Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2021

Options

Comments

• mindthief
    mindthief Member Posts: 62
    Options

Hi Spades, glad you’re feeling better finally! I am hanging in, about five hours out from treatment and so far less nauseous than last time. They have me on 5 different anti-nausea meds now so I should hope so! You’ve gotta laugh at the absurdity of it sometimes. I’m so sorry about your kids… My sister was supposed to buzz my hair yesterday but ended up coming down with a cold, so I’m on my own. It hasn’t starting falling out ye but my scalp has been sore and itchy, so the writing’s on the wall.

• HummingbirdAZ
    HummingbirdAZ Member Posts: 93
    Options

Hey Spades--Glad you made it through! I also emerged from round 2 today. It's funny how it feels like a switch is flipped and you just feel fine again. It did take one day longer this time, hoping that's not a trend. I had a little more bone pain than last time and the whole taste thing was new, but otherwise same kind of fatigue. Best thing is our weather here in Phoenix has finally broken and triple digits are a thing of the past for 2021! Looking forward to being outside, soaking in the mountains and the sun!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

• DebbieM1958
    DebbieM1958 Member Posts: 105
    Options

Spades2525 - Yes, I think Day 8 was when I started to feel human again too. And its gotten better since then so I hope the same for you.

Sarah_78 - Going to try and leave my hair as much as possible. One gentle brush in the morning and that's it. On the plus side my $25 baseball cap with fake hair (from Amazon) arrived today and its not so bad looking. Will keep that handy just in case.

Hope everyone has a good weekend ahead and those who just had a treatment will do OK. My #2 is looming ahead on Thursday 9/30.....but that will be one less to deal with when I'm done.

• Ernnelson
    Ernnelson Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi All! Haven't been on the last few days because I ended up in the hospital. Had a low grade fever & they panicked about infection 😑 Spent 3 days I hospital, 2 rounds of IV antibiotics and lots of sleep in a fairly uncomfortable bed to find out that I don't have an infection. On day 8 after 1st treatment, I still have no appetite and this d*mn headache is going to be what does me in!

Hope everyone stays strong & has a great weekend!

• sarah_78
    sarah_78 Member Posts: 119
    Options

Hi Ernnelson, from what you wrote it looks like you also get TCHP like me and Debbie, this one goes harder on immune system. Looks like yours resulted in febrile neutropenia.

Did you get an G-CSF injection the day after treatment to boost your numbers? (one like Neulasta)

So sorry you went through a hard time but glad you are back :-)

Question to others about growth factors:

My doctor first wanted to wait and see how I cope up with it to add G-CSF to the regime if necessary, which was an approach I liked. But then they discussed and decided, I had chemo 10 years ago and perhaps my bone marrow isn't in best shape, then they wanted to give it no matter what. I declined the latter. So now I am having second thoughts, corona, infections, extra antibiotics, have I done good? :-( Anyone doing the same?

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Ernnelson - super sorry about your hospital stay - I guess better safe than sorry, but that's never a fun place to be. Glad you are back home and no infection. Yes, Sarah_78 is right, we are all 3 on the same cocktail of meds.

Sarah_78 - I haven't heard anything about that G-CSF you mentioned. So far it isn't anything they've discussed with me.

• mindthief
    Options

Ernnelson - ugh, I'm so sorry about your hospital stay and that you're still feeling crappy. I'm hoping for better days for you soon.

Sarah_78 - I’m in a different protocol but am doing the injections 24 hours after each treatment. They didn’t really give me a choice.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Sarah_78 - Re: the G-CSF you mentioned. I looked it up since I didnt recognize it - and yes, I am getting that actually! Haha, learning new words. I get shots of Xarxio for 5 days starting on Day 3 each cycle. (My husband gives them to me). So far no side effects. They said take Claritin on those days to prevent bone aches and it must have worked.

• sarah_78
    Options

ok G-CSF, most people get it, maybe I shouldn't be against it.

Wanted to wait and see if my body could cope up with it by itself but maybe it is too much risk just to see that, especially during covid and hospital visits. I am getting so many medication, was only trying to spare a few whenever it is possible.

and I haaate needles ugh.... even after being poked so many times, phobia still exists.

3rd day here, definitely team constipation. :-/ Any tips appreciated. Tried coffee, green tea, plums, long walk, crazy amounts of liquid, nope, nothing.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Hi Sarah_78 - I was the opposite of Team Constipation - but from a prior surgery I remember prune juice worked wonders - better if slightly warm (ugh), but it does the job! Good luck with that.

