Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2021

Options

Comments

• DebbieM1958
    DebbieM1958 Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi NinaCA - welcome! Not where you want to be but its a great group of people. I can't speak for the Taxol as I dont take it. I am however doing the pre meds orally as I hate swallowing pills. I take 8ml of decadron in the morning and evening for Days 1-3 along with Xofran. I also do the ice treatments during one of my meds only, feet and hands. Did not really have any issues with the steroids except they kept me very peppy and busy for about 36 hours after. But I do find I don't sleep as well, or as long as I did before. I bought some wigs but frankly havent used one as they are not very comfortable. I am doing OK with mostly just woolen beanies when cold otherwise just the shaved head if not cold. I was never one for wearing things on my head so it doesn't feel right for me. I hope you do well on your treatment plan and I agree to stay quiet while you feel a little fuzzy. Maybe also mention to your doc as well, perhaps they can back something off a bit to help with that. All the best to you!!!! Chat soon.

• HummingbirdAZ
    HummingbirdAZ Member Posts: 93
    Options

Hi Nina,

I've had 2 Taxol infusions thus far, after completing the AC regimen. I think the potential side effects depend on dosage so it is important whether you are doing dose dense or weekly. I'm on weekly and, aside from a setback in the last week, get all the premeds via the port the day of. Aside from usually sleeping through most of the Taxol part from the Benedryl, I bought and use cold mitts and booties which I freeze and bring in a cooler. The only side effect I've had is a bit of bone pain on days 3-4 after, which is uncomfortable but tolerable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P53NB78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps, maybe mindthief and spades can chime in, as they are both on Taxol too.

• mindthief
    mindthief Member Posts: 62
    Options

hi Nina, yes, I’m doing taxol too but dose dense as Hummingbird mentioned. I’ve only had one treatment so far but for me the only real side effect has been several days of what turned out to be significant bone/muscle/ligament/everything pain. I got my pre-meds (Benadryl and steroid) via IV, no oral doses, so I imagine it wore off quicker. I hope the subsequent treatments are easier for you.

• spades2525
    spades2525 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Hi NinaCA, I wish you all of the best on this treatment journey. I am also doing dose dense Taxol after finishing an AC regime. But I haven’t started yet. My first treatment is on Friday. I know that I will be taking some steroid oral medication 12 hours and six hours before my treatment, and then likely more the day of I just don’t know those details yet or can’t remember them!

I am happy to have had this extra week recovery because I do feel it has benefited me. I feel like I’m getting my emotional shit together!

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    Options

Hi all, Just checking in. The ER/hospital segment of my 2nd infusion side effects is over now. Went in with a fever and low white blood cells last Monday night, came out on Saturday night with no fever, rash reduced greatly, antibiotics for a sinus infection I didn't know I had, and a super high white blood cell count as they gave me shots for 3 days and probably one would have been enough (mistake I guess?). But I feel fine. 3rd TC infusion on Friday.

Hang in there, the struggles suck, but life extension is the goal.

• sarah_78
    sarah_78 Member Posts: 119
    Options

oldladyblue, I am glad to hear your problems are all taken care of. When they give shots, white blood cells shoot up (mine go up to 9, when 7 is the highest of the normal range) but then they start dropping, so they aim for a little higher, considering that they will fall later, if that makes sense, so probably it wasn't a mistake.

Yay for less rash, that one is one annoying side effect. I have it at other spots each cycle. I found out mine has something to do with alleviated allergies. I have them when I have something pressing against my skin (wires of the bra etc.) , I have light wool allergy and get them when wool touches my skin for a longer time and if I use perfume, the alcohol also causes it (skin irritation). If yours is similar, you might try to understand what causes so it doesn't get worse.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Thanks Sarah78, yes it makes sense to drive the WBC count high and then it comes down again, especially as my next infusion is days away, and will crush it again. The rash is soooooo great to have died down, hives gone, red down to pink, but I know it will start up again on Friday with a vengeance. I will try to see what might be irritating it of what I wear. I never thought of that.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

I had a mid way through chemo breast ultrasound and mammogram today to check progress and I am over-the moon happy that apparently I am responding very well to the chemo. In some areas where there was a visible mass before there is nothing today. BEST news ever!!!!!!! Had to share. Hope everyone is doing well today.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Yeeeaaahhh Debbie!!! Great news.

• sarah_78
    Options

Congrats Debbie :-) Great news.

• spades2525
    Options

Debbie! That is wonderful news! I’m happy for you.

• HummingbirdAZ
    Options

Wowwwwww, Debbie, that is fantastic! I wish there was a "like" button on these posts ThumbsUp

• smoothoperator78
    smoothoperator78 Member Posts: 72
    Options

happy to report that I rang the chemo bell today. Weekly Taxol is complete

• mindthief
    Options

Congratulations Debbie for the great results and SmoothOperator for finishing chemo!

• spades2525
    Options

Congratulations SmoothOperator! An important moment in this journey.

• mindthief
    Options

Well, after a couple of difficult weeks, I had a bit of a meltdown today and started crying in the oncologist’s office. I felt like an idiot but she was very kind. Taxol #2 tomorrow… hoping for less pain than last time. Also, in case anyone else experiences this, I talked to her about pain I was having in the cancer breast because it freaked me right out (I am post lumpectomy and could only find references to this pain occurring for those doing neoadjuvant chemo). She said not to worry about this; it’s because taxol irritates the nerves that are already damaged by surgery.

