Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed this A.M. IDC

Options
toria1212
toria1212 Member Posts: 71
edited April 2020 in Just Diagnosed

Hi everyone,

Amidst the strain and chaos of worrying about and protecting my family from COVID19, I received the dreaded call from my gynecologist this a.m., stating that I have "invasive ductal"....She was kind, I was in shock, cried heartily for a moment and then put on my big girl pants to schedule my first appointment with the breast surgeon she recommended. I had a series of phone calls to ensure mammogram, pathology records, etc would be forwarded, and I was all business for about an hour. In that interim, I called my 31 year old daughter with whom I had cut off my phone call when the doc called(Daughter suspected bad news when I did not resume our call shortly) I called my 29 year old son, accountant ready to be laid off tomorrow due to the virus, who had already heard from big sister, who bawled like a baby-he's Type 1 Diabetic so we are being so diligent about making sure he stays well...)

Anyway, I kind of decided that I would not research the h*ll out of this just yet as my appointment is next Tuesday. Btw, my biopsy was Tuesday, so turnaround with results was less than 48 hours. However, my precious and wonderful fiance and I had to travel 40 minutes today to get my radiology records for the upcoming appointment. We wear gloves, use ALL precautions, then dashed into a smallish Italian market to grab some groceries and get our buns home, and then I discovered this forum of amazing, resilient, kind, helpful and supportive women. Then my real hysteria set in.

My doctor kindly said that they would do a lumpectomy and that the surgeon would be able to provide other information. My suspect area is around 6mm, very small and low on right breast, so the mammogram discovered it, I did not. I guess I was feeling O KAY, and yes naive, like, Oh they"ll cut it out and all will be well. I made a phone call to an amazing friend, a retired oncology lab director, who assured me that all sounds much more positive than negative, given the size of the affected area, and the diagnosis. So again, I was sitting in my naivete.

When I started perusing the Just Diagnosed posts, it was a sudden gut punch to realize(yeah, I feel so DUMB) that MUCH more information will lead docs and me to a complete diagnosis and treatment plan for my sweet little booby.

Ugh-I am a mix of tears and "there there", with loving children(also 24, 16 and 14 at home full time now due to the corona outbreak) who are all reassuring mom that all will be ok. I am still hesitant to read incessantly right now, as the virus is also taking up big amounts of my headspace.

I am 56, have lived a mostly healthy lifestyle, too much sugar for sure. A 27ish year m difficult marriage led to a horrific divorce several years ago, but healing and peace have come, and I honestly am simply adjusting to the 'aging' process, raising kids still(I have five total, fiance has one) and trying to live my best life. You are all so encouraging, helpful and kind. I feel blessed to have found this group so very early on.

Any suggestions for supplements that you take religiously during this journey? I am currently taking extra C and zinc to enhance immunity towards COVID19 but please share any others you may take?

Thank you for being such a thoughtful and welcoming community to a scared, shocked, hoping for the best woman.

Comments

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi--you're not alone, that's for sure. In fact, you and I have something else in common: my older son is also T1. So you and me, we've had to deal with scary stuff already.

All that to say, stick around, ask questions, remember to breathe, forget Googling, just research here (balanced, more importantly fact-based).

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,594
    edited March 2020
    Options

Toria, like many others will tell you - I'm sorry that you're here, but know that you will find comfort in the company of those who have gone through this and are going through this. I found that getting information here was much better than Dr. Google. Ask your questions, browse the forums, make new friends and know that you are not alone. There are discussions for all level of cancer and discussions for family member and caregivers.

Wishing you well,

Carol

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,939
    edited March 2020
    Options

Welcome, toria1212. We're so sorry you find yourself here, we know what a shock it can be to hear those words. But you are definitely not alone, and we're all here for you as you start down this road. As others have said, this community can be a wealth of information, so ask away! Most everyone here has been where you are at one point, and we're here to support you.

The Mods

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    edited March 2020
    Options

I wouldn't take any supplements without checking with your medical team. Some can interfere with blood flow, healing, and other things that have an impact on surgery and treatment.

