Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How has the Pandemic affected you as a cancer patient/survivor

Options

Comments

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,282
    Options

I only hope that millennials, Gen-Z and the next generation after that can find the above rhetorical descriptors to be as second-nature as we find "Ms."

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    Options

So the assumption is that except for wealthy countries, in other corners of the world health care system is non existant? You understand Covid is not the first vaccine in the world? Or you think WHO and wealthy countries are finding ways to administre childhood vaccines around the world?

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

I've posted this link before. It provides a status report country by country from COVAX, detailing the number of vaccines received along with information about the distribution plans. It certainly doesn't look like vaccines are being held back by corrupt leaders.

COVAX Vaccine Roll-Out https://www.gavi.org/covax-vaccine-roll-out

• teedoff
    teedoff Member Posts: 63
    Options

Thank you. Appreciate your response

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    Options

Sandy,

I have “known” you, your political opinions and your general views for quite a number of years and I am sorry that someone has mis-characterized you. I am quite liberal but at the same time very pragmatic so I understand that this baffles some and TBH, some have trouble with this because it may not jive with the rest of our opinions. I’m ok with that now as I know you are.

Latinx baffles me since Latina/o occurs as normal gender inflection in Spanish. Heck, even tables and chairs are gendered in Spanish!

Re: millennials gen-Z, boomers etc. , I’m not real fond of those big umbrellas names especially when used to denigrate people. We may not agree on everything but we’re all better than that!

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

I wasn't sure if this belongs here, but reading the last several posts, I'm convinced it does.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

I have never used "Ok, Boomer" until now, but it seemed a most appropriate response.

- Signed,

A member of the forgotten generation

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

Surprised to hear that Alicia thinks Hispanics are especially vaccine hesitant. I looked at this chart (KFF analysis of CDC data) Figure 2 on this page -

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

In most states, the percent of vaccinations given to Hispanic people is only slightly less than their percentage of the US population. Not sure that can be blamed on resistance to the idea of being vaccinated it may just be due a lack of opportunity. Hispanics do have a disproportionate share of cases according to that chart, and perhaps that's due to the number of essential workers who are working class Latino.

Puerto Rico happens to have the highest vax rate in the USA right now. They have taken the pandemic very seriously and have very strict mask and vaccine mandates in place. They were requiring negative COVID tests at the airport since the beginning of the pandemic, and now, either a vaccine card or negative test is required to enter. We aren’t doing that at Newark Airport, I can report

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Okay boomer?It's rather unkind and is mostly used to mock or denigrate.

• chisandy
    Options

Caryn, it rolls off my back like water off a duck's. Just as our parents told us in our teens & 20s, "just wait till you have teenage kids." Nothing new under the sun. (I stole that from Ecclesiastes, seeing as how it's Sukkot).

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    Options

It seems unnecessary to keep painting this picture that gives the impression that non white majority countries Black and brown countries can’t be trusted to vaccinate their people. I know that isn’t specifically what is being typed but that is how it comes across to me— and I’m certain I’m not alone.

Xxxxx

FWIW in the Chicago suburbs I see plenty of people who don’t mask where they are supposed to and literally 4 out of 5 of those people are white women. We also have the FOP losing their damn minds because Mayor Lightfoot wants a vaccine/testing mandate. To sum up the misinformation is rampant in white community.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

From May -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57152719

"The need for transport and storage at very low temperatures has been one of the major disadvantages of the Pfizer jab.

The previous storage requirements for Pfizer vaccines have made them harder to use in some parts of the world."

They do have refrigerators in Africa?

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Why are you arguing against this?

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,585
    Options

laughing to myself that gen x is not mentioned, as usual, lol but that’s cool. Have a good night 🙂

• chisandy
    Options

2019, that's why I largely avoid the suburbs--especially in collar-counties that are Trump strongholds. A friend of mine--triple-neg DCIS survivor and fellow septuagenarian--at the southwestern corner of Will County typifies that mindset: "I want to live my life. I don't have time to follow politics or even the news." (Resisting the temptation to bang my head against the wall as I post this--especially since she has the time to watch streamed & recorded movies and sci-fi TV shows). Or, like the owner of a business I frequent, "I work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. When I get home I'm too tired to do anything but eat and go to sleep." (At least she wears a mask and makes her customers wear them too).