Spades - good luck with your treatment tomorrow!

Oldladyblue - glad you’re doing better after your hospital stay

• sarah_78
    Options

mindthief, please don't feel bad about crying your heart out. I am sure your oncologist can understand the psychological burden of what you are going through and had a good explanation to set your mind at ease about the pain on lumpectomy side.

I have to admit I cried a few times in the hospital, in front of the assistant of my onc and once before CT. The doctors and technicians at CT treated me like I lost my mind, shame on them for lack of empathy, makes me so angry thinking about it. (It was after their stupid new learning nurse blasted the vein on my hand)

• HummingbirdAZ
    Options

Well, that explains a lot, Mindthief! I had the same pain after Taxol #1 and it went unexplained. Then after Taxol #2 I ended up with an infection in that breast. Very happily, got the drain out today after 8 days and met with surgeon and oncologist. I get one more week off of chemo while the drain site heals and I finish the antibiotics. I felt elated!!! While I want to get this whole thing over with, this break has done wonders for my mental state, despite being sick and having that blasted drain in.

And, don't feel bad about crying. I'd bet a million bucks that's happened before and they are used to it.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Yay - congratulations SmoothOperator. That's awesome.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Woohoo SmoothOperrator!!! So good that you are done!!!! Gives us all incentive to keep going.

I understand the mental strain, the crying, the not-trusting the medical staff totally, the various aches and pains (some very bad) and the way that those things can wear us all down. That's why it is so important to me to come here where people are actively posting. The knowledge that somewhere else, someone else is fighting and winning today, right now, is good for me. It makes me stronger. Sort of like hugs. I love hugs. I've always had a weird idea that hugs are energy exchanges between the people hugging. Needed energy exchange and that the motion of the energy moving strengthens both people who are involved in the hugs. So hugs to all you brave women.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Oldladyblue - HUGS right back to you - I am such a hugger and wrap my arms around you all as well. Heart

• oldladyblue
    Options

DebbieM1958 - Thank you for the big warm hug! I am going through some emotional turmoil as I am leaving for my 45 minute drive for my 3rd infusion in 2 hours. I should be sleeping still, but woke up with a fast beating heart and worry.

I have tears in my eyes knowing that you know what this takes and what it is all about. No one in my physical life really understands which is why I felt so lonely right now. Until I came here.

Hug

• mindthief
    Options

Oh my god, this goes without saying, but chemo is the flippin' worst! After 5 cycles in a row with constipation, this time I get run-for-bathroom diarrhea. It's like, oh, you survived THAT… how about THIS?

Thank you everyone for your support. Emotionally I feel a lot better after letting it out at the oncologist's, and it helps so much coming here knowing I'm not alone in my feelings. Hugs to all of you.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Oh mindthief, I know what you mean. I've been constipated or regular and then today a fart wasn't just a fart and I had to run to the bathroom, sit down, do my duty, and then also strip off my undies and toss them in the sink. Ugh. I couldn't believe it. I hope that doesn't happen again.

Yes chemo is the worst thing I've ever had to do. But I am sort of proud of myself for doing it as well as I am, despite the mind games I am playing with myself.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

So far have not had the joys of constipation but BOY have I had the opposite! Barely get down the hall to try and take my Imodium before I have to dash back, making it some times and other times not! Eeessssh.....enough already. So far luckily this 4th cycle it hasn't been as bad as previously - My doctor called in a better prescription of Lomotil which works quicker and better than Imodium.

• sarah_78
    Options

So it was mindthief who took my D and replaced with her C ;-)

First cycle I spent between bedroom and bathroom, second and third I am a proud member of skipping days without the "duty".

I like skipping more than working too hard I figured but I can never predict what is coming for me so I have to have all sorts of food ready. Have a great recipe for chicken soup with tiny noodles and lemon+egg sauce, yummy, keeps me hydrated, works for both.

• mindthief
    Options

oldladyblue andsarah78 - lol, so I guess I’m not the only one switching teams. Variety is the spice of life, right?

• oldladyblue
    Options

Oh MINDTHIEF, the worst part about the variety going on with my pooper now is that I cannot drink any coffee at all, or caffeine, or it will explode out the other side shortly. So sad, I love coffee in the a.m. and hate decaf. Does feel a bit like when I used to eat spicy food, so I still get the spice of life effects. heheheh

• spades2525
    Options

honestly, I can not keep up with the bathroom issues! It’s exhausting to try and manage.. and just when you think you’ve figured it out, it changes! Geesh! I’m currently on Team D.

First of 4 rounds of dose dense taxol on Friday. The day was long and they took 3 tries to get the IV in… which I always find very stressful. But the good news is that i didn’t have an allergic reaction. Yesterday I felt pretty good.. false sense of “maybe this will be ok”… but I’m really not well today. Significant body pain, fatigue, and almost no appetite.. couch ridden already ☹️ Fingers crossed this doesn’t last too long 🤞🏼

• spades2525
    Options

Oh, and Oldladyblue- I also miss my morning coffee!!