Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Outpatient masectomy becoming the norm in Covid times?

Options
2»

Comments

• SalliesMom
    SalliesMom Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2022
    Options

I had a mastectomy yesterday, nearly a year after diagnosis, so I wanted to thank you for answering a few questions. I was wondering about this stabbibg pain I new read on google that only some patients get in certain parts, like chest wall or armpits. It happened to me in hospitsl and I thought it might be my chest wall tumor, which I still have. That leads me to another question for you unless its too personal. I was diagnosed with stage 4 de novo and they don't usually take out the bc if they can't get ot all. So what prompted you to have mastectomy at this stage. Sorry. I am so new to all of this and so scared while waiting for sentinel node results.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,778
    edited February 2022
    Options

olympic,

Yes all the waiting is frustrating! To address your main question, even pre-COVID mastectomies were being increasingly done as out patient procedures or short stays (23 hours). Drain management is fairly simple so there’s no real training more like a 10-15 minute instruction period. Yes, it’s nice if you have help but TBH, it’s very simple to manage yourself. My dd was living with me at the time but after the first day or two at home, she went about her life as usual (school, work) and I did just fine. I know we are all different but I was very surprised by how relatively easy recovery was. It was still a surgical recovery but not nearly as bad as imagined.

I was dx’ed over 10 years ago so things may have changed with respect to genetic testing. Those who have genes that pre-dispose them to bc are the exception not the rule. Over 30 genes can be tested for at present but still, only about 15% have genetically related bc potential. Genetic testing was generally offered only to those who had risk factors. For instance, I belong to an ethno/religious group which has a higher incidence of BRCA 1&2 genes. I also had a grandmother die of bc. This may have changed of course and perhaps genetic testingis open to all now. Do check with your mo. Take care.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,778
    edited February 2022
    Options

Salliesmom,

We have a stage IV de novo thread that might be of help to you. Please join us there.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/876918