Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Oncologist wants a Brain MRI

hray1993
hray1993 Member Posts: 220
edited January 2022 in Just Diagnosed

I have a brain MRI scheduled on dec 15th. I had triple negative stage 2 grade 3 breast cancer in 2020. Diagnosed Dec 2019. And cancer free August 3 2020. I did 12 weeks of taxol, 8 weeks of AC chemo then did a lumpectomy followed by six weeks of radiation. Then I started a chemo pill that was twice daily every day for a year. I just finished that up on dec 1st. For the past three weeks I’ve had constantly daily headaches that make me nauseous and lightheaded and dizzy. Also have some heart burn. A few weeks ago I was sick at work with a cough and fever so my work sent me for COVID testing. It was negative. They gave me steroid shot and sent me on. I still wasn’t feeling well and still having the headache symptoms so went to the ER. They tested for everything. It all was negative. I know it’s not a vision problem because I’ve got that checked recently and got glasses for that. I messaged my oncologist to let him know just so he could put it in my file and he says he wants a brain MRI as soon as possible. I go Wednesday Any thoughts? Has anyone had a brain MRI to look for Mets and it was nothing? Or if you have brain Mets what were your symptom

Comments

• krose53
    krose53 Member Posts: 74

I developed vertigo about 2 months after chemo. It was quite severe. I called my MO and she ordered a brain MRI. My MRI was clear. I was treated for the vertigo and in resolved after several weeks. Have you ever had migraines? I get all those symptoms with my migraines. Luckily, you won't have to wait long. Waiting is the worst.Hoping your results are negative.

• krose53
    krose53 Member Posts: 74

I developed vertigo about 2 months after chemo. It was quite severe. I called my MO and she ordered a brain MRI. My MRI was clear. I was treated for vertigo and it resolved after several weeks. Have you ever had migraines? I get all those symptoms with my migraines. Luckily, you won't have to wait long. Waiting is the worst. Hoping your results are negative.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

It's good that you're having the scan. Sounds like your oncologist is very on top of everything. Mets are something we always need to have listed as a differential diagnosis.

From ABC diagnosis, the main symptoms of brain mets are "Frequent headaches, vomiting (first thing in the am), dizzy, visual disturbance, seizure, impaired intellectual function, impaired motor skills, mood swings, balance, fatigue. Family members and friends may say you are not your normal self." https://www.abcdiagnosis.co.uk/resources/infograph...

I hope it turns out to be something else and easily treatable! Keep us updated - I'll be thinking of you

• hray1993
    hray1993 Member Posts: 220

I do have chronic migraines. I have since I was about 12. But after my son was born I rarely get them anymore. So it’s possible they could be that but I’m not sure

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,262

hray1993 - I wouldn't rule out the possibility of sinus problems or migraines. I'm ER+ and take an AI, unlike your situation I know, but I started having some bad headaches, mild nausea, dizzy, etc. and I know for sure some of it is related to my sinuses. I was telling a relative about all of this and she said that what I described sounded a lot like migraines that she used to get. She also said that her husband could get just "killer" headaches, etc with sinus problems.

I've never had migraines in my life, but I think there might be something to the idea that after cancer treatment, some of us might be more prone to them. Also, have you recently had a Covid shot or booster? I noticed a lot of odd symptoms after the Covid vaccines and I've read on here where others suspect something from the vaccine also. Some of my problems come with movement, computer scrolling, bright lights, etc., but those same symptoms can just come from seemingly out of nowhere. I get them off and on, but they are not constant. When I use nasal spray and do nasal irrigation, things can improve, but not always. I've had fevers and had to go get anti-biotics, but no one has suggested a brain MRI. I did have a brain MRI when I was first diagnosed and it was all clear. I think there are a lot of possibilities other than mets that could be causing your problems, but the test would probably be good to rule things out, if nothing else. My headache problems get real scary too sometimes and I worry about mets also. When I google all my symptoms the three things that come up every time are sinus, migraine, and brain tumors. I totally sympathize with your fears, but hold on and see if any of these other possibilities aren't at the heart of your problems. I've got my fingers crossed for you that it is something else. Good, good luck to you!

• hray1993 - hope you are feeling better now. Hope the scan was all clear. I am TNBC and get scared all the time. Praying for you