Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting November 2018

Options

Comments

• Jiffs
    Jiffs Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hey Hazel-nut, I had really bad headaches after my first round. Some said it was the zolfran, others said it was the C drip just going too fast. I had them slow it down on Monday and NO HEADACHE YET!!! maybe ask about that on your next round? I wanted to go back to the hospital and hug them with how good I felt after.

Hair has been falling out since Sunday. Haven't shaved it yet, but my pony tail is getting much smaller.

• bookworm14
    bookworm14 Member Posts: 80
    Options

JennieKeayon & RunningCats,

All three of us start on the 27th. Have you had ports put in? If so how are you feeling about them? And are you all geared up for the first treatment?

They placed the port on me yesterday, but had to go through the neck and I have to say this hurts..much more than expected. Maybe it is just because of the placement because the cut on the chest they tried to use doesn't hurt at all! I have my bag packed and my “chemo" box for all meds and stuff ready in the cabinet. Hoping for an easy, no problem infusion. Best wishes to you both

• Hazel-Nut
    Hazel-Nut Member Posts: 116
    Options

EdithMary - Your family is beautiful and I think you're rocking that turban.

Jiffs - They said the cytoxan could give me like a stuffy nose feeling and they'd slow it down if it did. I will mention it and see if it helps. I really don't want that super dizzy, lightheaded, lost in space feeling I get from the nausea meds. I makes it so I can't even function once I take them. The headaches are no picnic either so if slowing down the infusion helps then I'm down for that.

Bookworm - The little incision they made in my neck was the most painful area afterwards and even 2 weeks out I still get little twinges there. I'm sorry you had such a difficult placement but hopefully it heals quickly.

I went to the store last night and basically bought anything that I looked at that didn't turn my stomach when I thought of eating it. I now have a bizarre assortment of things sitting in my desk drawer at work but I have discovered that beef jerky works with my stomach and my brain. It isn't the most calorie dense thing in the world but it's better than nothing. I'm down 6 pounds and this dang dose dense schedule doesn't give me much time to rebound before I'm back at it again. 2 weeks ago I would have jumped for joy if I had lost 6lb, now I'm annoyed lol. I guess it's all about perspective huh?

• RunningCats
    RunningCats Member Posts: 22
    Options

Good Morning! I’m sorry to all of you having difficulties, hopeful your oncologists can get your righted around,

I have one last test today, MUGA for my heart. So happy I didn’t have to fast for this one. It’s getting old. My appetite seems to have improved a bit since I got the PET results back, I scarfed down a McDonald’s 1/4 meal yesterday after my bloodwork. I know it’s not the healthiest but my MO told me to eat whatever I can and want. They’re also trying to get ensure covered for me since my my BMI is borderline.

My treatment is the same as MissouriCatLady, TCHP, 6 sessions over 18 weeks.

Bookworm14, I had my port placed about 10 days ago. Not too much trouble other than seatbelt in the car and one of my pocket panthers (black cat, lol) not observing personal space and walking all over me. I’m stalling on getting ready. I took off work and now I’m starting to get bored. I know I’ll be glad once chemo starts. I’m tired already.

Those with pets, do they sleep with you and if so, are you letting them while in chemo? I’m really unsure about it. It’s a comfort to be woken up by them (not really :) ). I tried to shut them out the other night and someone figured out how to open the bedroom door! They want to be with me. I’m afraid of the chemo being sweated out and being toxic and also any germs they may have. Probably answered my own question, but would like others input. I’m single and live alone so know the precautions with gloves and mask when emptying the litter boxes. I have a dog walker that can help in my complex when i’m not up to it. She was a huge help when I had back surgery this past January.