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited March 2020
    Options

Toria so sorry you have had to join us here but you will not walk this path alone. As others have said, your doctors and these boards are the best places to find the information you will need. I am so sorry this diagnosis is hitting in the middle of the coronovirus crisis, just feels like piling on. From reading your post I get the sense that you are a very strong person. You will conquer this as well, one step at a time, one day at a time. Bless you.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited March 2020
    Options

Welcome, but sorry you've joined us.

Ditto to what AliceBastable said. Do not take any supplements without talking to your medical team.

Good luck going forward. The first news - that is it such a small tumor - is very good, and hopefully the rest of the pathology news remains good.

Being newly diagnosed and thrown into this whole new world is scary and overwhelming. For now, you just have to put one foot in front of the other, and show up. You'll figure it out over time and gain confidence in what's going on and what's best for you to do.

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited March 2020
    Options

It's quite possible you will only need a lumpectomy and nothing further. Hang in there. I can't imagine doing this with all this virus crap happening at the same time, but no matter what, you will be okay. It helped me to realize that b.c. is really (this is true) just another disease, like heart disease or arthritis or diabetes. With tx, you can recover from it, perhaps permanently, unlike so many other diseases, actually.

I think I would continue to take your zinc and Vit C till your surgeon and medical team tells you to stop. Just don't take megadoses. You may not get a surgical date for a few weeks, and taking them now should be okay. I was told to stop supplements that would cause bleeding (Vit C) 3 days from my surgery dates.

We are here for you.

Claire in AZ

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you edj3,

My son is 29, diagnosed at 16, and we are trying to ensure his wellness during this virus crisis! I have had mostly good two days since diagnosis, until I begin researching and it all feels so ENORMOUS. My nurse navigator provided a lot more information to me yesterday and that has (mostly) helped. I feel fortunate to have found this forum. Thank you for your kindness. I hope your son and you are well :)

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Carol. I vacillate between being TOTALLY OK, and bawling my eyes out, mostly ok though, but when I begin looking and researching, the overwhelmingness of it all hits me. My fiance and children have been so loving-I'll be ok. Wishing you health during this chaotic time of the virus....

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you for the information. I am taking C now and zinc as immune boost for the coronavirus, but will certainly share with the breast surgeon on Tuesday.

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Rah2464,

Thank you for your welcome and kindness. Yes, I am a strong person, survived much in my lifetime as we all have, and yes it's a bit overwhelming right now, with the coronavirus adjustments of trying to stay in, and keep my family well. I appreciate that I can find so much information and support here. I hope you are well.

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Beesie,

Thank you for the welcome and the encouragement-I have seen other posts of yours and you certainly bring a lot here to share and to support others. I am more than grateful, and even though I realize that when a 'plan' is in place, it will be some relief, I feel ok, then overwhelmed, then ok, then relieved, then hysterical...it's definitely a roller coaster ride, while trying to put on regular happy mom face to kids that are basically quarantined from the world...Thank you!

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Claireinaz,

AZ is my happy place :) and I do hope to retire there from this cold, grey midwest! Thank you-I appreciate how you compared it to other diseases and conditions, takes some of the enormity out of it. I am mostly ok, vowing to not spend every minute of my weekend looking at BC stuff. This forum is wealth of info and support-I am thankful to have found it. Enjoy the beautiful sunny skies. I can't wait to return!

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

I have been trying to be 'mom' this weekend, more than 'mom just diagnosed with BC' as my youngest two are 14 and 16, who will obviously be at home from school indefinitely, and I want to be positive for THEM. Finding this forum, and your kind responses have been such a blessing and help to me. Yesterday, dinnertime, the phone rang and it was the nurse navigator from the hospital where I had my mammo/biopsy. I will be having surgery etc at a hospital closer to my home and seeing a breast surgeon that my gynecologist recommended. When the nurse navigator called, I did not realize that she would have information from my biopsy. She told me that ER is +, PR not enough to tell, HER - and Grade 1. That seemed to be all she had but was very reassuring that if there is a "good" scenario, this is it. I really felt TREMENDOUS relief after her explaining some things to me; she was very sweet, took her time and provided answers to anything I asked. I hung up feeling over the moon as prior to our conversation, I only had the diagnosis "Invasive Ductal Carcinoma". I really had no idea there were so many components to BC and she was thorough and helpful and reassuring to me.

