Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Postpone or miss AC treatment?

Options
Bonniebleu
Bonniebleu Member Posts: 33

Hi there,

I’m just wondering if anyone here has postponed or missed AC by a week.

Before I was dx in October, my husband and I rented a beach house in Fla. for a week in Feb, for our children and grandchildren. We’ll be driving to Fla, as my Dr. said no flying.

Right now my chemo schedule is my last AC treatment the day we leave and drive to Fla. 😮😩. Then, that week I guess is when I’m super susceptible, and my daughter is worried about me catching something. Both my daughters are coming with their husbands, (and two grandchildren 1 1/2 and 4 years. Both our daughters are nurses, SIL 1 is an EMT and SIL is a neurologist - so I will be surrounded by medical people there.

I know it seems really stupid to want to make this trip. But, I’m tired of isolating for the last two years essentially. This was my dream trip, with our kids and the babies.

The island were going to is very unpopulated and private.

Thank You so much for any thoughts on this.

Comments

  • mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited January 2022
    Options

    I think you should talk to your MO about this. They know your medical circumstances, and we all can only guess. I hope you get to go. It sounds like a little bit of heaven.

  • spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Our governor is. a jerk, there is very little in the way of requiring masks, etc. Even though his wife is currently in bc treatment. You’d think he’d get it. You don’t say where you are going,, but I would be VERY careful.

  • alissat
    alissat Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Hi Bonniebleu, My husband and I had booked a cruise a yea before I was diagnosed. We really wanted to go especially given what we were going through. I was on treatment 4 of 6 & was scheduled to have it days before leaving. I didn’t want to be sick & highly susceptible to infection. We spoke to my MO at great length about it. She preferred that I not go but wouldn’t forbid it either. We decided to delay my treatment until I got back. Of course this was all pre covid. As previous poster suggested, discuss with your MO & make the decision that’s best for you. Best wishes.

  • nns121317
    nns121317 Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Hi Bonnie (I'm a Bonnie too!),

    I did this on my last round - was supposed to have chemo 12/17, had my graduation 12/18. I spoke with my MO and we postponed until 12/29 because of the holidays. Graduation had strict mask compliance and I was able to stay away from most folks, and my family members who attended were vaccinated and tested. It was a little nerve-wracking as it ended up being the ramp-up period for Omicron, but I don't regret it.

    Also, I had my first infusion on 11/19, then flew on 11/21 to celebrate Thanksgiving with my son. MO felt this was okay because I got my Neulasta shot on 11/20. His only caveat was to carry a prescription for antibiotics that I was supposed to take at the first sign of a fever, but he felt that care could be coordinated in my destination if necessary. We had seven people there, and the MO wasn't too concerned; I did kinda keep some distance from the outsiders (those not from my household) - had my own bed/bath, we mostly gathered as a group outside. That was before Omicron though.

    Definitely talk to your MO, but I don't think it's an unreasonable request barring any specific concerns he/she may have. I'm only 42 with no other risk factors/comorbidities, so maybe that played a part. I hate my AC infusions with a passion, and I know I need all the positives I can get in my life right now to keep going through treatment!

  • minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Bonnie - I agree with Mia. You should have some serious discussions with your MO.

    Edited to add - when I was diagnosed I had a 3 day trip to NYC planned and a cruise in Alaska with my son. I asked my doc what he would say to his own mother. He said go to NYC if you absolutely must, but the Alaska cruise should be cancelled. I think this was mainly because I was HER2+ and he wanted me to get a port put in & start neo-adjuvant chemo ASAP.

  • parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2022
    Options

    I don't think postponing chemo or other treatments for a short time is usually a problem. The main issue will be keeping you safe, especially around unvaccinated children. I've gotten multiple colds (including possibly covid) from a young relative who has no awareness of where and when he coughs and sneezes. Kids also won't reliably wear masks or keep their hands clean. You're pretty much guaranteed to catch any germ they bring with them.

    And it doesn't matter that their parents are medical professionals. In fact, that could put you at even higher risk if they are constantly exposed to hundreds of people at work.

    Hopefully your family can fully isolate themselves for a week or two in advance, and then have everybody get covid tests before arriving. You don't want to catch even a regular cold or flu and be so wiped out you have to postpone the last chemo even longer! Or worse. Flu is not good for a compromised immune system.

    I don't think it's stupid to want to go though. Family is good for your health too! With proper precautions I'd do it.

  • Bonniebleu
    Bonniebleu Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Really appreciate everyone’s experience with this conundrum. It’s really keeping me up at night. Currently at my 2nd AC infusion this morning. So if I don’t reply later…you’ll all know why.

    Thinking that instead of doing every two week intervals I do three weeks at the end.

    We’re traveling to No. Captiva Island, Fla. We aren’t wealthy by any means. Just found this VRBO back in August and jumped on it. We would lose at least 50% plus other monies we paid

    Thank You all so much for sharing your experiences and thoughts on this.

    Wishing everyone going through treatments strength and healing. :


  • spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited January 2022
    Options

    I’m next to Clearwater, don’t think Covid is too bad around captiva. Stay away from Miami area. Weather should be ok for outside eating. Most places have tables out side. Good shelling there, wear sunscreen.

  • Bonniebleu
    Bonniebleu Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thank You all for your thoughts on this. I’m going to talk with my Dr. about it next Monday.

    This is day 1 after my second AC round. Little woozy yesterday. Today is better, taking my Zoltan
  • lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Bonnie--your MO is the best reference so you are wise to speak with him. I had an AC treatment delayed a week (by my oncologist) because he wanted me to have an echocardiogram before proceeding. I'm sure treatment gets postponed for plenty of reasons so it's probably not a problem, but each patient and each MO is different.

  • parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Did you decide to go?

  • spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited January 2022
    Options

    My DD is vegetarian, she thought veggie hospice was hilarious.

  • Bonniebleu
    Bonniebleu Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2022
    Options

    As it turns out, I had to postpone it anyway. My husband got Covid. So far, with him being isolated upstairs with his own bedroom/bath I’ve managed to not get it (knock on wood).

    We are still planning on going to Fla. I’ll wear an N95 mask around everybody inside. Washing hands, etc.We plan to mostly be outside too.

  • parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Oh no! I hope he recovers soon! And that you don't get it.

    I'm glad to hear you're going, to be honest. It sounds like you need it and being happy is good for your health too. :)

  • 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2022
    Options

    Well hopefully now when the trip is taken you can celebrate being done with A/C?

    Sorry your husband has covid. I hope you are able to avoid it.

    Captiva is beautiful!