Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

April 2021 Radiation

Options
13»

Comments

• panout
    panout Member Posts: 33
    Options

Even though I've been done with radiation for a while, I wanted to post the after-effects for posterity.

I finished radiation at the end of April with a large blister close to the tumor bed. Of course, this blister ended up popping and becoming infected. I swear, the worst skin effects of radiation seemed to happen in the two weeks after radiation concluded! I was given an oral antibiotic and silver sulfadiazine (SSD). Now, five weeks after radiation, the blister area has finally healed, and the only issue I have is peeling.....everywhere. The peeling has crept upwards towards my clavicle...and I'm grateful that people at work will mistake this for too much sun during the holiday weekend.

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    Options

hello ladies,

I have my mapping appt tomorrow - any tips/tricks? Thanks!

Julie

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    Options

Juju - make sure they go over with you orally and in writing what to expect and how to care for your skin. What to do/not do, products etc. Radiation is cumulative. So the "burn" is likely to get worse and might continue to get worse after the last treatment. Fatigue can be a real problem. For 2 weeks after last, I would still get fatigued.

• hopeful2020
    hopeful2020 Member Posts: 78
    Options

hi Juju - I had to do the deep inspiration breath hold for about 20 seconds (though during actual radiation I have had to hold almost to 40 seconds). Did your doctor say you might have to do that? If you haven't done it before you may want to practise. They mark you with tatoo spots that can pinch a little bit on the sides. Other than that, it goes well. They did a CT scan of the entire chest and abdomen and the doctor makes some markings. It took almost 2 weeks for them to get back to me. Then the first day was just set up and treatment started from day 2 after that. Aquaphor is what they recommended for me to apply twice a day. RO sees me every week to go over skin issues. I am at 22/30 treatments. Trick is to lie really still and not drift. Its like sunbathing with arms up and relaxing totally. Hope this helps.

• juju-mar
    Options

thank you all!
    I did get the mapping done on Friday. I will have the run through Monday June 14 and radiation will begin the 15th for 6 weeks. I'm still not 100% confident, but it is standard of care. For some reason I'm scared of radiation. Chemo was ok, surgery was ok. Hopefully radiation will be ok.

Julie

• annlat
    annlat Member Posts: 25
    Options

Juju-mar...I was very apprehensive about radiation therapy, too. I am a radiolgy tech and had to learn all the effects of radiation in school. But the treatment wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I am about a month out from my last treatment, and my skin is almost completely back to normal. I had redness and itching that started around week 2, but that is gone now. I used Eucerin at least 3 times a day. So hang in there! My doctor knew I was nervous about it, and he explained how it is very precise now and made me feel better.

Hugs!

ann

• juju-mar
    Options

annlat,

Thank you for your reply! I had my mapping and start this Monday for treatment. I am feeling better about it. I'm just ready for this past year to be behind me. I have a girls trip planned and my RO is letting me take 3 days off for that after the first 8 sessions. Were you able to wear a bra towards the end of radiation?

Julie

• annlat
    annlat Member Posts: 25
    Options

Juju-mar- I was wearing sports-type bras when I went anywhere, not too tight though. Hanes makes a couple of nice ones, one of them hooks in the front. https://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Loom-Womens-Builtup-S... I used to wear underwires all the time, but I'm kind of liking the stretchy bras with a little support. Much more comfortable! Just make sure you moisturize lots!

• Mememee
    Mememee Member Posts: 33
    Options

Juju-Mar

Good luck with the start of treatment. I just finished 33 radiation treatments (60 grays in total). I followed my dr instructions, used only the cream he gave me, cool showers, stayed indoors from 10 to 5 everyday …. Over all my care team made it so easy for me. My boob was pink but no skin issues, and it has been 6 days since I finished. I had some fatigue but keeping active it helps to manage it. Pain in my shoulder and pecs is the worst side effects from chest wall & lyphm node rads. I am starting physical therapy next week to work through the muscle issues.

Ask questions and get answers. No question is wrong and voicing your concerns is a good way to support yourself though these next weeks.