Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation February 2020

Options

Comments

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

Rhodygirl, Are you done? I hope so, or very close!!

• AZNative2020
    AZNative2020 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

RhodyGirl, how are you doing?

Yesterday was #23 of 30 for me. Was supposed to get "mapped" for my boost yesterday, but the imaging machine was down. Saw RO and she couldn't believe how good my skin looks. I am pretty amazed how well I am holding up. My clavicle area is a bit red, so i asked her about a cream and she said, "You'll sail through the next two treatments and you'll be fine." She said that the radiation combined with previous sun damage contributes to my overall redness in my upper chest area. We celebrated St. Patrick's Day last night with my family. Corned Beef and cabbage and I did have a couple green libations. (I had cut out alcohol since starting radiation) I am on the countdown now. 7 to go! Hope everyone else is doing well.

• rhodygirl55
    rhodygirl55 Member Posts: 30
    Options

hi there,

I'm checking in after finishing up last Friday, my celebration was dampened by the loss of my sweet mother in law on Thursday. Certainly not the best stretch of time here.

But, I'm on the mend and am looking forward to staying healthy and getting active again.

My skin did continue to get redder in a few areas for two days after finishing up- under my armpit, my scar and along the bra band area. But that seems to have stopped, still using the Silvadene on those areas.

The rest of the skin is now turning to a tan and I was told to continue with either Aquaphor or the Aveeno.

I'm still exhausted and trying to sleep a lot each night. But I would imagine that the loss of my MIL, radiation and the stress of essentially having everything shut down around us are all contributing.

Hope everyone is staying healthy. Here in RI schools are closed, many businesses and all restaurants and bars are also closed. Everyone is strongly encouraged to stay home and no gathering of more than 25 people.

Crazy times...

• Rosie24
    Options

Rhody, glad to hear you’re on the healing side now, but sorry for your loss of your mother in law. You’re right, you’ve been through a lot recently, and who knows how long this shutdown and staying home will last.

Tomorrow was supposed to be my last day but my treatment today was cancelled due to a machine being down, so now I finish on Thursday. I’m quite red on my clavicle and underarm, other parts not too bad.

Hang in there, for those still having treatments!

• AZNative2020
    Options

Good morning, I wrote a note yesterday and thought I hit submit, but it's not here. Blame it on radiation brain.

RhodyGirl, so happy to hear you are finished, but so saddened to hear of your Mother in Law's passing. I am so sorry.

Rosie24, will you finish up today?

I had #25 yesterday- the last of my regular (four sweeps entire chest wall) and got mapped for my boosts. I have a lovely drawing of a upside down heart (looks like a second grader drawing) around my aerola where my scar is. I've been told that this will be only one blast for the next five days- the end is in sight.

I have a lady that is on the same schedule as me and her skin turned red and itchy within two weeks, then we chatted and I found out that she is getting (what she called) a gel filled pad over her area to help penetrate the radiation. I am assuming that's why her skin has reacted worse than mine.

I am still exhausted most afternoons- I manage to get a walk in right away and get one thing done before I have to take a rest. Our allergy season in AZ is in full swing, so my eyes are very itchy and dry which doesn't help either. I am hoping that my fatigue lets up a bit this coming week.

Sending good thoughts to all and everyone stay safe.

• Rosie24
    Options

Yes, I'm finished!! It's nice to know my skin can start recovering now. I was told it may still get worse for a few days to a week but that it will then heal quickly. I was given the mepilex plastic sheets to help with the worst areas. I got some a week ago also but was afraid to put the “sticky" plastic on. I should have just done it then, heard today it's not really sticky and it helps a lot for tender areas. (The nurse also said to layer on aquaphor first, then put plastic over that.)

I brought chocolate bars from a local candy store for the techs, doc, and nurse. Nothing big, but they seemed to enjoy getting them, as did the quiet receptionist who always greeted me by name. He was a great welcomer even though he seemed very shy.

