Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting June 2018

Options

Comments

• lilych
    lilych Member Posts: 176
    edited October 2018
    Options

But going forward don't you still need to mamo the remaining girl ?Happy

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited October 2018
    Options

rachelcarter35:

Yes, very nice table!

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592
    edited October 2018
    Options

lilyChi, yes I will with the UMX, need on the natural breast only. If you have BMX my understanding is no more mammon's. I plan on trying to get MRI and MAMMO on natural breast since they pick up different issues, don't know if insurance will go for that.

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been gone for awhile because my last chemo kicked my butt! Physically and emotionally. I thought after finishing chemo, i would be so happy but didn’t happen. I felt worse facing radiation, exchange surgery, year of herceptin, 10 years of tomoxifen, follow up on my thyroids and fibroids. It just seem endless for me but people kept telling me how it was over since i am done with chemo so i got so mad and had to get antidepressants.

Oops, this is why i stayed away so i wouldn’t bring anyone down. Lol. But it gets better. I feel better. I have appointment with my RO Monday to start my radiation. I heard it takes about 10 days to actually start the radiation because they have to do mapping and stuff i was told. My PS told me to be diligent about lotioning my skin because he says he could already tell I would have problems. Great:(

I don’t miss work but I miss that I was able to. If that makes any sense.
  • WC3
    edited October 2018
    Options

timetobebrave70:

I have much of the same road ahead of me, though I don't plan on radiation but I might still need it depending on how my lymph nodes/margins come back.

I had a lot of things to contend with before the cancer though and I find that when looking ahead is overwhelming, it's better to focus on the elements of life you can take pleasure in. At some point in the very near future I am going to have to pay my taxes, decide which PS to use, have surgery, etc etc etc, but right now, in this very moment, I am going to go have a banana flavored popsicle and try to take the bigger things in smaller bits.

• Washington48
    Washington48 Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2018
    Options

RosieRed! Definitely congratulations on finishing! I am SO eager to be done. These last weeks are taking a toll for sure. One toenail has fallen off, finger and toe tips numb, and exhaustion constant...but only 3 to go! Dr reduced amount of Taxol hoping to alleviate pesky side effects! I follow each of you as you finish and can see the light at the end! Still trying to walk every day...not as far as cannot wear shoes yet waiting for nail bed to toughen up. Flip flops work for short distances. Stay strong out there!

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited October 2018
    Options

Washington4: just yesterday....9 weeks out from TC ending ...I've noticed that I think ALL my finger nails are separating at the tips and are very tender. I've kept them covered with nail polish so I didn't have to look at the purple beds and has shown how quickly they are growing at the base. I'm wondering what the signs were before your nail fell off? I'm hoping the good base will hold them on. Most of the things that make me mentally healthy through all of this is working with my hands - art - gardening - cooking and now this!

• cc738nj
    cc738nj Member Posts: 49
    edited October 2018
    Options

Chemo... the gift that keeps on giving. I'm also 9 weeks out from last TC and after all this time of keeping my eyebrows and eyelashes they started falling out last week and are now all gone. I look worse now (when people think I'm "done") than during chemo... My fingernails seem to be holding but there's a definite "chemo line" of discoloration with the newer parts more natural color. Just taking it one day at a time....

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited October 2018
    Options

I've got 3 more weekly cycles of Taxol left. They reduced my dose by 25% last week and the MO said we will be going with this dose until I'm done. They abruptly made the change while I was getting my premeds last week because I mentioned that my feet were kind of like walking on bricks. They were concerned that I might fall or that the neuropathy will be permanent. MO said that I'm still getting 90%+ of the overall dose and the target is 80%. Chemo is a science, but also an art. Trying to get most benefit with the least harm he says. Not happy, but I really want to be able to exercise when I'm done. Some fingernails and toenails sore, but still hanging in. Lashes and brows still thinning, but still have some.

Herceptin will continue, but he said I won't be starting endocrine therapy until after chemo. Yeah for small mercies.

Radiation consult on the 31st. Will be getting my planning apt. then. At the planning they give you your first treatment date/time. It will be after the month washout at the end of chemo. So early/mid December.

Apt on Monday for my echo to check heart for damage from Herceptin. Actually hoping it will be better as I had some issues with the A portion of the chemo and my heart function. Or at least not worse.

So, like all of you, I'm looking forward to being done chemo. But it really doesn't feel like done with all the upcoming appointments. Have apts booked through April already.

I don't think people get how time consuming all this is. 6 weeks of radiation sounds short, but actually means 30 treatment apts + a couple of followups with RO. Have a friend who thinks that I'm too focused on treatment. How can I not be when each day involves SEs and uncertainty about what I can do. Also, with cold and flu season starting to have to be careful - Hello! Immune compromised.

Just focusing on getting to the other side. Glad to see everyone is moving forward with their treatment plans.

