Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo May 2020

Options
15678911»

Comments

• kasi2020
    kasi2020 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi All,

My first time posting. I didn't even know this forum existed. So glad I found it. Since we all started this journey in May, wondering about hair growth. I did 6 rounds of TCHP. Had my DMX two weeks ago. Her 2 + ER & PR - I have been declared Cancer free on Oct 1. 💕 Istill on my h&p until next year Rads and reconstruction still left to do

My question is hair. I am trying not to freak out. I has been almost two months since my last chemo. Aug 19th and I am still bald will a few sprouts that have been there. I just found out not that long ago that taxotere can cause permanent hair loss. I pray that I am not that rare case. Checking in to see how you all are doing with hair re growth. Thanks.

• pjal
    pjal Member Posts: 62
    Options

Hi Kasi, Congratulations on being finished chemo. I finished my chemo at the end of July. I have some hair growth. It started coming back in different places around mid-September. Some of the bald spots are starting to fill in now. I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes at the beginning of September, but they are growing in quicker than my hair. I don't even have half an inch yet on my head. It is a very soft fuzz. I had very dark hair. When it began to come back, it was completely gray, but now some spots are beginning to come back to my natural color. My doctor told me that it will come back gray and the texture will likely be different and it will sometimes stay that way. I don't know if that's necessarily true of everyone. I think that everyone is different. We created a Facebook group to stay connected in our journey after chemo. Let us know if this is something that you would be interested in joining.

Paula

• camama2
    camama2 Member Posts: 22
    Options

Kasi,

I had Taxotere 15 years ago (along with AC) and my hair started growing back after about 2 months. It never grew fully back and I did have partial permanent hair loss. It was just much much thinner everywhere after it grew back than before I had chemo. When I was diagnosed with BC in April of 2020 I too discovered (but only a week before) that Taxotere can cause permanent hair loss so I did cold capping with my chemo (Taxotere & Carboplatin). My last chemo was Sept 16. My hair is thinner still and I'm still losing some hair. Don't panic yet, it's very rare and even if you do you could be like me where it grows back, just thinner. Good luck!

Laurie

• sabbymama
    sabbymama Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi Kasi,

I finished my TC on July 28th, and I am finally seeing some fuzzy growth this past week! I was panicking too, but it is slowly starting to show signs of coming back, although not evenly. Interestingly, it is much darker than my original blonde color? It's just like peach fuzz now and my daughter loves to touch it....lol. Hang in there and it should hopefully make an appearance soon! Sending positive vibes your way ;).

Cheers,

Sabrina

• UnrealTarHeel
    UnrealTarHeel Member Posts: 71
    Options

Hi, all. It's been a while since I checked in. Finished chemo July 26, and had 4 weeks of rads, ending Sept. 24. It really laid me low--much more than I anticipated. But am starting to get some energy back, with periodic and unpredictable crashes. Herceptin will continue until sometime this spring.There is already a mammogram on the schedule for me Feb. 24 -- trying not to think about that right now.

My hair is definitely re-emerging and I'm going without a scarf almost all the time now. My normally very thick eyebrows thinned quite a bit, but are also coming back in. Eyelashes mostly seemed to stay put, but a giving them a couple more weeks before I feel secure in saying that.

Since I have to keep going back to the infusion center for the Herceptin, ringing the bell felt premature. But here I am SLAMMING the gong in the radiation onc waiting room after my last appointment 3 weeks ago. It was loud!

--Judy

• sabbymama
    sabbymama Member Posts: 82
    Options

That's awesome Judy! There's no gong or bell here in Brussels :(. I think it looks like fun in your photos! Rads had the same effect on me, I had to nap every day or at least lie down for a couple hours, but I'm a couple weeks out now and it is getting a bit better?

I had a mammogram yesterday on my non-cancer side and it went well, so hopefully yours will too! I was happy to be able to visit with the doctor here in Brussels that originally diagnosed me and sent me on my journey to recovery. It was great to thank her and update her on my treatment received back in the US and I trust her when she says my mamo was clear ;).

Happy to see your update and wishing you the best!

Cheers,

Sabrina

• pjal
    pjal Member Posts: 62
    Options

Judy-that does look like you’re having fun hitting that. I can almost hear the sound. I scheduled my mammogram too. I’m nervous.

Sabrina-glad you are doing well and glad your mammogram was good!

• Mememee
    Mememee Member Posts: 33
    Options

I have a BC recurrence that is stage 3 and was told that I would need chemo AC&T, so I bought the wig. The day I was scheduled to start chemo, my genetic test of my tumor finally came back and it indicated chemo would be less than 1% effective. Now I have a very expensive wig that I do not need.

The wig is 100% remy (human hair) with each strand hand tied. It has never been worn. There is a wig cap and wig tape. The wig is light brown with blond highlights and is below shoulder length. It is in the original box. It can be cut and colored how ever you want. I paid $1,800 for the wig.

If anyone is interested, send me a private message & I will send photos,. I am not looking to recoup the full price. It’s more important that it goes to someone who will use

• 1maymay1
    1maymay1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi my name is Mayedean I just wanted to thank you for the information you provided, my first day of chemo will be 2/21/22, I would like to keep in touch