• mindthief
    Options

Sarah_78, I’m a lifelong member of team constipation and had it pretty bad after my first treatment. I’m taking Restoralax preemptively this time, along with senna tea. If you’re trying to go natural, I do find hemp hearts every day helps.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Its Day 16 of Cycle 1 and ......man.....my hair is coming out with a vengeance the last couple of day. Every time I touch it (and I'm trying to resist doing that). Brushing just once a day but every time the brush is full. I knew this would happen but I didn't realize I wasn't really prepared for this. I almost feel like I will miss my hair more than I will miss my breast after surgery. Trying to come to terms with it in an upbeat manner while definitely not feeling upbeat about it.

• sarah_78
    Options

Debbie, I am so sorry to hear that it is affecting you like that. I know it will affect me the same. We have to remember, hair will be back, it is just a phase.

Hang in there please, if you feel like ranting, we are here for you.

• spades2525
    spades2525 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Debbie - I get it. It is a really hard part of this process. I took the weekend to adapt to my new buzz cut look and already I can feel the emotional shifts to acceptance. With lots and lots of self compassion!

Ernenelson - how awful for you! The dreaded fever.. and I’m so sorry you are still feeling so unwell. but I am happy that there was no infection

Hummingbird.. it is so weird.. like a light switch.. feel like death one day and the suddenly I’m at the mall the next 🙄

I was Team Constipation for the week after chemo And now I’ve changed Teams… fun times.. but while constipated I did all those things you listed Sarah.. didn’t help too much for me either… but mindthief, i think I’ll get some restoralax for next round

• mindthief
    Options

DebbieM, the hair thing is so hard and seems to come in layers of grieving/acceptance. I buzzed mine army style on Sunday and actually thought, this doesn’t look so bad, but now that I’m starting to lose that little layer of fuzz, it’s hitting me again, harder than I expected. I think it’s okay not to be upbeat about it, especially not all the time.

I’m on day 5, still tired but back to feeling mostly human :) This cycle has been so much easier than the last one thanks to all the extra anti-nauseants. So grateful that my chemo team (and I hope everybody’s) is willing to adjust things and make the experience as painless as possible.

• nicolinabella
    nicolinabella Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello, I’m new here…. ❤️ I’ve been reading up on everyones journey… First, thank you all so much for sharing…. I’m starting my first of four rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan chemo. I have the Penguin Cold Caps hoping it will work, but if hair falls then so be it…. It’s all part of the journey I suppose. I’ve appreciated all of the tips and as I start the process I plan to share as well. I did hear that taking Claritin helps for bone pain, I’m not sure if anyone has already suggested this but I thought I would. I feel blessed to be a part of this club and fight this disease with you wonderful women!

God bless you all and I will be sure to check in to see how you are doing and keep you posted.

Lots of Love,

Nicole

• sarah_78
    Options

Welcome Nicole, sorry that you have to be with us but hopefully we will get over the treatments together. I am also taking T and C you take, my infusion was 5 days ago. When is yours?

As for the tips, I recommend you check: "Tiffany's Twenty Terrific Tips for TC ".

5th day after 1st Chemo now, energy very low but also it is due to having my period (it couldn't wait could it?). Last night I also changed teams to Team big D *sigh*. Hope it doesn't get too bad. Can't wait to recover some of my energy, all I am doing is sleeping right now.

How is everyone else is doing?

• HummingbirdAZ
    HummingbirdAZ Member Posts: 93
    Options

Mindthief--I wish I could say my round 2 was better than round 1 but just the opposite. Isn't is weird that everyone is so different? We are on the same thing, a week apart but it took me 8 days to get back to normal after the last one plus had that whole taste issue thing. ugh. My hair got shaved on day 16 since most of the feedback I received was hair loss starts day 16-23, so here I am on day 26 and it is growing stubbly without signs of falling out. ugh again! I am 2 days away from round 3 and seriously now dreading it. My "glass half full" comment is that after Friday, I'm 3/4 of the way through the first series, which is less than 1/4 of the total treatment but I'm concentrating on the baby steps right now :)

Spades--Between the 3 of us, some very different experiences, right? Hope you are doing well.

Nicole--Welcome to this wonderful group of information and support. I'm sure you will find it very helpful!! Good luck with treatments.

• nicolinabella
    Options

Thank you Sarah, my first round starts today…. Three hours to go…. I’m right behind you and I just started my period too which is super fun… every time Aunt Flow comes to town she somehow forces me to join team “Big D” as well….so this should be interesting…. haha…. good thing I’m stocked up in Immodium. Thank you so much for sending those helpfultips… I will be sure to let you know it’s going…. And anything I learn along the way. I hope you start to feel better soon….

Hummingbird - thank you for the warm welcome!! I hope today is a good day for you!