I am so many emotions, happy, relieved, scared, overwhelmed, crybaby, normal, giddy, hopeful....it's all there-and looking further through these posts and getting more information then makes me feel less sure, and not sure, and ugh. I have survived my father's suicide, my brother's incarceration, miscarriage and infertility, raising five kids, a bitter divorce after a long, unhealthy marriage, my son's type 1 diabetes diagnosis, and a malignant melanoma in my 20s. Now pushing through this virus stuff, I know all of us have stories and struggles and much challenge and hardship in our lives. I am still ME, and pray that the path will be not too scary to travel for this particular circumstance of my life.

I am in awe of the support and uplifting encouragement you all offer to each other here. The information is so helpful and frankly, it is a godsend. Thank you for being here. I hope one day I too can support other women on this journey.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2020
    Options

Regarding supplements, I have a different perspective than many. I had a consult with a MO who is an Integrative Oncologist who uses a lot of supplements and other integrative practices, like interval training on the morning of chemo, and a nearly vegan diet. He recommended MANY supplements, mostly antioxidants. I took them religiously through chemo and still taking most of them. I had very, very good results. In my case the tumor was TNBC.

The lack of double blind trials on supplements, and the fact that SOME supplements and even some foods are contraindicated for certain chemos, means that knowledge of/ comfort with supplements is NOT universal among MOs.

If you are interested in the integrative approach, the doc I saw will do consults and second opinions. Dr Keith Block, The Block Center, Skokie Ill. I am pretty sure he saved my life. My hometown MO (an excellent Stanford trained MO but a supplement skeptic at best) told me that he thinks it made a giant difference to my case-- that he would never have predicted a pCR with how advanced my tumor was art presentation-- & the's the one who told me to stay on them going forward.

The idea is basically that diet and supplements and exercise change the "terrain" of the body-- sort of like a soil amendment changes the terrain of garden. You can make your body more or less friendly to the growth of cancer. Here is a summary of the Integrative approach:

https://stramcenter.com/blog/blog-detail/myth-vs-fact-the-skinny-on-cancer/

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2020
    Options
  • salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hey toria1212,

I also found that first consult after my biopsy to be an incredible relief. I'm glad that the nurse navigator was able to provide that for you! It is such a complicated time to be going through this. And with all that you have survived! I think what we have survived sometimes can help with perspective and self-confidence, and I hope that it can be a source of strength for you. I also hope that you have times and spaces and people with whom you can be weak sometimes too, because that can be helpful as well.

Heart

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Toria1212, we are sorry you had to join this forum, but know there is an abundance of love, support & caring intelligent people here. It sounds like you have carried your share of crosses...what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!!! I can tell by your posts you are a STRONG woman!! It may not seem like it right now going through the roller coaster of emotions you are experiencing; emotions like that are all totally acceptable-let those tears flow!! I have to reiterate your nurse navigator's thoughts that your pathology results are VERY good. Once you get a plan for surgery, etc. in place things will start to calm down emotionally. It's important right now to get your body in shape for surgery and post treatments (cut the white carbs, sugar, alcohol, snacks, increase water & exercise). In the meantime, do not be afraid to let your family and friends 'carry you' while you are on this journey. It's an opportunity for them to show their love and enCOURAGEment! Lean on them (including your children at home) for help with everything. Now is not the time to be SUPER MOM-let them be SUPER KIDS. You need to take care of YOU right now. I hope this information is not too forward and is of some assistance. Big hugs!

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Santabarbarian,

Thank you for your input and for providing information re. supplements. I am very intrigued by adapting a healthier lifestyle going forward(I am a pretty health minded person, but wine and chocolate are my nemesis(es)) For me, I have to more or less cold turkey bad habits as I am quite able to play tennis for three hours, eat a robust and healthy salade, then polish off 40 Hershey Kisses. I want for me to make changes that will enhance healing and good health. Thank you for the resources and for reaching out. I feel blessed to have found y'all.