Happy Thanksgiving all

• missouricatlady
    missouricatlady Member Posts: 894
    Options

RunningCats, I am the crazy cat lady, so others may have a different opinion. I have one kitty who lives in my bedroom. She was my first kitty and decided that she had enough of the other cats and wanted to live in private. She didn't bother my port, even though she sleeps on my bed with me at night. My coworker, whose sister had cancer, suggested I wash my sheets the night before getting the port so the bed would be nice and clean, but I left our kitty cat to roam in our bedroom without any problems. The only type of any chemo instructions I have received so far are to flush my toilet twice (nurse told me that). Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about exposing the pets to it. They are such a comfort to me when I feel sick, they know.

and Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm working and just stopping in, someone mentioned eating whatever and whenever, and boy, can I relate to that! May we all enjoy the company of our loved ones and friends. Lisa

• Hazel-Nut
    Options

RunningCats - my cat rules the roost in my house, I don't think I'd want to live there if I tried to ban her from the bedroom. She usually just perches at the end of the bed on my side but has taken to curling up against my back since all of this has started. I think the elevated stress levels are making her anxious. They didn't mention anything about keeping her away but I also didn't try very hard to ask.

• Susan05
    Susan05 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Well first infusion of A/C is in the books. It wasn't so bad, I brought snacks (which I think my husband ate more of then I did :) and they also had snacks there. I had no reactions to any of the meds except multiple trips to the restroom from all the flushes I guess. I sure am glad that the nurse told me that the red med going in comes out the same colorHappy

The nurse also told me the steroids would wire me up and I might find myself cleaning my house at 2am. I told her fat chance of that lol but maybe a movie marathon. She told me to take benadryl to help counteract. I went to bed around midnight and took my benadryl and didn't get up until after 10:00 am when my husband called me to see how I was doing. So far so good but I have the Neulasta patch that will start injecting around 3:00pm today. They put it on my stomach and I can see the green light flashing through my shirt. I told my husband that I feel like one of the Avengers lol

• Jiffs
    Options

I definitely let my kitties come snuggle me. We need it and they know it. They just said wear a mask and gloves if you gotta do the litter, to protect yourself.

Hazel, they told me about the stuffy nose too. I didn't feel that, just the intense headache later. They bumped up the time by half an hour. Maybe that's not what did it. But maybe it is. So I know is I felt perfectly normal after my second round. Today I'm starting to tip that scale to feel tired again.

Susan - I learned the hard way... Don't decide to clean the whole house while you're up on steroids... The crash will really suck after lol

• missouricatlady
    Options

Welcome, Flower 216. It is nice to meet you and we are happy to have you in our little group.

It's nice to see others with kitties (and doggies too).

Susan - congrats to you. Glad everything went well and you had a nice night's rest. I had the Neulasta shot and am hopeful next week, #2, I get the Neulasta patch, so I don't have to drive over there. Did they talk to you about taking Claritin to run off the bone aches? You'll have to let me know what you think of the patch. I was wondering if you AC ladies had to deal with Neulasta. Everyone is different (haven't we heard that many times and sometimes, I'm glad for that).

• Jiffs
    Options

I don't get neulasta, I get neupogen. It's 8 smaller shots instead of 1. Sucks having to give myself a needle every day, but I felt really no pain until my last shot last round, and it only lasted a day and a half. We'll see how this round goes for the shots, I start again today

• RunningCats
    Options

Crazy Cat Ladies unite! Thanks everyone, I know I’ll be much happier with them in bed. The youngest likes tto wake me with “kisses”. imageimage

• RunningCats
    Options

The single kitty is Sabrina. The two together are my boys, Tristan and Sebastian. And, yes, I do have trouble telling them apart at times.:

• missouricatlady
    Options

imageuh oh, kitty alert! They are so beautiful!!! I love black kitties! What are their names, please? We have one black cat that showed up at my husband's employment and happily lives with us now. His name is Stormy, but we call him Normy. Thank you for sharing, their names are so pretty!

JIffs, I was wondering about the difference with neulasta and neupogen, thank you. I'm sorry you have to have 8 shots, ugh! I guess they probably didn't use to have these years ago, so I will try and not complain. My mom died of colon cancer in the 80s and things have changed a lot. Lisa

• RunningCats
    Options

Stormy Normy is gorgeous! My dream is to have a black cat rescue.

• missouricatlady
    Options

Thank you. He is the thinnest kitty I have and loves to climb! We could use a black cat rescue, Running Cats. I don't know if everyone knows black pets are the least likely to be adopted because some folks are superstitious. Black pets make the best pets, that much I know for sure! So grateful you have three!

• Jiffs
    Options

Here are my fur babies!

