Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting November 2018

Options

Comments

• nanette7fl
    nanette7fl Member Posts: 412
    Options

Maddie isn't it amazing?? Hiw a,simple break feo chemo makesyoufeel more human 8) I'm 1 week out from Taxol and feel great most of the time.

The theater looks lovely. I hope the show it enjoyable and that you have a great night out. You'll actually be able to concentrate on the show instead of fading in and out.

• Hazel-Nut
    Hazel-Nut Member Posts: 116
    Options

Nanette - thats how mine started! Now most of the long stuff is that wispy white fluff with regular hair coming in under. I'm going to buzz off the white stuff soon and let the undergrowth come up. It's so soft though, I can't stop touching it.

MB1 - I'm so glad you had some symptom relief! That theater is beautiful, hope you enjoyed the show. I love going out to Frederick, it's such a pretty town.

I should hear from the onc today about whether we're a go or not for chemo on Wednesday. The last time we talked she said if we didn't resume this week then we'd have to stop altogether. While I'm ready to be done, I'm not ready to just quit. The thought of stopping early scares the bejeesus out of me. I'm still getting the episodes of shooting pain and pins and needles in my hands but the numbness has gone down a lot.

• missouricatlady
    missouricatlady Member Posts: 894
    Options

Nanette - your hair is looking awesome, so exciting!!!

Flower - hope your itchiness leads to some hair growth!

Maddie - that theater is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing the photo. Hope the show was good. 2 more tacos left, great, you will be done shortly! We will be doing radiation at about the same time maybe, I see the surgeon Thursday to get my date set up (probably end of March/first of April, after I start to rebound from treatment tomorrow), and then waiting 6 weeks to start radiation. I hope you qualify for the clinical trial. I'm glad you have no overnight hospital stays coming up and hope I have that same schedule. You have a best friend from Oregon - our son lives in Portland. I was able to go out and see him once, a few years ago. It is a beautiful place! Nice you had a visit. Thank you for the radiation tips and please keep them up, I am nervous about it. I received a camisole in the mail yesterday, just in case I need to wear it to work.

Hazel - hope you are able to have your treatment on Wednesday. Keep up the hair updates please! Give your beautiful kitty some kitty kisses.

I'm going for the last chemo treatment Wednesday, I had to delay it from last week. If my platelets are too low, we will only do 3 drugs and skip the carboplatin. That drug is making both my big toenails fall off, lovely for summer. Our Joplin therapy dog is coming to see me and the other patients, his name is Louie (you can see him on Facebook at Louie Comfort Dog). I work with one of the ladies who helps with Louie and met him a few years ago at a NAMI walk. Hoping everyone is feeling good today and sending good thoughts that everyone can finish up their treatments on schedule, so we can keep taking that step forward. Hugs to you. Lisa

• nanette7fl
    Options

MissouriCatLady glad your last treatmen is tomorrow!!I hope your plateletsate better. It soinds,nice to have a visit from Louie 8) My rottweiler, Missy, is my constant companion and she knows more about how I'm feeling sometimes than I do lol

Flowers how's the itching doing? Any signs of hair coming in?

Maddie how was the theater? Excited to hear how it was. Such a special night out. My DH would never dream to go to anything like that.

Hazel-Nut if mine stays white I'll be happy with that lol Just to have hair again 8)

Note to all about the upcoming Herceptin treatment....My MO forgot to tell me that Herceptin starts 1 week after chemo. The office had to call me and let me know about it and set u p my appt. The normal time for that dose (because its larger) is 30-90 minutes. I had severe nausea that occurred instantly about 15 min through the 30 min and we had to stop to treat me with ketril(sp?) for the nausea... and then restart at a slower dosage rate. Don't be afraid to speak up if something isn't going right. My time will be1 hr for the next year.

• missouricatlady
    Options

Nanette - thank you for posting this. I have to stay on Herceptin for a year too and you answered lot of my questions. I will be asking about this tomorrow. I may get Perjeta too, my favorite diarrhea drug. I don't notice it so much anymore. I was wondering how long it would take, thank you very much. Many hugs to you and please keep in touch. That little girl in your photo is such a cutie pie! I'm glad you have your dog, Missy, to help you through this. I have a lot of cats, but miss our dog we used to have, he died of cancer about 3 years ago. He is out on the fence line under the trees, flying free. Miss you, Cooper, good boy.