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

Salamandra,

You are so kind! It's these messages of encouragement that create hope and some relief to a pretty much crazy lady the last two days-my emotions are ALL over the place as I read and learn and contemplate what is ahead. You are all courageous and filled with such kindness. It warms me. I am strong and weak at the same time.... Thank you

• toria1212
    edited March 2020
    Options

L8Blmr,

I also live in Michy(although a transplant from the Pittsburgh area :). I smiled reading your post. It's certainly hard to take off that SUPER MOM hat and let everyone else carry the torch, isn't it? I am still in quite a state of "Um, WHAT just happened to my LIFE?" this weekend, with lots and lots of bursting into tears, as well as enjoying my family and the typical family energy that comes from all being cooped up together. It was not too difficult to tell my youngest two(14 and 16) My 14 year old daughter cried, but we have a boatload of humor in our house, and I am trying to show them that I am not a pillar, but also not focusing on the gloom and doom. We do not know when/if? students will return to school, so times ahead are going to be interesting for certain.

I'm already focused on changing my diet radically as sugar is a daily habit. I am a healthy eater, though, but the nibbles, for now at least, must stop. I want to be a bit radical about my habits, so that as you suggested, I can be 'ready' and healthy for surgery. Trying to avoid the coronavirus has brought us to being super mindful and very socially distant from all others for this time, so perhaps if we can avoid the virus, I will be in good shape when surgery day comes.

Thank you for your welcome and kindness. Just reading through posts is providing me with great information and continued support. I hope you are doing well!

PS DEFINITELY as ready as the rest of the world for SPRING to come to Michigan-geez, we get about 30 minutes of warmish(as in less than cold) to go outdoors to walk, etc. It is nice to see the sun finally!

• scared57
    scared57 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi Toria,

I too was just recently diagnosed with IDC, had an 11 mm mass removed also from the lower right breast along with a duct in same quadrant. Surgery was 10 days ago and it went fine, minus nausea from anesthesia. Just got a call today from oncologist who has my histology of the mass and will be meeting with her Monday. The grade was a 3, grew in 11 months since my last mammo and ultrasound (dense breasts) so that scares me. I am hoping to avoid chemo, my biggest fear. I also at 57 am scared to take the preventative pill, I have read of such horrible side effects and taking it for 5-10 yrs makes me cringe. Then there is the corona virus on top, kids home from college and another, a nurse, I can't see. It is such an awful time for a diagnosis if there ever is a "good" time. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, although it sure feels that way I know. It is a rally between "ok, they caught it early and omg I have friggin breast cancer!" If you want to vent don't hesitate to message me. One day at a time and we will get thru this!!!

Scared57

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited April 2020
    Options

toria, I have to comment on your "wine and chocolate" post! I am with you on that! I found that giving up wine while in treatment was not difficult at all. I started on 72% cocoa Ghiradelli squares and they are still my go to chocolate addiction. I hope you don't need it, but if you do chemo, your taste buds may go South on you anyway, and you won't miss them. It's all about balance and not over-indulging, as you already know.

scared, so sorry you are going thru this right now. Rally your family around you! There are a lot of chemo threads on the forum, if you do need chemo. I love your attitude!

Best wishes to you all~

• toria1212
    edited April 2020
    Options

Scared57.

I keep wondering if I am in denial over my BC diagnosis, we are so consumed with trying to stay covid free...UGH...it's such a crazy time. I am sorry for your diagnosis, but every day I feel blessed to have already 'met' such supportive and informed ladies here. What a gift-to be able to come here day or night and find support and answers. Am praying for you! (My 29 year old is type 1 diabetic, staying with me since his layoff, truly a GREAT "kid", but now in a serious depression. We remain caregivers...)

keepthefaith,

You are so sweet. I am grateful for your kind words and support. My mind spins-today we walked 2.5 miles or more? Then to the baseball fields to help my teenage son-I tried mightily to catch a pop up lol(didn't!) The virus stuff is consuming and I only seem to 'remember' my BC when I think about it, and I cry still, and can't believe still, that this is happening. As of now, no chemo, but will begin AI pre-surgery(scheduled for May11) as covid may delay it and Dr. wants me to start now. How did you do on yours? I became sooo worked up about the meds-we had a video consult last Thursday with the MO, and she said, "Tori, I can SEE your anxiety. Settle down. It's just a pill". Not exactly like that, but she knew I was losing it over the med.

