Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo Brain

Options
2»

Comments

• thisiknow
    thisiknow Member Posts: 88
    edited December 2019
    Options

aterry ...you are too funny! I share your hate for exercise. Ha! In fact, a couple of years ago my sister asked how things were going with my new treadmill and I told her it was great for storage (you wouldn't believe how many boxes you can get on it). I used to crochet. I don't remember finding it very stressful. lol

(I walk sorta fast on my treadmill every day now for 20 minutes. Doc wants 30. I say 20 or nothing. :)

• aterry
    aterry Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi Nanette, As others have said I don't want to scare you too much. I'm grateful that my treatment was successful--overall.

Of the things on the list you posted the ones I have most trouble with are: Paying attention and concentrating; multitasking; organizing thoughts (organization in general!) For the other items it's hard to say whether my deficits are from chemo or being 70. The hardest for me is anything with multiple options. I need to readjust some things in my retirement account and when I read through the different plans my brain goes numb. But even small things with options--my daughter-in-law asked for a rice cooker for Xmas. I went to Bed,Bath & Beyond and there were so many models I had to exit the site immediately--reading the features & the specifications and the model #s did me in.

1. Breaking things down into smaller pieces helps a little. If I'm booking a flight I'll go to a booking site and just spend 5 minutes looking at how to navigate the site--then I exit. Later I'll open the site again and, maybe look at one option, take notes--then I exit. Later I'll open the site and look at one more option, take notes--then I exit; and so on. It can take me a LONG time to book a flight or do most things with options.

2. I've noticed that the chemo damage is worse when I'm hungry or tired.

3. When I feel the brain numbness coming on I stop what I'm doing and switch to something physical or tactile--like folding laundry. At least I can still remember where to put the laundry!

• aterry
    edited December 2019
    Options

thisiknow, I agree that 20 is enough. That's about what I do though I do the exercise slowly--I don't do anything fast, really. I found crocheting relaxing pre-treatment. I'm determined to get to that point again.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2019
    Options

hello I went into early menopause during chemo and had Chemo Brain just thought getting older didn't know yrs ago it was due to treatment. msphil idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before and after Lmast then got married was planning when found lump then 7wks rads 5 yrs on Tamoxifen.

• godisone
    godisone Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2019
    Options

I was disillusioned with the concept of chemo brain and chemo fog until i read this article https://www.voiceofcancerpatients.com/articles/cognitive-deficit-in-breast-cancer-patients. It had patient perception and the data with actual figures that how is it affecting us and how real it is. I wish someone can send me link to an article about how to deal with it.

• aterry
    edited December 2019
    Options

This joke from "The Onion" made me laugh out loud:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B59N32dgC-x/?utm_sourc...

• aterry
    edited December 2019
    Options

godisone , The strategies that are listed in the article you linked to are the ones that come up over and over. Here is a pod cast from the front page of this very site: https://www.breastcancer.org/community/podcasts/chemobrain-20191122 All articles say the same thing: exercise; eat right; get rest; do stimulating activities. Basically researchers/doctors don't know how to help with chemo brain damage, they're just throwing spaghetti at the wall because they'd like to help but don't know how to.

Where do you live? Sloan Kettering in NYC has a couple of clinical studies in progress. I didn't qualify for either of them. I think Huntsman in Salt Lake City has one.

A neuro-psych recommended several mind games on the web site Lumosity: Tidal Treasures, Lost in Migration, Ebb & Flo, Speed Match Overdrive, Playing Koi. I did these games for about 6 months--though I could only tolerate short sessions. They didn't help me but they might help others.

Have you read through this thread? There are some strategies posted by others--maybe you'l find those helpful.

• aterry
    edited December 2019
    Options

And here is another discussion about chemo brain damage. This one from MDAnderson: https://www.mdanderson.org/publications/cancerwise/cancer-treatment-side-effect-chemobrain.h00-159143667.html

• jackster51
    jackster51 Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2019
    Options

Is there any successful treatment? I don't see a point in getting tested to be told to exercise more :-) I am really suffering 7 years post TC. I'm so behind in life as I can only seem to accomplish 1 thing per day. Like if I work that day, that's all I can do. Where as I used to be able to crank out 3, 4 or 5 major different tasks, including a full work day, in one day, as many as time would allow. Now it's One and Done. It's all I can concentrate on. My To Do list never shortens :-( Only grows. ANd forget reading, studying or retaining information. So challenging, and embarrassing at times. I've been taking Lions Mane with no noticeable improvement. Any other suggestions?

• Di356
    Di356 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi, I am going on 2 years since I last had chemo. I feel like my brain is fried. I try to write everything down. I did a video chat with my doctor 2 weeks ago..today I can't remember how I did it. My words come out all over the place. I feel so stupid at times. It's not fun. My boyfriend looks at me like I have 2 heads. For me..it's not funny anymore. I use to laugh at myself but don't anymore😥. I'd go back to work part-time but I'm a cashier & afraid of the corona virus. It's been pure hell after all my treatments. They started may of 2018.. chemo ended in August 2018..radiation in Nov 2018.

I'm sorry I'm not that positive anymore. I use to be called "Sunshine" before cancer..now I call myself " doom & gloom".

Again..it's been a struggle.

Diane😥