Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Herceptin and Perjeta side effects after chemotherapy.

Options
2»

Comments

• deniseml
    deniseml Member Posts: 68
    Options

thanks for eye drop info. Last chemo was 12/8 and still experiencing eye tearing so am using Thera-tears now. It has helped! Does this mean I have been left with dry eye syndrome?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    Options

Denise - I didn't think it was permanent. At least it wasn't for me. Since it's been 4 months, I'd definitely see what your MO says &/or make an appointment with an ophthalmologist.

• deniseml
    Options

I know this thread isn’t active right now, but, in case it’s viewed , I’m looking for anyone who experienced a worsening echocardiogram while on HP. I had to hold July dose for to a drop in my ejection fraction on echo. Can’t say I am feeling any different. Do you know if it will improve with holding a dose? Or can I expect to stop all infusions? I have 5 more to go, and this is concerning to me since there is no other recommended treatment for HER2+, IBC with pCR at time of surgery.

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    Options

sorry Denise — I don’t have any experience with heart issues from herceptin. I did want to share though that there have been studies showing that even six months of herceptin works — so even if you can’t finish the recommended number of Infusions it should still be okay. It does suck a lot though and I hope you will be able to pause and then finish the course.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/herceptin-for-6-months-seems-same-as-1-yr

• deniseml
    Options

Melbo, thank-you for this information. I did not find this in my search! It does ease my mind a little to know it's been studied

Update: it’s a little over a year later. Continuing on cardiac meds. Heart muscle has slowly recovered. I opted not to finish HP treatment. NED to date. Just had PRM. Life moves on. Too many other things to take priority .

Hope & pray all of you are managing well and finding peace wherever you are at .

• bakerb
    bakerb Member Posts: 7
    Options

Last year I completed 6 rounds of TCHP and experienced diarrhea throughout. This was followed by herceptin and perjeta (Phesgo injection) to complete a full year of treatment. My last dose was one month ago and the diarrhea continues, so I’m guessing that the drugs are still circulating. The itchiness is still very bothersome but may be slightly less intense. I will post when these 2 side efffects are no longer an issue.

• ckelly1967
    ckelly1967 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2023
    Options

I did 6 tchp did great.. I had to do 12 more hp.. I had such bad diaherria n leg cramps...my nose ran like crazy.. Bad cramps. My Dr said the same thing no u must be drinking I like no I am not.. I drank wine daily when I found out I had cancer... That's why she said that ..I been off for a year my digestive system Still bad now I have issues going.. it horrible.. I had a histamine intolerance before all this . I was thinking it was that caus either heard hp very high in that.. I just want to be normal again not fear not being able to go. It is horrible. The Dr need to learn. I also shedded 8 months after chemo from the hp.. I used the cold cap lost 2 percent of hair.. my nail broke so easy for over a year . Dr said it was chemo it was the hp.. during chemo n after they were done till five months just hp. It was horrible they split down the side of nail. I rather have been on chemo than hp..

• ckelly1967
    ckelly1967 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I had the same thing happen.. I told my cardiologist it was wrong he said the tech been doing it for 20 yrs.. turned out I was right.. I went for the other test n all good. The tech did not press hard enough when he did the left side... I went from 68 to a 50 cause he didn't press.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

@ckelly1967, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're sorry you had to join us for this. It sounds like you've been through a lot with treatment, and we want you to know that you have found a supportive space here. Others will probably weigh in shortly. In the meantime, feel free to explore the boards, start new discussions, and ask any questions you may have. And if you need any assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're always here!

Warm regards,

The Mods

• deniseml
    Options

@ckelly1967 Just checking in and saw your post. Hopefully your EF has returned to normal after holding dose. Mine did with the addition of 2 cardiac meds which I will remain on. Back to normal living without any symptoms. I had 3 more treatments to go, but chose to not restart since there was growing evidence that 6 months of Herceptin had same benefit as 1 year. Not sure if any other studies contradict that at this point. Wishing you the best!