You're getting close, AZ. I hope you can deal with the fatigue. I have some too, but I'm not doing much physical activity right now. I've had some naps here and there, maybe more to come?

How's everyone else doing, whether finished or still going?

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Congratulations Rosie. A sigh of relief. Hope your skin starts healing soon. Thanks for the wonderful idea about the candy. With Easter approaching it’s a nice touch perhaps with a basket.

• birdsndognow
    birdsndognow Member Posts: 16
    Options

Yay Rosie! You are done!

I started the "electron" treatment to the last area, where the tumor was and where the scars are. I've got until next Wednesday. I've had mostly rough, redness in skin, but had 1 blister on my chest, and 1 blister on my back near my shoulder. I've used a pure US sourced aloe by Seven Minerals; and Aquafor. I really want to get done due to this covid19 that's around; it's been surreal here and with the hospital. My appointments have been rescheduled to *months* from now. Not a loaf of bread on the shelves, and I got next to the last 5 lb bag of flour to bake bread. :-/

How are you all faring with this situation? We all have breast cancer, surely don't need all this extra contention in our lives.

Take care Rosie and all.

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Glad you guys are getting done! I started today in this crazy uncertain time - hoping I'll get through to April 15 without getting sick or the hospital closing

• Rosie24
    Options

I just want to add that if anyone has serious redness (maybe with broken skin), take the mepilex covering if you get offered it. The plastic is what you peel off and there's a soft outer foam layer with slight stickiness underneath. Feels nice. Why did I wait so long??

• rhodygirl55
    Options

Congratulations Rosie on competing your treatments!! Now you can heal. I have never heard of those mepilex sheets, that sounds interesting.

I'm one week past treatments and I'm surprised at how quickly my skin is recovering. The formerly tan areas are almost back to normal. I still have one area in my armpit that is raw, but the skin is so thin there just over the tissue expander.

Sounds like a couple more of you will finish up this week too, which is great!

Wishing you all continued treatments during all of this. My last couple of weeks I had a 6 day break, so I asked the RO if that affects the treatment , she told me that for breast cancer a break in treatment doesn't alter the effectiveness of the radiation. So hopefully that reassures you if that unfortunately happens amidst all these closures and delays.
    Wishing you all peace and health

• AZNative2020
    Options

#27 of 30 done. The boosts (which take only 30 seconds) have been taking forever for them to get me in the right position. The table moves and jerks as if I am on the Matterhorn at Disneyland and the young tech has to put a plastic template over my scar and draw dots, etc. Her face is literally six inches from mine- so much for social distancing. I am hoping the last three are faster- I am anxious to be done. My center has hand sanitizer everywhere and disinfects all surfaces except for the changing rooms that look as if they have not been cleaned in a month. I don't touch anything in there. I think I'll bring my can of Lysol tomorrow. :)

My clavicle and upper chest is pink and feels tight like a sunburn, but I really can't complain too much. I asked my RO about hearing that it will continue to burn for a week or so afterwards and of course she said- oh no- that's really more of the exception than the rule. I asked her if she thinks I need any burn cream and she said no. I continue to slather on fresh aloe and calendula gel in the day and aquaphor at night.

I do recommend real fresh aloe to everyone- I use it from my plants and blend it in my Blendtec until very smooth. It is very soothing to apply.

I know a few of us are finished Wednesday- I think Birdsndognow and Sjbell.

Everyone stay safe and well.

