Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Keto

Options

Comments

• kanga_roo
    kanga_roo Member Posts: 302
    Options

Worth a read:

100% survival with chemo + Keto after 30 months compared to 60% survival with just chemo

This research relates to patients who were deemed to need chemotherapy before breast cancer surgery. Half got chemo alone and the other half got chemo plus 12 weeks on a calorie restricted, MCT based ketogenic diet. They all went to surgery and were followed up post-op for about 30 months.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2019/09/ketones-in-tehran.html

• qualityketodiet
    qualityketodiet Member Posts: 1
    Options

Remember in March the World Health Organization announced that glyphosate is a PROBABLE CARCINOGEN? We all eat it every day! It's in 80% of conventional (non-organic) food! It's heavily sprayed on cane sugar and wheat! Hello? We don't know what causes breast cancer? Come on! Start demanding ORGANIC food from your health food store (which generally only sells 50% organic food). Start demanding restaurants switch to ORGANIC food, which must include organic cooking oils, grains, the whole thing. We deserve to stop eating poisoned food. No one wants cancer, but breast cancer has become an epidemic corresponding to the uncontrolled use of glyphosate (main ingredient in Roundup pesticide).

Don't take supplements, eat stuff that won't kill you, and run. run a lot. Join a track or cross country team. Lift weights and use best exercise machine to lose weight at home. If anyone tell you to not eat carbohydrates, ignore them. Not eating carbohydrates is dangerous for humans

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    Options

Hi, Just finished the 2-week keto challenge by the diet doctors and I'm going to sign up for the 5-week plan. I like it because it helps you plan your meals. I am cooking too much, but the recipes are delicious. Everything you make for dinner then becomes lunch. I have lost close to 10LBS. Most probably fluid. I have had to drink a cup of bouillon every day to hold off the keto flu. My lymphedema has improved greatly and I just feel better. Good luck to all!! Thank you for all the information as I start this journey.

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    Options

Hi.

I’ve been on a ketogenic diet for over a year now. I think my diet (less than 20g of net carbs, less than 80g protein, and 109g of fat), intermittent fasting, and fasting before infusions, greatly helped me through chemo. Side effects were minimal (no vomiting or nausea throughout AC-T) and it think it helped with the effectiveness of treatment. Lymph nodes in my Supraclavicular area started to shrink after starting the keto diet. AC alone did not shrink those stubborn lymph nodes and Taxol wasn’t working either. So in desperation, I started a strict keto diet and within a week, the supraclavicular lymph nodes started shrinking and by the time of surgery, the CT scan showed NED of the supraclavicular nodes. So, I am a believer that the keto diet with chemo can be effective against aggressive cancer. That being said, prior to cancer dx, I was pretty healthy - no diabetes or weight issues. I would check with your doctor before starting keto during active treatment

• kanga_roo
    Options

Flashlight, a great start to your keto diet!
    NorCalS, brilliant results!

I am still keto, and feeling really good on it... I did binge out at a birthday party recently, and felt terrible for 3 days, sugar and carb really knock the system around!

With Xmas on the horizon I’m hoping people might post a few recipes,

Best wishes to all!

Jackie

• norcals
    Options

For keto friendly baking, I have been using monkfruit sweetener instead of sugar. It has worked really well, with molten chocolate cake and cheesecake recipes. I replace sugar with monkfruit (I blitz it first in blender or coffee grinder to get it super fine) and flour I replace with almond flour. It lowers total carbs and if you portion control, it’s a nice treat during the holidays.

• kanga_roo
    Options

I’ll be trying that NorCalS

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

I went on a diet that really was the Medifast diet food. Low carb and you eat their bars, shakes, mash potatoes, pasta, etc along with TONS of water every day. I lost 35lbs in just over 3 months and my lymphedema disappeared. I've slowly gained back about 20lbs and am struggling with some swelling again. I heard this diet was somewhat like keto. The first few days you develop a headache, but it passes. Is Keto ok for staying in remission? I hear it is a lot of meat.

