Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Menstruations and chemo

Options
Ire
Ire Member Posts: 3

Could regular menstruating during a chemo regimen indicate a hormonal problem?

Comments

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi Ire!

No, getting your period during chemo doesn't indicate a hormonal problem. It just means that chemo has not had an impact on the functioning of your ovaries. I got my period monthly while I was doing Adriamycin + Cytoxin. My period only stopped after I'd been on Taxol for a couple of weeks.

• Ire
    Ire Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks a lot Elaine. Me too have completed 4 cycles of AC but all I hear are women going into menopause due to chemo or during it and I worried about me mensturating.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    edited October 2019
    Options

I was same as Elaine- my period had the audacity to show up twice during A/C. The nerve. Now on week three of taxol -i'm pretty sure my ovaries have finally gotten the hint. :-) Don't worry.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited October 2019
    Options

hello I was 42 at diagnosis and having regular periods but after couple chemo treatment it stopped I went into early menopause after treatment completed it came now and then then finally stopped all together. Hope that helps that was one of a Positive came out of this for me. msphil idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3mo chemo before and after surgery Lmast with reconstruction body rejected implant expander removed got married was planning our 2nd marriages at diagnosis then 7wks rads and 5yrs on Tamoxifen

• sarah_78
    sarah_78 Member Posts: 119
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi everyone,

I had my last chemo (TCHP) on first week of January, the same day I also got an Enantone (Leuprorelin) monthly injection to stop the period and protect the ovaries during chemotherapy. No period back yet now, as of Mid March and since start of March I have lots of PMS, back ache (which radiates from ovaries), bloating, muscle ache on legs etc.

Any experiences how long this will take? Should I get my hormones checked? I am freaking out a little today, might be PMS or my usual cancer related mood swing *sigh*