• rachelcarter35
    edited October 2018
    Options

bgirl - I think your friend who told you that you are too focused on treatment must have no idea what this is like. It's a full time job...staying informed, advocating for yourself protecting yourself physically and emotionally. The goal is to get through this and be healthy as possible in the end. I think that requires giving it your all while you are in it. The things people say... pfhwewt!

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited October 2018
    Options

YES, bgirl, I agree completely with rachelcarter35, for sure. It is our full time job to get through this and out the other end of the treatment as healthily as we can, so it is completely consuming. You’re right to give it your all, we just have to. Probably this really is hard for anyone else to completely understand. Thank heavens for this forum. Take good care of yourself

• bgirl
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks ladies.

I know that you all get it. 20 weeks of dose dense chemo beyond comprehension to most (thankfully for them). They think I'm upset about my hair, really that is not even on the worry list. Just the struggle to eat and drink enough can be all consuming some days. The information load is constant too. Glad everyone in this group is getting closer to the end. We are champs for getting through this!!

• WC3
    edited October 2018
    Options

bgirl:

I lost 30lbs and became obsessed with watching food videos on Youtube because I wanted to eat but couldn't for various reasons. I never thought things tasted metallic, like I have often heard about, just ungodly variations of "bad" to the point that they were unpalatable (and I don't have the most refined taste in the world), and the first week after my infusion, eating rice was like eaty little razor blades, and then there was the instant stomach cramping and tender esophagus and swollen taste buds and acid reflux that made everything burn.

I could always eat egg white sandwhiches though. I'm curious to see what recipes chef's like Gordon Ramsay would come up with on chemo. That would be an interesting show. Master Chef: Chemo Version.

My second to last infusion wasn't bad but last infusion was the worst. I came out of my "taste nadir" yesterday though and with the help of imodium, had a pretty good tasting burrito and soy free vegan brownie.

I'm sending good food thoughts your way!

• bgirl
    edited October 2018
    Options

WC3 I would definitely love to see that show. Whatever I had a taste for on any given day, put together in their surprise ingredient baskets. Make a meal out of that.

I killed my taste for smoothies trying to stay out of the hospital round 1 of DDAC. Meds didn't work first round. Better meds, but still had to be simple foods when I was alone all day as the A chemo affected my heart and I couldn't stand for long. No metallic taste, but stuff tasted weird. Add bad reflux even with meds, thrush in throat and esophagus making it difficult to swallow. Made for a constant changing of "what can I eat today".

I am very glad it was summer. Days I survived off of white bread that I normally wouldn't eat and fruit. White bread made into french toast. White bread with low acid tomatoes from garden in a sandwich (occasionally with bacon if I was craving salt). A few fresh veggies from the garden cooked - didn't taste like much, but made my husband happy. A few bites of meat for the same reason and to hopefully prevent iron deficiency anemia on top of my chemo induced anemia.

Surprise ingredients: White bread, nectarine, 1 oz of chicken breast, salt, beaten egg, milk alternative, broth, potato, carrot, oatmeal

Surprise ingredients for a bad day: nectarine, broth, milk alternative

Rules: Make 4-6 small, tasty, nutritious meals. No other added spices, sauces or fats for delicate tummies. Food must be soft so it does hurt sore mouths and throats - no toasting that bread. Potato and carrot are okay, but you need to go dig it from the garden and cook it immediately as it has a different taste/texture. All food must be handled in a food safe manner, scrub that fruit and veg well and cook that meat to a proper temperature (we are immune compromised). Serve food not too hot or cold depending on the day. Oh, and suggest some variations that would keep someone interested in eating for 20 weeks.

We should pitch this to the Food Channel, I'm sure we could all come up with some great lists.

• journeyforward
    journeyforward Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2018
    Options

I started chemo June 4th and after my third treatment I had really bad dry eyes. I mean to the point were I need to walk around with tissues, blotting my eyes due to watering throughout the day. My eyes tear up when I am walking - anytime air hits them. The watery eyes interfere with reading and wearing the little bit of make-up I try to wear so I will feel presentable during my cancer treatments.

I am now 4 weeks out from my final chemo round and I continue to have dry eyes. I have been using Zydra eye drops two times daily but it doesn't really help that much. Does any one know of a good remedy for this condition? My MO tells me it will lessen and should go away in about three months. This is really a nuisance and it interferes with quality of life as much as other SE we chemo patients must deal with.

• Kat22
    Kat22 Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2018
    Options

journeyforward: Me too! I'm five weeks out from my final chemo and my eyes are like faucets. I have a tissue with me at all times. The nose too, but not AS bad. My eyes, though....sooooo annoying. IDK what to do about it, but it's sure annoying as hell.

• rachelcarter35
    edited October 2018
    Options

My doctor thinks taxotere should me called tax-o-tear. My eye issues were at their worst AFTER I completed my last infusion about 10 days out. They resolved at about 4 weeks out.

• journeyforward
    journeyforward Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2018
    Options

Kat22 - thanks for the support I thought I was the only one dealing with this mess. I'm about to go to work and I hope I don't drip on my patients arm when I take her vital signs. This SE is a BIG nuisance.

rachelcarter35 - tax-o-tear is right! ...It's good to know it will clear up soon.