• nanette7fl
    Options

Missouri...thanks that's Annabelle my daughter's oldest when she was 3 she's 7 now. Missy is the 4th dog I've had in the past 20 yrs. The rest are sleeping along the back fence line like your Cooper from old age. I only have gotten my dogs and cats from rescues or shelters to five them the love I feel they deserve and I've been paid back so much more over the years. Rosie is my Manx and is like Missy and won't leave me alone when I'm having a bad day or night lol but I have warm feet and my side is warm too from them laying on or near me lol

You're right I think we get used to the runs and they sadly become part of our lives. Yesterday I had to calculate at the hospital where the closest rest room was and make that mad rush to find it.

• Hazel-Nut
    Options

Yay, I had chemo! I can't believe I'm actually glad of the opportunity to spend half my day sitting in a chair getting that shit pumped in to me. What a life we lead, eh? The chemo break was just long enough to let a lot of my side effects lessen or go away and I do hate having to go back to feeling crappy again. I didn't realize just how bad I felt until I didn't feel that way anymore :( They decreased my dose as well so maybe the side effect won't be as bad for the rest of them... Only 6 more to go.

MOCat - the kitty had to go to the vet yesterday and we got a talking to about her weight. She's a plus size kitty and has to go on a diet. Its not going to be fun. She's a nightmare when her food bowl goes empty.

• nanette7fl
    Options

Hazel-Nut Hurray for you and chemo so glad you're getting to continue!! Sorry about your kitty's need for a diet sigh that won't be fun 8(

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Yay Hazel!!!! Feel good!

Missouri-hope all went well with your treatment today!!!

Well, its four weeks since my last chemo treatment and I am just starting to feel like myself. BUT, now I am stressing about starting 33 sessions of radiation on Monday! So I got thinking-this is our new normal-either dealing with treatments and/or surgery, or taking tests and stressing over results. I really would like my "boring" life back!!!

Be well everyone!!!!!!!

• missouricatlady
    Options

Hazel-Nut - Yay for chemo! You don't realize how much you really want it (right? :) ), until they won't let you have it! Hope you have less side effects with a reduced dose. Since I skipped the carboplatin, no Neulasta for me, yay yay yay! My weekend will be much better! My fingernails all are soaked up with carboplatin, so I think maybe my body had as much as it wanted.

Flower - Enjoy the time you are feeling better and soak it all in! Please keep us posted on radiation, it would be so nice to know how things are going, and I hope they go well. I'm with you, I'd like that boring life back too! Ultrasounds and the mention of plastic surgeon appointments do not make me so happy, just cause more stress.

I had 3 out of 4 drugs yesterday because my platelets went from 51,000 to a whopping 53,000, he gave me the choice again (he did that last week and I waited a week), but this time we called it the last one and I rang the bell so loud, my husband gave me the funniest look! I had gone up to see the surgeon after chemo and he asked me, did you ring the bell, and we had not, but that was where we had parked our car, so on the way out we did. The surgeon said, ring it so loud I can hear it (he is on the 4th floor). Surgeon is talking mastectomy and lumpectomy and asking for another ultrasound, so we will go do that next week and then go back. I have to wait til after surgery to start radiation. Mastectomy or lumpectomy. The best part of this group, warrior women, is I can tell you how scared I am. I haven't cried yet, but I can feel it coming on this weekend, when I'm alone. Thanks for letting me talk to you from the heart. I think about you ladies and keep you in my prayers. Love and hugs, Lisa

• missouricatlady
    Options

and hugs to the kitty, Hazel, ah the poor diet is no fun for a pretty kitty cat. Maybe just a snack here and then, a little Frisky Party.

• frmthahart
    frmthahart Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hazel - YAY! for getting chemo! I hope the reduced dose keeps the SE's minimal and you able to keep moving forward!

Lisa - YAY! for being on this side of your final chemo! I hope your platelets recover quickly. It is not fun when they are that low.

Flower - how is the itching? Did it mean the start of hair growth? I will be thinking about you Monday and hope that your first Rad treatment will be a piece of cake! Let us know how it goes . You are leading the charge - and we are all anxious about it too ;)

I am 10 days PFC and still feeling "off" for lack of a better word. I am starting to get frustrated and feel a little stuck. I am back in the chair Tuesday for my HP. So, it really doesn't feel like anything has changed.

F

• missouricatlady
    Options

Frmthahart - Thank you, will be thinking of you Tuesday and hope everything goes well. Wishing all you ladies a nice weekend and hope you can all feel well!