Round 1 here we go…. 💪🏽❤️🙌🏽

• DebbieM1958
    Options

NicolinaBella Welcome to the group - it's a bummer that we are all here but its a great group of ladies, all helping each other along the way on this crazy journey. Best of luck to you. I am on the same regime as you and Sarah_78. Today I buzzed my hair and after 4 days of it falling out slowly, starting on Day 15 and getting quite depressed over it, I feel much better that its finally gone. I won't have to wake up tomorrow and try to brush it, watching half come out in the brush. Bit the bullet and my husband shaved his as well. We are now a pair of baldies and its not so bad as I thought it would be. Remember it will grow back, apparently better than before.

Round #2 for me tomorrow - hoping it is not much more than Round #1 but who knows. Fingers crossed. Hope your Round #1 was OK for you. I found that Day 4 hit me with the runs and very low energy, no taste and just generally very fatigued and sleepy. But it only lasted for about 4 - 5 days and the rest of the time in between has been very good. I am on 21 day cycles. Remember to drink, drink, drink and rest whenever you feel the need - oh and eat too. Even when it tastes like cardboard.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening and day tomorrow.

• sarah_78
    Options

Debbie, it is so sweet your husband shaved his head with you, so romantic <3 Wish you all the best tomorrow, you will be already 1/3 done tomorrow!

How are you feeling after chemo#1 Nicole?

Yesterday (Day 5) I slept all day and whenever I woke up, had to run to the restroom. At some point I thought, I can't do it. That and cramps from Auntie F, hadn't felt so under the weather for a while. Today, day 6, started just a little better but I have small pimples all over my face, didn't have anything remotely close even as a teenager. Any tip is welcome, I had been cleaning it and trying not to touch.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Hi Sarah_78 - I forgot about the little pimples. I also had those for the first time in forever - they started out as little red spots and some developed. I ignored them and put calamine lotion on them, they disappeared in a few days. What fun. Also had the runs and slept a lot for 4 days about day 4. Then it was like magic and I felt so much better. I hope you have the same. I remember one day I slept well the previous night, took a nap about 7am for an hour, another an 11am for about 2 hours and again about 5pm for about 2 hours, then slept again at night. I am not normally a napper so that was very unusual. But they said to rest when you need to so I did. YES, will be 1/3 done by end of day today - I have a chart in the kitchen to cross off each chemo session. I do well with visuals. Happy Thursday everyone.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Well, Chemo Session #2 is done and I am now officially one-third the way through my 6 treatments. YIPPEEE!!!!!Smile Attached is a pic of my newly buzzed hair as of yesterday! And my sweet hubby also buzzed his (we did each others). And yes, that's my CHristmas tree in the background - I love Christmas and wanted to have it up early in case I felt too tired to do it later in the treatments. As it turns out I could have waited but I'm happy to gaze at it every evening Nerdy

I had the same reaction to the Herceptin that I had the first time around - after that one I got a scratchy throat, sort of like I had a frog in my throat feeling of needing to clear my throat but it wouldn't quite clear. They had added IV Benadryl to my regime after the first one but since I still got the same reaction I was also given IV Solumedrol (a steroid) which did the trick and alleviated that symptom. Note: Important to mention any strange feelings immediately as they said it is the beginning of a reaction which they can control if they are told, but could develop into a worse issue if you don't say anything. Anyway the rest of the treatment went off without a hitch. It was another 6 hour session but all good. No hubby visitor due to COVID restrictions (they did let him come in for part of the first one). Hoping that the side effects are not worse than Round #1 which mostly consisted of the runs, very tired, lots of naps, loss of taste - all resolved mostly within a week.

Hope everyone is doing well this evening.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

NicolinaBella Hi Nicole, I see you are in Sacramento as well!!!!! Well, technically I'm nearer Roseville in Citrus Heights. I am being treated through Kaiser - how about you? Hope you are doing well today.