• TeriJ
    TeriJ Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hello everyone, I have been thinking of you all and wanted to check in. I hope you are all able to continue with treatments and are doing well. It’s a crazy time right now and no one needs any more worry. One bit of advice,,, I am now a month post radiation. Keep doing your stretches and I recommend massaging your breast. I didn’t do that for a few days and when I decided to try, it felt like I was removing a bandaid off my chest wall. It wasn’t painful, but uncomfortable. My skin and lumpectomy areas were so tender post treatment that I just left it all alone. So, now I’m making sure to move my breast in several directions to prevent scar tissue attachment. My deeper tissue is still tender, but improving. I’m taking Letrozole and have been happy that I wasn’t experiencing side effects, but this week (week three) I am having so many hot flashes all night long. It might be because I’m enjoying wine and beer during virtual happy hours. Ugh! So today I’ll skip the glass of wine and see. Best of luck to all of you. We are going to make it through all of this

• AZNative2020
    Options

Last Day of Radiation! 30 days- six long weeks. Done. Follow up with my plastic surgeon right afterwards. All looks good. She suggested I keep up with my skin care and Singulair for six months. Came home to this. I have the best family and we're here staying home to celebrate!

How is everyone else doing?

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Yay! Congrats

• redhead403
    redhead403 Member Posts: 65
    Options

So nice!  Congratulations 

• Rosie24
    Options

Congrats on finishing, AZ!! Enjoy your celebration 😊

• rhodygirl55
    Options

Congratulations!! It’s good to see you, and you look happy and healthy

It will only get better from here!

• Rosie24
    Options

I just want to check in and say that my skin issues are just about gone! I have some peeling areas but no more tenderness or redness. DH took a little video of me ringing the bell and put it on FB for our friends. I had a nasty red area right above my neckline (clavicle area) of my shirt, ugh. I had a jacket on that I could have adjusted but didn't even think of it. So I guess I can always look back and remember that burn!

My best learning experience: Mepilex was definitely my friend once I finished for that area. I could have used it sooner but I was afraid of the stickiness being painful to remove. It wasn't at all. If anyone reading this has painful or even blistering burns please ask your RO team for some. It's a dressing for wounds that has a peel off back with a slightly sticky side that goes on the skin. It feels good and protects the area from irritating clothing or other touching.

How's everyone doing? Hope you've moved on (or are close) and are feeling good 😊

• LMS458412
    LMS458412 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Hi all! It's so nice to see that so many of you are done. Congratulations!

I'm four and a half weeks out and my skin looks pretty good, except one area on my chest that still peels a little bit every few days. The skin just below my underarm is still a bit tender, too. I think it's because it's wear my clothing rubs against it. All my nerves are waking up and healing again, so everything feels weird. Zings and tingles. But, overall, I feel okay and I think my skin will heal up soon.

I hope everyone is making the most of this crazy situation. I'm enjoying spending time with my family and trying to get caught up on projects around the house that I put off during treatment. Stay safe everyone!

• birdsndognow
    Options

Hi everyone!

AZNative congratulations on finishing your therapy!

I finished my 6 weeks last Wednesday, and am very happy it's over!

Total 5000 cGy to the whole breast in 25 treatments; and 1000 cGy in 5 treatments to

the surgical site. They also did supraclavical and axillary lymph nodes, but it wasn't on

the write up documents.

Got some itching and peeling now so it's on the mend.

Months from now I will have followups with RO for a Survivorship Meeting; and MO;

SO; and a mammogram.

I'm still taking letrozole since January but think I'm having side effects so might have to

ask for appointment sooner than June or give a call to MO. Rosie24, Moxie32, and

TeriJ, you're taking letrozole also, is there a thread on this board just about this drug?

I want to thank you all for sharing your journeys. It really helped.

• AZNative2020
    Options

Checking back in with you all. I finished 30 rounds on March 25. The only two areas that were a bit red were my left clavicle and a small spot in the center of my neck. I never peeled or blistered at all. I consider myself very lucky. I am using Aquaphor at night and just leave it on during the day. I am using Aloe and calendula gel during the day. I am still tired mid afternoon, but feel that I am getting some energy back. I am still drinking a gallon of water a day, walking 2-3 miles, doing a short yoga stretching, pilates workout, juicing and trying to keep my protein up. I am drinking alcohol again- socially. I stopped while in radiation thinking that my body had enough to process.