• nanette7fl
    Options

Frmthaheart... it does get better and you will get unstuck it just takes time. I'm a week ahead of you (today I'm 17 days PFC) and I feel more like "me" than I have in months. Please watch yourself on that 1st large dose of Herceptin. I'm doing 600mg every 21 days and I couldn't handle it over the 30 min and got sick so it'll be 1 hr each session. Also the big D still visits me and I never know when it's going to be here😥 and it makes going out no fun at all 😭

• missouricatlady
    Options

Nanette, this is good to know, my infusion nurse told me 30 minutes on Herceptin and 30 minutes on Perjeta now that TCHP is over, I'm not sure how many mg that is, but it is every 21 days. Sorry about the big D, still a problem for me too. I've been reading on lumpectomy versus mastectomy versus double mastectomy and my head just spins and spins. Think a break is needed. Hugs to you and glad you are feeling more like yourself, that is awesome!

• nanette7fl
    Options

Missouri I have the head spins too. Only I have to decide on when I want to have reconstruction with my mastectomy or after I'm healed up. I was honest with the PS when met him on Thursday that I hate the idea of even having surgery really any surgery! ( He did show us what he would be using...a gel implant.) I know the remaining cancer in my left breast MUST go...I'm praying that having taxol 1st as neo shrunk it all up to the microscopic level. Still reading all about immediate vs delayed and permanent vs temp implants makes my head spin too!!

I have some jokes I'd like to share my daughter and I came up with while reading and learning all about implants. We've been making a lot of girl only jokes lately about the implants. We giggle like 2 teenagers lately. I think we've finally gotten to the point that we can both make fun of cancer.

Please the following jokes are NOT meant to be offensive to anyone and I'm not poking fun at anyone...ao please don't think I'm being rude..just trying to move on to the next phase of the breast cancer fight!

1. some of the implants are made from memory gel sooo if you're child needs a snuggly kind of hug...is your breast flat and slowly reforms like the memory foam mattress?

2. If they're like the memory foam pillows do you have to fluff your boobs every morning like you do your pillow?

3. Do you have to make sure you wear layers if its freezing outside to prevent the gel from getting cold and hard?

4. Mom, did you know that when it's all over a double boob job can cost over $100,000 over your lifetime? Honey that's why we have good insurance lol

5. DH wants to use my future boobs as collateral for a loan...sigh

Have a great day everyone and be well & ((hugs)) to you all

• MaddieBrie1
    MaddieBrie1 Member Posts: 112
    Options

One more to go. Up right now w a bout of insomnia (thank you steroids), night sweats and hot flashes. Had a new onco nurse from the practice shadow my normal nurse. Even with that short delay answering a few of her qs, we were in and out by 11:15a this morning. No iron and no IV benadryl saves about an hour and 20 min of chair time.

The Irish dance show was fantastic. We have a wedding to go to out of state 3 weeks from now. I think hubs, pup and I are going to make it a celebration weekend. Dog friendly hotel for 2 nights, do some hiking in the parks and celebrate the start of a new life with two good friends. Can't think of a better way to end chemo... It'll be 2 weeks after chemo, all the ucky stuff should be cleared out of my body and I should be more energetic and hopefully sleep better.

I really want to thank every single one of you for being so virtually supportive throughout my journey so far. All of us have various paths ahead to complete our bump in the road called BC. There are things I have discussed with you that I haven't shared with family and I really do appreciate the virtual ears and hugs.

I've gotten the "you're so brave" again from a younger colleague at work and I'm still just not really sure how exactly yo respond other than thank you. I still don't feel brave. I just don't want to not get thru this. There are days when it still feels like a struggle just to get up and out of bed. At some point you just do whatever it is you have to do to survive and thrive.

My oldest sisters' visit was short but good. We haven't talked talked about important things in a long time and have had somewhat of a superficial relationship since middle and high school. Lots of reasons why, too long to get into. Anyway, we had 2 meals together and drove around for half a day talking about life. It was interesting and soothing in some aspects. She is back in CT again safely.

Hope all of you are sleeping better than I tonight. This post chemo steroid induced insomnia is the pits....

XOXO ladies. MB1

PS - Jokes are good. I can laugh about this crazy ride too now. Best friend and I did quite a bit of that when she was here.... Laughter soothes the soul, takes less energy and creates more release of endorphins... Laugh on!!!

• Flower216
    Flower216 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Frmthahart..my itching got so bad that my dr told me to use Sarna cream to relieve it. I am starting to feel little prickly hairs trying to come through. Good luck on Tuesday!

Nanette and Missouri...good luck with all the decision making. When I was first diagnosed, someone told me that you will become educated with new science lessons and vocabulary  words that will be part of your life. Wow...that is so true!

