Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2019

Options
12346»

Comments

• summersday
    summersday Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi lovely, fierce ladies!

I had my 4th treatment today and my first Taxotere. I was worried sick about this one because of the risk of an allergic reaction. Well, no allergic reaction so that's one hurdle jumped over! I am also very scared of having diarrhea, as silly as that sounds. I can't remember the last time I had that kind of botty problem and I'm so anxious about it. I do have some tablets on hand just in case and am just hoping beyond hope that this won't be one of my side effects. I do feel like I've dodged so many bullets that my luck is bound to run out some time. My next ultrasound is booked for Friday 13th! Aaaaaaargh!

My bood counts were lower but not that much lower than last time. Again the chemo nurse was unconcerned and this time round I felt ok about it because for the last two weeks, I've felt pretty much normal. I even went on a 5k walk with my daughter yesterday! It's a river/woodland/hilly walk but it didn't feel any more of a challenge than before. Not sure how that can be but I'm putting it down to the protein shakes that I'm guzzling twice a day!

Saw my oncologist last week and he was really pleased with my progress and even smiled and shook my hand at the end of the consultation. When he did the exam he said that he could barely feel anything now. I don't think he could feel the lump from the beginning any way but the slight thickening of the left hand side has gone - I checked it myself!

DogMomRunner - I am a firm believer than food can really help us support our bodies as they slowly get torn apart by the chemo drugs. Our bodies need a good supply of protein in order to make white blood cells and to give us energy. If we don't eat enough, out bodies will end up taking the protein out of our muscles and we certainly don't want that! Many oncology websites emphasise eating a good amount of protein and upping it if you're on chemo. I guess it would be important to also exercise when upping the protein or you'd risk ending up enormous as excess protein is stored as fat. You're a runner so I think you'd probably know this already! I did a Nutritional Therapy Diploma many years ago and my cancer diagnosis has really rekindled my interest in how food can help us to heal.

AlexandraS - I hope you're staying strong. Thinking of you............

SIMSAgreen - I hope you're ok too. I guess you've probably moved on from this thread now and lucky you to have finished chemo! Thinking of you too...................

Saw my oncologist last week and he was really pleased with my progress and even smiled and shook my hand at the end of the consultation. When he did the exam he said that he could barely feel anything now. I don't think he could feel the lump from the beginning any way but the slight thickening of the left hand side has gone - I checked it myself!

Well, I'm off to fold some washing as I'm riding the steriod high. Wish me luck for the next 3 weeks, ladies. I've a feeling I'm going to need it......................

• AlexandraS
    AlexandraS Member Posts: 7
    Options

Bravo, summersday, that you are moving along. I start radiation next week. Good luck to you.

Can you tell me about your protein shakes

• summersday
    Options

Hi AlexandraS - good to hear from you! And great to hear that you've finished with the chemo - bravo to you too!

I use a simple whey protien power called Diet Whey Isolate 95 by a European company called The Protein Works - I'm sure they'll have something similar in the US. I try to have it in a tall glass of semi-skimmed milk at least once a day if not twice. You'll want to find one that is a complete protein, low in sugar, low in calorie and has a flavour that you like! I like Vanilla Cream! The lower the list of ingredients the better. And no other vitamins and minerals added. Of course, I'm not a nuritionist by trade and I'm certainly not a medical professional but I think adding extra protein to your diet is really important when going through chemo and indeed radiotherapy. You can always eat foods rich in protein (which I do anyway) but a low calorie protien powder will be of more help if you are struggling to eat. Check with your MO and make sure he/she is happy with it though. In the UK, doctors are really skeptical about how vitamins, minerals, proteins etc. can help us be strong and I completely understand that some of these things can interfere with the effectiveness of the chemo drugs, something none of us want. But I'm pretty sure that whey protein does not interfere with the chemo and it may be very helpful with the radiotherapy as the body needs protein to fight infection and to heal tissue.

You should be able to work out how much you need from your body weight. Just don't go over the recommended amount - excess protein is stored as fat!

Good luck with the radiotherapy......................and your protein shakes!

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

summersday - I also believe in food as something that can heal as well as hairm. I am glad that things are going well for you. And good for you with the 5k walk!

AlexandraS - I start radiation in September also. I'm already collecting lotions and non underwire bras.good luck with the radiation therapy

• summersday
    Options

I'm not sure there's anyone left on this thread now but in case there is, I just wanted to share more good news that my tumour is now 9.5mm! The first round of docetaxel was pretty rough. So many more side effects than FEC including diarrhea (managed it with Imodium and low fibre diet), a burnt tongue, a strange itchy rash that popped up as soon as I came of the steroid treatment (wasn't that bad and just put antihistamine cream on it when I needed to and it went within week or so) and gum/jaw ache. The last one was so random the oncologist just looked puzzled when I told him. I even went to the dentist to make sure my impacted wisdom tooth hadn't become infected but he couldn't find a reason for the pain. It went away eventually like all the other side effects!

Had my penultimate dose today. My blood count had bounced back to pretty much where it was before the last round and I was really pleased with that! It made me so happy! Again, no problem with the infusion and now I'm preparing for a sleepless night thanks to the boatload of steroids they gave me.

My mother in law cooked me some steak tonight and I'd eaten most of it before I realised it was slightly pink. I'm hoping that as the meat was good quality from our local butcher that I have nothing to worry about. Won't make that mistake again!

I know now that most of you lovely ladies have moved on to your next stage of treatment and I hope you're doing well - I think of you all lots and I am looking forward to the time I can join you in moving on too. We don't have a cancer bell in our treatment centre (I don't think it's a thing here in the UK) so when the time comes I thought I might run around shouting 'ding-a-ling-a-ling'!

5 down, 1 to go!

• AlexandraS
    Options

Great news, summersday. Congratulations. I am in radiation now, finishing this coming Monday. You are so good at getting a handle on your side effects. I feel quite proud of you. Keep plugging away. We are in this for life

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Woo Hoo summersday! That's good news about the tumor. And just one more to go. What's the next thing for you or are you done after this last one?

I still look for updates on the June people, there seemed to be only a few of us. I hope everyone is doing well.

• ByUmom2
    ByUmom2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Congratulations summersday!! That is incredible news! Hope you continue to do well and everyone else too!!
  • Mumoftwo416
    Mumoftwo416 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Congratulations summersday. That is fantastic!

I'm still plugging away with me chemo. I have two Taxol left to go. Overall, the Taxol has been so much easier to tolerate. The AC put me in a really bad place.

All the best to everyone still checking in!

• summersday
    Options

Hi ladies!

Well I'm done with chemo! YAAAAAAY! Last one was Friday and PICC line came out on the very same day. To say I am relieved is an understatement. I was fully expecting my blood count to have dropped lower, following the trend but it was higher than it has been in 3 rounds! I made a conscious effort to eat more red meat over the last 3 weeks (have it normally once a month) and I'm convinced that's what did it. Along with my cheeky protein shakes, of course...

My lumpectomy and axillary clearance is scheduled for 19th November and radiotherapy starts 6 weeks after that provided a) the surgeon got clear margins and b) if I can get my arm over my head which I understand might be easier said than done! Lots of special exercises, methinks........

Hope you're all doing ok wherever you are on your journey.

xx

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Congratulations summersday! I hope that the surgery comes back with clean margins and you can start the final part of your treatment. Woo hoo! It looks like all of us June people are done with chemo!

• AlexandraS
    Options

summersday! Such good news. You are doing so well. Congratulations.