My implants are looking pretty good. My left is a bit higher than my right. I continue to massage it and will take Singulair for six months. I have little bumps on the outer edge, but my PS assures me that it's all normal and will go away.

I am supposed to start back on Anastrozole next week.

All the best to those that are still going daily- stay safe and well.

• Rosie24
    Options

birdsndognow, Conrats on finishing! There is a forum here called “Hormone Therapy: Before, During, and After”. Sorry, I wasn’t able to link it here. There are threads in it specifically about Letrozole, I think. I’ve been on it about a year now and have either gotten used to it or issues I had went away. It’s doing its job for me so I’m happy. Good luck to you 🌺.

• PinkBean
    PinkBean Member Posts: 8
    Options

it’s been 7 weeks since my last dose of radiation, I was told I’d get an appointment afterwards but covid-19 took control and I’ve heard nothing. I don’t even know what happens next. Anyone else not had a follow up appointment? And the ones that have what does it entail?

• birdsndognow
    Options

Hi PinkBean! So sorry that you haven't heard about followup.

I finished March 25th and have a RO appointment a few months later. Won't get followup mammogram, until autumn. I have followup with oncologist in June, and it concerns me, because I started getting bad side effects from the letrozole that persist. So I quit the medication.

My main doctor intends to do a Televisit for me in a couple of weeks, though. .... I hope you hear from your healthcare providers, soon. Take care.

• TeriJ
    TeriJ Member Posts: 44
    Options

hello! It’s nice to read that some of you have been finishing up with radiation treatment! Congrats!! Let the healing begin.

I finished in late February and due to my experience, I recommend that you be sure to continue your stretches. Every day, twice a day! I all but stopped because covid hit the country, I got busy making masks and enjoying being off work. Then one day, I had to reach for something and wow! I could tell my muscle and other tissue had tightened up and boy was I sorry. Now every day and every time I stretch it is tight and uncomfortable. So, I wanted to come in here and recommend to all of you to stretch. I’m an active, fit woman and had only 19 rads treatments and small lumpectomy. Didn’t think I’d have issues post rads.

You’ve got this!

• mac5
    mac5 Member Posts: 85
    Options

Rosie24

Saw your post about the Mepilex. I’d like to use it and RO has agreed. I’ve been able to buy 4x7 Mepitel “dressings.” I’m not sure about how to apply what I have or if I’ve gotten the right stuff.

Can you give me some pointers? I have my first full SIM June 5, 2020.

Thanks

• Rosie24
    Options

Mac5,

I was given a couple 8.5 x 11 in. sheets by my RO's nurse. She said to cut a piece with scissors to cover the very red or broken skin areas. The nurse told me to put whatever cream/ointment I wanted on my skin first. Then peel off the removable layer and pat it onto your skin sticky side on skin. I didn't start using it until I was done (should have started sooner) and only put it on my underarm area over the scar and my clavicle, which was my worst red area. It was pretty amazing how soothing it felt and how it accelerated the healing. At least I think it did. I used for about a week and put new pieces on after my morning showers. Good luck, hope it helps. 😊

(Ask your team about whether to leave it on during treatments. I'm not sure how that works.)

• mac5
    mac5 Member Posts: 85
    Options

Thanks Rosie.

This stuff is new to my RO and me. But I’m 70 years old and trying very hard to save the chest skin for possible Reconstruction. My PS says if it works for me, ALL her patients are gonna use it. :-)

I really want it to work

• Rosie24
    Options

https://www.molnlycke.ca/our-knowledge/mepitel-film---radiotherapy-breast-application/

Mac, I googled & found this. Maybe it will be helpful. On seeing this our two products don't really look the same. My mepilex was basically a slightly sticky foam pad and I think yours is a film with a distinct border.

This link is written for medical professionals but I read it anyway. 😉