To All of this community - Thanks for the support, its good to know I am not alone in this:)

• Washington48
    Washington48 Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2018
    Options

Loved reading all your posts! Tax-O-Tear idea is way funny...but real. I go nowhere without tons of Kleenex....I should have purchased stock in the tissue market. Only one infusion to go after today. My nails are all dark brown/ purple with white spots. Saw podiatrist finally about big toenail coming off and she said rest should hold. I hope so. These final treatments are just evil...exhaustion, nausea back (thank goodness for anti-nausea pills) and food really tasting bad. No great weight loss as hubby cooks and carefully encourages to “eat just a bit more.” He has been great. You alll are so right. The only people who understand are those going through it or have done so. I certainly value those friends who send cheerful, encouraging cards. The cards always seem to arrive just when I need a boost!. Hang in there

• Kat22
    edited October 2018
    Options

Notes from 2 weeks PFC: taste buds are recovering, stuff still tastes odd but getting much better. Neuropathy is easing a bit, energy level and just feeling better in general is progressing nicely. Just worked 7 days straight, only problem is ankle/feet swelling which is really painful. Surgery tomorrow........just want this DONE. Praying so hard for successful surgery. Happy thoughts to all!

• yellowb
    yellowb Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2018
    Options

Just 2 more AC infusions... I am so happy. In a few hours, only 2 more Neulastas, as well. :subdued chemo patient party of ... tea and a couple prunes:

Also, pcranky came and visited during my infusion yesterday. There's something really heart-warming about getting to see each other in real life -- it felt like family you don't get to see often. If any of you guys are nearby to each other, I recommend it!

• lilych
    edited October 2018
    Options

Kat22, best wishes for your surgery tomorrow!!! keep us posted how it goes

• WC3
    edited October 2018
    Options

Kat22:

Good luck on the surgery! I hope you don't mind me asking Are you having a lumpectomy or mastectomy?

• lilych
    edited October 2018
    Options

WC3, I believe she mentioned lumpectomy a while ago

Happy

• WC3
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks. My memory isn’t the best at the moment

• Kat22
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes, lumpectomy and nodes. Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted!

• timetobebrave70
    edited October 2018
    Options
    LOL! most of our memories aren’t at the moment. I was talking to my sister, hung up, few minutes later i called her back and asked how we ended our phone call and she was like i got another call and told you i would call you back 🤪🤪🤪

kat22, Good luck tomorrow!!!! I hopr you have a speedy recovery and able to go back to work earlier. 🙏🙏🙏🙏

Are you taking anything for your ankle and feet? I have the same problem and the doctor prescribed me diuretic but i try to correct it myself first. i elevate my feet above my heart at night and its normal in the morning. i drink more water and use the restroom more often. i elevate my feet whenever possible when sitting. watch my salt intake and eat more protein. it seems to be getting better. I can’t bend my knees and stuff though. its weird kind of pain. like my skin is so dry and its going to split open.

Tomorrow is my day 3/33 radiation. I am scared that i am going to have skin issues..i have very fair and sensitive skin. i already have a weird sensation like a sunburn. hopefully its just in my head. my doctor prescribed me Radioplex, recommended aquaphore and coconut oil. I also ordered a hospital gown that looks like a wrap for my daily radiation treatment. it’s called a radiant wrap. it’s hospital approved gown that looks cute and i don’t have to change into their hospital gown everyday. my center don’t even give me new ones everyday. i have to leave it in a box with my name on it and we wear it through the whole treatment! Boy, what a way to try to save money with dry cleaning. Anyway, i will handle it with care so if anyone wants it after me let me know:))). i can’t wait for it to get here.

yellob! You are almost done! Woo Hoo!!!!
  • timetobebrave70
    edited October 2018
    Options

imageHere’s a picture of it.

• Kat22
    edited October 2018
    Options

Timetobebrave: Love that wrap! So cute :) MO said she thought the ankle swelling was because my protein was a bit low. So for a couple weeks I went back to hitting the Boost and Ensure high protein hard. Didn't help. The other day I started thinking about what else changed 3-4 weeks ago. The only thing is that she put me on a potassium supplement. So Tuesday I didn't take one and the swelling and pain was noticeably better. It always goes down at night, but then right back up when I stand all day at work. So it'll be hard to test that theory being off for 2 weeks. We'll see....off to the hospital in about an hour. Forced myself to sleep in today so I have less time to think about what's ahead.

• Kat22
    edited October 2018
    Options

Super Happy to report that the 3 nodes she removed today were CLEAR!!!! She removed more tissue than expected on the LX, but I don't even care. I take that as a sign that she was very thorough and I'm so optimistic that the pathology will come back with good news as well. How can it not? For those who have asked about "why chemo first?", well here's your answer! I am home, feeling great, pain is minimal/nonexistent. No words to describe this feeling.....Continued good thoughts to all :)