• missouricatlady
    Options

oh my goodness, I love the photos, love love love! Thank you. Making me smile today :) just so sweet!!!!!

• RunningCats
    Options

my people, lol. Beautiful babies !image

• Hazel-Nut
    Options

I can't pass up a chance to show off my floofy baby. This is my Hazel or Hazel-nut when she's acting crazy (hence my screen name). She lays on her back all the time and will attack you if you try and rub her tummy. She also causes huge fur snarls on her back by lying like that and then has the nerve to act mean when I comb her. I love her so much.

• missouricatlady
    Options

oh my gosh!!!!! what a wonderful day you've made this - thank you for all these kitty photos. I used to have a cat that did this a long time ago, God rest her soul under my backyard tree. Just plain paw-dorable!!!!! And that sign - that says it all!!!

I so appreciate this today, thank you!

• Hazel-Nut
    Options

One more because I just love her chubby pink belly.

• missouricatlady
    Options

oh my gosh, you have to kiss that!!! Look at that face! Maybe you could substitute nose kisses.

• RunningCats
    Options

We need a like button. 💕 all the fur baby pictures.

• Susan05
    Susan05 Member Posts: 11
    Options

MissouriCatLady I liked not having to go back to get the Neulasta shot so I'll go for it again. They put it on before I left and it starts dispensing 27 hours after so you're wearing it for a while. They don't put it on the back of your arm like in the commercials because they said it would be too easy to knock off there. They put it on my stomach. It's sub-q so it doesn't really matter exactly where it goes I think . They didn't say anything about Claritin. Is it the over the counter version? If so I'll grab some just in case.

I love all the kitty pictures! I have 3 rescues here and they are all loves. I have a cat paw tattoo on my wrist in memory of my black kitty. He was with me most of my adult life, he moved all over California with me and when I met my husband he moved to Hawaii then Illinois with us. He was a traveling' kitty :)

• Jiffs
    Options

The hair is gone now. I cried a little bit, but it's all good now. Just the next step in our journey!

• RunningCats
    Options

You’re beautiful Jiffs

• LizzieBo
    LizzieBo Member Posts: 26
    Options

imageimage So if we are going to cat brag I have to get in here. These are my two lovelies. Pepper has been my napping companion. Gracie prefers to keep a little distance - except at meal time. Plus she’s in love with my son.

I am waiting for the hair drop. Should be any day now. Like the rest of this process I am both dreading it and wish it was done already. I’m also trying to prepare my kids so they don’t freak out. I’ve made several hats - both knit and sewn. Plus my husband went with me to pick out a wig. I never thought I would be a wig person but ... I think I want that option.

• Jiffs
    Options

I thought I was ready for the hair to fall out, but I didn't feel so confident when it really happened! I got sick of the shedding today, and it was coming out by the handful. We're going out of town tmrw and didn't want to be dealing with it anymore, so off it went! Happy I don't have a weird shaped head lol

• MaddieBrie1
    MaddieBrie1 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Miss my kitties, one walked over the Rainbow Bridge in 2002 at 13 yrs old, another in 2017 at @20 yrs old. My husbands' plott hound in 2014 at 8 yrs old (she was an infrequent visitor, custody battle w his ex, but got along so well with Maddie). Our mastiff (Maddie) on Thanksgiving morning at around 7 yrs old. *sniff* All rescues. Our current hound mix has been a steadfast companion and snuggle buddy and 75lb lap dog and bolster pillow while sleeping at my side since August. She's normally pretty affectionate in the morning when she first wakes up then pretty aloof until she gets fed again. Her behaviour has definitely changed since August.... We're just both thankful to have her exist with us. When all else seems like it's falling apart, she will do something goofy and make us smile.

Thankful for everything in my life today. It is an amazing thing how we even get out of the womb.

• MaddieBrie1
    MaddieBrie1 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Brielle, looking out the window waiting the mailman to bark at.... She is a little camera shy and doesn't really like her picture taken. Loves nature valley blueberry breakfast biscuits - that package rustle is different than ANY other plastic bag sound, it jerks her out of a sound snoring sleep and she is instantly alert, at your leg (drooling) and gives you puppy dog brown eyes. We call her freckle foot.