I will miss the wine, but chocolate? Probably can't live without lol. (((hugs))) to you

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160
    edited April 2020
    Options

I also have a kid with type 1, a 30 year old daughter, diagnosed at 4. She is 3,000 miles away across the country. I am pretty consumed with fear since we have had some awful experiences with hospitals' and docs and nurses having no idea how to manage type 1.

We have a lot of other things in common, actually.

Your diagnosis looks as good as it gets. Don't be afraid of the aromatase inhibitors. Many of us do fine on them. Honest. My only tip is to exercise more than 20 minutes and the pain eases and you feel better.

When there is a lot going on and worries for others, your focus may not be on your breast cancer. One of my kids was recovering from a brain injury when I had my diagnosis and when I recount that period, I always forget my cancer. With the virus and your kids and dealing with type 1 there is a lot to take up space in your mind.

There is plenty of time to process it.

Glad you are starting treatment. I hope that is reassuring.

• toria1212
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi there windingshores,

Thank you so much sweetie, for the encouraging thoughts and vibes. The virus is all consuming-I forget I have BC. Maybe it's a *good* thing as I am not obsessing the way I usually would with this stuff. I begin my AI tonight-ugh. THank you for offering the positivity on that as well. I am going to just breathe and pray.

You have had a LOT on your plate as a mum, too. I'm sorry your D-1 daughter is far from you. My son and I played tennis yesterday, he is staying here. He's an anxious mess(mini midlife crisis is more like it) right now, so I am trying to keep him well :). They are my heroes-they really have to fight for good health every moment.

Where do you live? We are in Michigan, after some years in western Ohio, originally from Pittsburgh, PA area. I will always call the 'Burgh home and my 83 year old mom and dad are still there...I have spent 26 years away now, and after my divorce, I thought, what am I doing HERE(in Michy)? and can't wait to move to AZ when my youngest graduates...

Stay well, hon xx

• onlygirlof5
    onlygirlof5 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi Toria1212,

I just read through the comments, and you have received some excellent feedback from others.

I read you are from Michigan. Any chance you are seeing UofM docs? If so, you are in excellent hands and have the added benefit of their tumor board (many specialists in oncology reviewing your case and advising treatment along the way).

Your initial post brought tears to my eyes, as it seems like yesterday that I was experiencing the same feelings. I had a very good friend, who had walked this same path over 13 years ago, offer me some advice. The day I found out my Dx (also ICD), I called her. The first thing she said to me was "these are the darkest days." She meant that those first days and weeks are the hardest, because we don't know what anything means, what is to come, and how we will react. This proved spot on. At each appointment, I received news that helped quell my fears. I can remember the overwhelming feeling of relief when the surgeon explained my case. He left me feeling reassured that they had this down, and I was going to be OK.

Do you have your surgery date yet?

• toria1212
    edited April 2020
    Options

OnlyGirlof5,

I am divorced, working two part time jobs(teaching and school secretary) so I have private, bottom of the barrel insurance. I LOVE my gynecologist who recommended the BS etc, who are providers, so I went with them. They all have five stars and great reviews. A good tennis buddy of mine had prostate cancer and is on the cancer board at U of M-he says the same about them! I pray my docs are right for what I need to recover. I start my AI tonight and I want to bawl and throw up....

Stay well!

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2020
    Options

Toria1212, I really hope you stay positive about the AI. Please don't create a self-fulfilling prophecy that this pill is going to make your life awful. It is a life saver for a lot of us. And the TNBC people probably wish they had a pill to take if it will prevent recurrence. There is so much good advice on this board regarding AI; exercise, drink plenty of water, eat well, etc. Find what works for you. You might have to go outside your comfort zone; I added yoga and weight training (never did either before BC) to prevent osteoporosis and it really helps with the joint stiffness and I've meet some new friends there. Take it slow; one day at a time but, please stay positive. You will get to the other side. Big hugs!!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited April 2020
    Options

Toria--you might have seen this before, but if not it's worth a look. In my case, the AI improves my overall survival probability more than chemo or Herceptin. It can be a very important piece of ongoing treatment. I can't say I've had zero SEs, but they are certainly tolerable. I've kept up with my exercise and that really does help.

https://breast.predict.nhs.uk/tool