• nicolinabella
    Options

Hi Debbie and Sarah,

Chemo 1 was yesterday and I have been feeling good This morning my face and arms were flushed red ans had a low grade fever but only 99.1. I haven’t had much of an appetite but managed to eat some toast and banana this morning. Light salad for lunch. I had this burst of energy this morning and cleaned my entire house… My mom came over and was waiting for something to happen all day but I have had so much energy. When I went for my pfligrastom (Neulasta) injection today the nurse said the sudden burst of energy was from the Dexemethezone steroid. Today was my last day to take it so tomorrow may be different I ended up passing out around 6:45 and woke up sweating just now. Debbie- you look BEAUTIFUL and so sweet of your hubs to join you in support and solidarity! We couldn’t do this without them I just love that you have your tree up!! What a great idea…. I may have to follow in your footsteps! I hope the days following round 2 are a “breeze” and not a lot of side effects for you.
    I feel like I’m just waiting around for something to all of a sudden hit me. I’m taking Claritin for the bone pain so hopefully it’s not too bad from this shot. zolfran for nausea. No interest in food at all. 😢
    Also, I’m in Carmichael a block from the river being treated at Sutter Cancer Center on L street downtown. What a small world we live in right?
    Sarah, water water water has been my best friend… I’ve read to just keep your face clean and moisturized. If it’s an allergic reaction maybe ask the Dr if you can take Benadryl? Hives/rash are a side effect or so I’ve heard. I’m so sorry you are having those GI issues. My Aunt Flo is here and with a vengeance too, I tell ya. When is this forced menopause supposed to kick in? (Never thought I’d be asking that question but here we are…lol)

Lots of love ladies,

I’m with you gals… stay strong, stay positive, we will get through this! ❤️

• DebbieM1958
    Options

NicolinaBella Sounds like we are on the same timing as well as same meds as I had my #2 session yesterday, one session ahead of you.!!! Good for comparing notes!!! Woke up today feeling fine so far - fingers crossed. I am ready with all the applesauce and popsicles, BRAT diet food I might need just in case. Woke up at 3:30 this morning but I can nap later if needed. Carmichael - I spent most of my younger years living there, near Del Day school while my kids were little. My brother and son live there too.

Yes, they gave me Claritin for the bone aches each day before the white blood cell booster shots and it must have worked because I didnt experience any. Also taking Zafron for 3 days for any nausea, and that must have worked too because I didnt get any of that, thank goodness. Just the runs and fatigue. (and of course the hair loss).

Hope everyone has a great Friday and any symptoms that come your way are minor and easily resolved.

• nicolinabella
    Options

Hi Debbie: It’s such a small world, I can’t get over it…. we live on Meredith right near to Del Dayo. That’s where two boys go to school. My husband grew up in this area and his parents were both teachers at Arden and Rio before retiring. I woke up earlier too, then back to sleep and up again. My bones are starting to hurt and feeling fatigued, thirsty constantly. Ive decided it’s time for popsicles and applesauce. Good call on that. I hope you are well and today is a good day! I think it’s Friday right? I lose track of time these days. I swear I have to live by my handwritten calendar and journal these days.

Have a good day everyone!! I hope everyone is either symptom-free and feeling good, or at the very least the systems are mild… xoxo❤️

• MEandJax
    MEandJax Member Posts: 15
    Options

Thank you mindthief , it was not a good time due to a severe headache. I am feeling good right now and start #2 Tuesday. Hopefully, it won't be as difficult.

MEandJax

• spades2525
    spades2525 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Round 2 done! 6 to go. I felt ready for this round because I felt so much like myself these last few days. I also feel like I know at least somewhat to expect (7 crappy days!) so that is somewhat helpful. Mindthief and Hummingbird - were there any big differences between reaction to round 2 versus round1? I am expecting the hair loss. Hummingbird, any change for you there?

• DebbieM1958
    Options

NicolinaBella - OMG, I lived at 1351 Meredith for years while the kids were at Del Dayo. They also went to Arden and Rio. What a small world indeed. My sister in law lives round the corner on Thistlewood and my brother on Sheffield by the park. We also lived on Gary Way for many years. I absolutely love that neighborhood!!!!!! We'll have to meet up for coffee or something when this is all over with. I am in the neighborhood all the time. What fun.

So far so good for me (said very tentatively) on Day 3 after Cycle 2. I haven't had any side effects yet other than waking up early (3 - 3:30). Yesterday I had lots of energy and I think it was from the extra IV of steroids they gave me to offset the coughing reaction I had to the Herceptin. She said it might give me insomnia and extra energy. She wasnt kidding! I cleaned, cooked, worked in the garden, etc. etc. Today I will start the 5 days of Xarxio shots (white blood cell booster). Last time around I got the runs, we'll see what happens this time. I found the claritin helped my bone aches.

Spades2525 - glad you are done with Round 2 as well and hope you dont have too many side effects. Yes, I had about 5 or 6 crappy days about Day 4 so that would be tomorrow for me. Will report back. My hair is all gone now and I buzzed it a few days ago and feel much better having done that. Doesnt look as bad as I had expected it would. I hope minor side effects for you too.

Hope everyone else is doing well and that a nice weekend is in store, or as best as we can make it right? So much appreciate having all you ladies to chat to and bounce things off. I am so glad my friend referred me to join this board.