Maddie...one more-you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I got thinking...all winter I have been wearing my beanie hats (I only wore my wig a couple of times).  Now I am thinking about my spring head wardrobe. I may try one of those baseball hats that cover the head more than a regular baseball hat.  What do you think??    https://www.headcovers.com/softie-baseball-cap/

Next chapter starts on Monday...radiation.

Be well all!

• Hazel-Nut
    Options

Good luck at radiation Flower!

I woke up this morning feeling like I was coming down with something and got to work to find that several people have tested positive for the flu over the weekend and now I'm paranoid. I'm thinking about the person who sat next to me in Fridays meeting coughing up a storm while insisting it was allergies who now has the flu (and is in the hospital!). I'm trying to separate what's a taxol side effect versus what's a common cold or flu symptom. The director of nursing has a box of rapid flu tests in her office, I might get one from her and test myself just to ease my paranoia lol. I was feeling so cocky going all winter not catching anything, I guess I was tempting fate.

• missouricatlady
    Options

Nanette - thank you for the smiles, love the jokes! It sure helps to read those, makes your head stop spinning!

Flower - I like the hat, great idea! My TLC catalog is full of scarves and pretty hats for spring, you've got the best idea! Hopefully, you will be able to show everyone your hair before long! Hope your radiation treatments are going well, thinking of you, hugs. Did you get a tattoo? I have heard if you have a lymph node involved, they tattoo it. I'd like to ask for a cat tattoo please, wonder if they'd do that?

Maddie - The chemo nurse here recommended Benadryl before bed on steroid nights, although you are almost to the point you don't need to worry about that now. I can relate to the "you're so brave" comment, especially when I sometimes cry in fear alone at home, I am not worthy of those comments. I am so not wanting to get a mastectomy, and have drains, and not be able to go to work, deep down I am a chicken. I suppose getting out of bed and facing the day takes a little bit of bravery though, maybe. I'm glad you are making some connections with your family, it is sure a self-realization about life journey (sorry, that could have been said better). My oncologist is asking me to get Herceptin and/or Perjeta until November, so even though the chemo drugs are done, I shall still sit in the chair once a month, this time it won't be for four hours though, thankfully. Sitting in the chair, looking at all those who have also been chosen to be there is such a humbling (and sad) situation.

Hazel - Hope you do not get the flu! We have people out here today that have the flu too. It is irritating that anyone would dare cough near you, folks should understand that is not a good thing whatsoever. Hoping you do not get sick.

A blood vessel popped in my eye and it is red now, although the doctor just told me to "keep an eye on it." Does that work as a joke? I've bought some tops that button up, I've read you can't lift your arms after you have had a mastectomy, just trying to get ready I guess, to relieve my mind. I get an ultrasound Thursday that should tell the surgeon what my choices are. Wish it were that easy to tell my mind. I won't see the surgeon til the end of the month, and may get to see the plastic surgeon too. I have to get the platelets up to 75,000 to have surgery. Everyone, eat healthy and keep drinking. Many hugs to you girls, we have a rainy week in Missouri, hoping the sun is shining on you, Lisa

• nanette7fl
    Options

Lisa I hope your eye heals soon. Don't forget to wear sunglasses outside to protect it.

Flowers are you doing ok??

The weather here in NE Florida has been nice except for today...cold front moved on down so it's down right chilly outside! Yesterday my neighbor went fishing and brought us 3 large catfish and some brim (sunnys) and I've had them on ice over night. I need to get out there and get them cleaned up for dinner.

Whatever I had seems to have passed and rather quickly too. Now I'm believing it was an SE of my Herceptin only medicine. I also have a nice case of acne or a rash all across my chest..surgeon noticed the very start of it last Monday.

I've also decided to have my temporary implants done after my mastectomy...getting rightie done too. I have to call my Nurse Navigator and the PS office and let them all know so surgery can get scheduled. Scared about surgery.... sigh

Hooe wherever you all are that you are warm and having a great day

• missouricatlady
    Options

Thank you, Nanette. I'm sorry to hear about your acne/rash and hope it goes away soon. Hope you get those fish ready for supper, sounds delicious.

I found this link today, in case anyone needs help understanding implants and flaps (like me). https://www.mskcc.org/blog/breast-reconstruction-d...

Hoping you are having a good day, and take care, Lisa

• nanette7fl
    Options

MissouriCat thank you for the link. I finally got to read it.VERY helpful and I'm now comfortable with my decision to do the temp implants after my mastectomy. I'm going to call my PS and tell them to schedule me.