• kanga_roo
    Options

Hi HomeMom,

I got my bloods results from my GP today, cholesterol, sugars, sodium, red/white cell count all within normal range. I started keto early in 2018, am still on it and my cancer is stable... no progression.

Mash potatoes and pasta are two of the worst things you can eat on keto... high in carb and likely to give you sugar spikes, making you feel hungry and lethargic. Keto is high in fat rather than meat (protein) so you can eat cheese, butter, cream etc. I also eat nuts for nibbles and pork chips instead of potato chips. Once you get used to it, is really easy to maintain. All the best with your endeavours

• homemom
    Options

Thanks Kanga for the response. I'll look into it, add it to the list of things to discuss with my MO next week.

• norcals
    Options

Hi Homemom.

I’ve been on keto for over a year and I try to get my fat from healthy oils (olive oil, sesame oil, MCT oil, etc), nuts, fish, flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp hearts, olives, etc. Once you get used to it, it’s not that difficult to maintain. I also use an app. to track the amount of carbs, fat, and protein that I consume each day.

• homemom
    Options

Thank you NorCalS - What app do you use? I forgot to ask my MO about the keto thing Loopy

• norcals
    Options

Hi Homemom.

I use the carbmanager app. It’s free, but you can also pay for upgraded service, i.e., scanning food labels to automatically input macros. It has been very helpful for me in tracking my carb, protein, and fat numbers

• homemom
    Options

Thankyou you NorCalS!

• Aseye
    Aseye Member Posts: 21
    Options

Kanga_Roo I am very impressed with the positive results using keto to shrink your cancer. I will start and hope to win my battle.

• Actionaunty
    Actionaunty Member Posts: 15
    Options

Kanga Roo - thank you for link to Keto information.

I am happy with most of it but am not sure regarding cereals.  Besides no pasta and presumably bread, pastry, biscuits and cakes, I  have porridge every morning with ginger which stops the nausea  from the Palbo.   Do I have to find an alternative to that as well?     

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    Options

I agree, Actionaunty,

I have been so relieved to see wonderful results in my health and my labs since starting on the keto diet. I have started watching keto cooking shows. There are keto-friendly porridge options. I haven't tried these yet but they do look good!

https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/keto-oa...

And this one.. https://minimalistketo.com/keto-porridge-delicious...

I am so sorry about the nausea from Palbo. I imagine that ginger can certainly be added to these recipes as well.

Love,

Esther

• Actionaunty
    Options

Many thanks Esther.  I will have a look and see what is suggested.  Bxx

• Actionaunty
    Options

Hi Esther,  I will try the keto porridge but without the sweetener and vanilla.   My oat porridge is usually simply made, just water not milk, with a spoon of ginger preserve added.  I will let you know how it works.   Bxx 

• kanga_roo
    Options

Hi Actionaunty,

I don’t think keto and you will get on very well. Pasta, bread, pastry, biscuits, cakes and porridge are all high in carbohydrates. Carb = sugar, and this is what keto tries to eliminate.

It’s not for everyone, but has been a life changer for me. I have found many alternatives to carb high foods I used to crave and don’t miss them any more. I love exploring new recipes, and keep a good range of treats in the fridge. Chaffles are one of my favourites. Here’s some of the recipes I use

• Actionaunty
    Options

Thank you Kanga.    

It seems to me that there is little fibre in the keto diet and I really need fibre to keep me regular.  Your chaffles look tasty with lots of eggs.  As I am on 2000mg of calcium per day it is very constipating.  I take 600mg of magnesium together with boron to balance the absorbtion to strengthen my bones which is very necessary.   My husband is diabetic so we have no cakes or chocolate in the house and just a few biscuits to take with medication.  His kidneys are failing so he is on a low protein diet and we eat different things and rarely eat together - it is not easy!!!

Thank you for all your advice, I think I am better to concentrate on portion control rather than a specific diet.