This country--and our democracy--is in perilous shape because too many people are self-involved/busy/in denial to pay attention to the world around them. We have been infected (even before COVID) with a collective case of sticking our fingers in our ears and chanting "la-la-la, I can't hear you."

As to new evidence regarding effective safe storage of the Pfizer vaccine (and presumably by extension, Moderna), that refrigeration has to occur along the entire supply chain--from manufacture to domestic temporary storage to intercontinental transport to arrival to distribution. And there needs to be a supply-chain established for every step of the way. Until the W.H.O. (and academic medical ethicists who have yet to encounter patients) can come up with concrete suggestions for how to accomplish that (and communicate that strategy to governmental entities) I don't see our gov't's part of the fulfillment of global health happening. And those >65 at high risk of severe disease or death should they contract COVID should not be made to pay the price. Talk is cheap--especially moralizing advice without action (nor even suggestions as to how to implement that action). And refrigeration still does not confer an infinite shelf life--it merely extends it to a month at the very longest. I don't know about similar shelf-life properties of Astra-Zeneca--the one thing we all agree on is that we should have turned loose our supply of it because nobody Stateside is using it. (But again, to whom should we release it? Who has the structure in place to get it into the arms of those who need it)?

• chisandy
    Options

Illimae, might GenX be the "forgotten generation" in question? (My son is on the cusp of millennial & GenX).

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

illimae - I thought we were the generation that will not be named?

Nevermind about the storage temp change from > 3 months ago. ChiSandy said it won't help.

• chisandy
    Options

Again, Serenity, if you can figure out how to get the Pfizer vaccine from factories into people's arms halfway around the world within a month, refrigerated every step of the way, you deserve the Nobel Prizes for both Peace & Medicine.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,585
    Options

Serenitystat, shit! Sorry. Never mind, I was drinking again, lol

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

It's happening already though. How dumb do you think Biden is to purchase hundreds of millions of Pfizer doses without knowing how to get them to the last mile? Some will be delivered by drones.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

illimae - 🤣 I only learned which generation I am last year! 😉

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,094
    Options

I'm seeing the same thing Wrenn is seeing. No Wrenn, you're not the only one.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

This is from July. I bet Ghana has refrigerators for all those Moderna vaccines they received recently.

https://www.biometricupdate.com/202107/ghana-to-become-first-country-to-use-contactless-biometrics-in-national-vaccination-program

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

I shouldn't be surprised we went from "Get vaccinated!" to "But not them!"

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

I have no more to say on this issue but no one, not a single person said “But not them”.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

I can see where “But not them” can be deduced from the wording used. I read it that way as well. Are we only feeling the pain for what’s happening in our countries and not others? Parthe underdeveloped countries, where we don’t really know what’s going on because it doesn’t make our news?

• teedoff
    teedoff Member Posts: 63
    Options

I’ve had the opportunity to express my perspective as as everyone. It appears we have made our points and are now entrenched in our views. It does make me concerned though when motives are challenged and meaning is “deduced”. I suppose one can draw whatever inference one chooses even if it was never implied by the poster. As far as this topic goes, the proverbial horse died awhile ago. No use still beating it.

I have no more to contribute and sincerely hope you all stay well and lobby your governments to do what you think is right. It has been tough getting to this point after being so angry about my diagnosis and Covid to boot. This Boomer is okay.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Maybe, it's because my dear SIL is a minority and I'm very aware of how what people think are innocent words can still hurt.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

My 2-word post was removed because they "can feel mocking and dismissive". 🤔

I've apparently abused reporting posts (which I haven't reported any in years) and now limited to 3 PMs a day. 🤔

??? 🤨

I've never had a post deleted before. The one I was thinking of posting instead of it surely would have been deleted. And not for swearing. Also containing 2 words. 🤫 I'll never tell.

Strange times. 😒

"But not them" - No one has said that in so few words, but that is the essence of arguing against sharing vaccines outside of your community. I am a minority, and I saw it. It doesn't matter what the motivation is.

Most of us have been vaccinated and want our communities to be vaccinated. It's a "pandemic of the unvaccinated". The virus doesn't recognize borders. We need a global solution to beat the pandemic, no? We have a global economy. If Africa gets decimated by the virus, there will be more than a butterfly effect. How do you like that chocolate or Shea butter? I actually don't know what other consumable products come from Africa. That's what came to me first. Vanilla.

The topic is still relevant to me. There's a maskless employee in the cancer centre who schedules my appointments. I can do something there.