• missouricatlady
    Options

Nanette, I am glad you found that article helpful, I did too. I found one more, hope you don't mind my sharing. https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics... About lumpectomy vs mastectomy versus BMX.

It may do me good not to read anything today, I had dreams about tissue expanders last night. My co-worker showed my photos of her friend that had a tissue expander on her face for skin cancer. My ultrasound will tell the story, I'm having it tomorrow, but will then have to wait for the doctor to let me know his thoughts. We did neoadjuvant chemotherapy and my ultrasound in December ordered by my oncologist told the story that I may benefit from a lumpectomy. When I saw the surgeon, he mentioned mastectomy (although this was not a scheduled visit and he was reading my file while I was there) and this took me a little off guard. I keep thinking of Tom Petty and his "the waiting is the hardest part" song. Think I will try and stay very busy at work today and not let my mind wander. I hope nobody else has this problem. I wish I weren't such a chicken. Good for you, Nanette, for making a decision and having peace of mind, I look up to you. Hugs everyone, Lisa
  • missouricatlady
    Options

Just found this: http://www.lifemath.net/cancer/breastcancer/outcom...

Breast Cancer Outcome Calculator. My oncologist used something similar when I asked him about recurrence at our last appointment. I was supposed to quit reading today. Have a great day!

• ACJ2468
    ACJ2468 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Greetings Everyone. I can’t tell you how wonderful it has been to go through and read all of the posts on this forum. I wish I had found you earlier, but am so happy to feel like I’m not alone now.

Not a great week here. Was down to 5 taxol treatments left, but oncologist wouldn’t let me have my treatment yesterday as my big toenails are both infected. Didn’t realize that in addition to the possibility of losing your nails on taxol, infections are quite common. Honestly I have been pretty good remaining positive throughout this journey (red devil nausea, acne, etc and taxol fatigue and neuropathy), but the disgusting awful toenails about did me in over the weekend. Never mind that treatment was cancelled. I know we are not supposed focus on our “end” date as it can change, but I have been totally counting down. To the point that my husband, daughter and I have tickets to board the auto train to Orlando that afternoon so that we can watch my son march in a Disney parade.

Oncologist said not to cancel the trip - we will try to work around it. One of the options is a double dose of Taxol on the day we leave, which I’m afraid would mean I spend the whole trip in the room. Oh well. Need to prioritize my health I know, but dang!

Enough whining. It is a glorious day in Northern VA. Acupuncture this afternoon which will hopefully alleviate some off the neuropathy. Even with this setback I am on the downslope, and life is good.

Have a great day

• missouricatlady
    Options

ACJ, welcome and it is nice to meet you! These ladies and the posts have helped me so much. I know several have been on Taxol and AC, is that the red devil? One of my co-workers had the red devil, I just have never connected that together. You are a warrior, all you red devil ladies are! I'm sorry you have had a treatment postponed, that has happened to me twice and it stinks. I am losing a toenail, I did happen to set something down on it before I started treatment and knew it would fall off, but the other large toenail is turning dusky and dark too, so it may go as well. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I hope you do go on your trip, that would be so much fun to take a train to Orlando and see your son in a Disney parade. When our son was in high school, they marched in the Rose Parade and it was so fun! Wishing you the best in your treatment, and on your trip, Lisa

• aglaja
    aglaja Member Posts: 4
    Options

I received the last dose of chemotherapy yesterday. I got 3 EC och 3 Taxotere. Reading posts on this forum has been a great help. Thank you all 🙂!

• missouricatlady
    Options

Aglaja - Congratulations on finishing chemotherapy! Wishing you well with whatever step is next on your journey. Many hugs!

Nanette - Thank you for the link, very informative! Please keep sharing any information, thank you! I have that book they mention, Flat. If not for my husband and my thoughts on our marriage, I would consider this, what courage it takes to do this.

I had my ultrasound yesterday and everything has shrunk, one has shrunk so much you can't see it anymore. I am hopeful my surgeon will call me to go over this, but also have an appointment to see him on March 27th. I hope he doesn't make me wait 2 weeks to let me know his thoughts. I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon on March 26th and would at least like to have some idea of where the road is going. I sat in the ultrasound room by myself a few minutes and thought about all these decisions and think, for just a moment, I found a little place of peace. I am trying to hang onto that moment. Today, at work, my co-workers are wearing their "Team Lisa" t-shirts. It is a humbling experience to have the support of friends I work with and will be an emotional day. Thank you for letting me talk to you. Happy St. Patrick's Day and keep up your fight, be strong! Hugs, Lisa