Wishing you well and safe.      Beverlyxx

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148
    Options

@kanga_roo, are you still on keto? How is it going

• kanga_roo
    Options

sorry for the late reply… yes, I am heading into my 6th year of stage4 BC and still on my keto/low carb. Just had my scans done, all good, cancer markers stable, sugar and cholesterol levels ok.

• savaloko
    savaloko Member Posts: 30
    Options

Good afternoon . Do you eat avocado? It is not dangerous for hormonal cancer?​ What is your cholesterol on the keto diet?

• kanga_roo
    Options

hi ya savoloko,

Yes, I eat a small avocado for lunch most days. Have done for nearly 6 years.

My latest bloods results were ca15-3 21

Glucose fasting 6

Cholesterol 4 = HDL 1, LDL 1.6

My white cell count was a bit low so I’m taking an extra week of my kisqali, which my Onc approves of.

Overall I feel pretty good… lethargy is the worst at times but I can live with that👍

Cheers,

Jackie.

• savaloko
    savaloko Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks for the answer. Could you tell us what foods you eat?I want to get my mom to go on a keto diet. She eats only carbohydrates. Porridge, bread, fruits. Eats little fish.

Tell us more about your weekly menu. Please.

Have you had breast surgery?

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    Options

Hi, haven't been on in some time. So happy to hear Jackie that you are doing well.

From this site I learned about DietDoctors.com and they have diet menus/recipes that you can follow. It is always a good idea to check in with your doctor about your labs. Does your Mom have breast cancer ? My oncologist does check all my labs except for cholesterol for that I see my PCP.

• kanga_roo
    Options

Keto: there is so much info and recipes out there to explore, it’s a matter of deciding what you like to eat. I like Chaffles for breakfast, and make a heap and freeze them.. there are so many ways you can make them and they can do as a bread replacement too (recipes somewhere back in this thread)

I have replaced flour with almond flour and potatoes with cauliflower, stevia sweetener instead of sugar etc
    After a while on Keto your appetite diminishes, but for nibbles I like walnuts, mushrooms, celery, boiled eggs, cheese etc.

Getting used to the notion that fat makes up a large part of this diet scares a lot of people off, but I use butter, oils and creams lavishly on my food.

Cheers,

Jackie.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Hi Savaloko,

Unless you are completely responsible for prepping meals for your mom, I would temper your hopes. Diet is one of the most personal and challenging things out there, and even for people who are genuinely motivated to make particular changes it can be very difficult.

Maybe a better angle to try would be to encourage her to increase the amount of protein in her diet. Almost all women could use more protein than we currently get.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

I'm a big fan of keto both for feeling good and weight control. While my endocrinologist is in favor of anything to prevent weight gain she has limited me to one month of keto followed by three months of at least 100 g of carbs a day to prevent further thyroid damage (I had a bad TSH test after 6 weeks of keto.) I make sure my carbs are whole grains, vegetables and fruit but I actually look forward to my keto month since I feel healthier and sleep better.

I have to watch iron levels for anemia and calcium for osteoporosis; dietary sources are better than the pills which cause constipation. Red meat/spinach on keto (and off) helps but it is hard to get enough calcium from almonds/almond milk; Greek yogurt and calcium fortified grains work better. I'm permanently on low dose steroids so it's great to get the super sugar control from keto. BC turns life into a constant balancing act.

Currently I can only enjoy a meal with others outside (lung issues) but previously I discovered that planning in advance to order a salad, steak or other grilled meat/fish was a safe way to dine out. I would bring my own food to friends' houses for dinner; they weren't insulted since it was for medical reasons. Now that my opportunities to eat with anyone other than my husband have been limited I realize that 90% of the fun of dining out is the social aspect and change of scenery rather than the food.

Keto may not be for everyone (I like to cook, can adjust ingredients in recipes and will eat just about anything) but it has many positives. I can't do it full time but am glad to get some benefit from it.