnancies, rarely became sick and had never had an operation, nor had I had to be hospitalized. I also knew that since it was in 3 areas, I would not be able to have a lumpectomy, it would have to be a mastectomy. The day I found out, I went home, went to bed with a migraine and woke up with a fever blister. I never thought this would happen to me. Take it step by step and feel free to private message me, if you want to. I am 7 years cancer free now.

• Jsan11
    Jsan11 Member Posts: 22
    Options

I just wanted to reach back with an update of the last few days as it was a whirlwind of a week to say the least.

Stillshocked.........our diagnosis seem almost identical!

We received MRI Results and Hormone Receptor Results. MRI shows the size of the tumor in my right breast is consistent with the measurements during ultrasound and core biopsy/pathology which is 1.3cm. Auxillary lymph nodes appear to be clear. There is another spot shown on the MRI in the same breast, though they do not think it is cancer. However, to be certain I had an ultrasound Friday and now a core biopsy scheduled for tomorrow.

We are also still awaiting the Genetic test results for the BRCA...hoping to have those early this week.

As for the hormone receptor test - we learned this week that I am Triple Negative :( that was the bombsell I was not expecting to hear. Now that we know I am triple negative, we were advised I would infact need chemo. At this point lumpectomy is still the option assuming the 2nd lump is not cancerous and assuming my BRCA comes back negative. However, thanks to the Triple Neg, we now know chemo is a must.

We met with an Oncologist who explained doing chemo first gave advantage of seeing if it worked to shrink the tumor prior to surgery, however, it would include a cocktail of the A,C & T chemo drugs and the A comes with other health risks. If we did surgery first, then we do C & T and only add in the A IF it is found during surgery to have made it's way to my lymph nodes. All of these decisions are so stressful!

• Fab65
    Fab65 Member Posts: 6
    Options

So sorry to hear you’ve been dealing with so much :0( I pray your genetic testing comes back with better news. Hope you getthose results soon and it lifts a little stress from your shoulders.

Thoughts, hugs, and prayers are with you :0)

• Jsan11
    Options

Update: Follow up ultrasound determined there is no 2nd spot that needs to be tested/biopsied. And Genetic tests came back that I do not have the BRCA genes :) It was a good past couple of days.

• Georgia1
    Options

Super, Jsan. Take those victories as they come!

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    Options

Jsan:

Happy for good news for you!

• Jsan11
    Options

EastCoastTS and Georgia1: Thank you!

• Wonderfulmom
    Wonderfulmom Member Posts: 6
    Options

Great news!

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    Options

Great news.

• Jsan11
    Options

Happy Friday Everyone! I am back with an update after being off the board for a few weeks. After much consideration, we decided that doing surgery and then chemo and radiation felt best to us. On Jan. 16th I had a lumpectomy, sentinel and one auxiliary node removal, 2nd mystery spot located and removed and chemo smart port placed. Everything went really well and recovery has been good, very minimal pain. At firs the port was the most uncomfortable but nothing advil couldn't handle a couple of times. No true pain meds needed. Port no longer a bother and right breast (surgical side) is now somewhat tender, I am guessing from being more active now. I have my post op on the 31st with my surgeon. I met with Oncologist yesterday and received good news on the pathology results. Margins are clear, lymph nodes had no cancer cells, tumor size remained at 1.3cm. I had them retest estrogen levels as well......still Triple Negative but that's ok. I will do 4 cycles of chemo every three weeks (Cytoxan and Taxotere). I do not need the Adrimyacin. And then 5-7 weeks of radiation M-F. Stage is 1 :) So incredibly thankful for my medical team from the Mammogram that captured it on the images, the radiologist who spotted it, my amazing surgeon and my Onc, as well as all of the friendly medical staff along the way. While the process is not over, I feel a huge sense of relief to have the tumor out and heading towards the next steps of treatment. Thank you to everyone on this board who has shared with me and encourage. You have all been awesome and much love and encouragement to everyone at all stages of treatment. I am now looking at doing the Cold Cap and going to look for that board to find pointers since the hospital doesn't provide it, I have to get it on my own.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    Options

Jsan11:

Happy to hear that you're doing well. You sound like you're in good spirits!

Big hug to you, too. Lots of info on cold caps here - and folks who have used them.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    Options

Jsan11- sounds like you have everything in place. Best of luck to you.

• Georgia1
    Options

Wonderful! So great to hear clean margins and no lymph node involvement. No doubt the next few months will be tough, but it will all be over before you know it. All best wishes for you!

• Kelhab
    Kelhab Member Posts: 7
    Options

hi how are you … im new here and really having a very tough time with this. I had a prophylactic double mastectomy 10 years ago and just found out i have a invasive ductal in my axillary tail. I am devastated and cant sleep eat think nothing. I am 43 and i feel like my life is over. The location is very scary near nodes in the axilla.

• sabbymama
    sabbymama Member Posts: 82
    Options

I'm so sorry that you are facing this scary diagnosis Kelhab, especially after being so proactive and pursuing a double mastectomy a decade ago. You are so young, and I understand why you are feeling so devastated and I assure you we all felt that way upon being diagnosed and it's perfectly natural, but try to stay as positive as possible. You don't know yet if it has reached the nodes or spread further and there are surgical options to remove positive nodes either way.

Things are constantly evolving and BC patients are beating this diagnosis! There are so many treatment options available and many approaches to helping you conquer this battle. If you read through some of the community boards on here you will find tons of stories from women including those with node-positive cancer that are thriving. Personally, I had 4 positive lymph nodes and I'll admit that I do fear that it may have spread and I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't keep me up at night on occasion, but I try to look past it and live my life to the fullest of my abilities every day ;). Thinking of you and sending positive vibes, big hugs, and best wishes!

Cheers,

Sabbymama

• Kelhab
    Options

thank you so much for the quick reply…i feel like im in a nightmare that i can't wake up from. I feel so alone like im a mutant or something. All the people around me are living there lives taking care of there families enjoying there lives etc and im here. I feel so alone and scared

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    Options

Welcome, Kelhab. We're so sorry you find yourself here, we know how difficult and scary this can be. We're all here for you, you are not alone!

The Mods

• Kelhab
    Options

hi im new here and im going through the same thing now. I had a double prophalactic mastectomy 9 years ago and was just diagnosed w idc in my armpit. Im freaking out Help