Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Disclosing diagnosis at job interview?

I am in the process of looking for a new job. I’m not sure how to address my diagnosis…

1. I need to know if they will be able to work around all of my dr appts. My current employer has been great about that, but I’ve been here for 9 yrs.

2. If they do hire me, I don’t want them to feel that I was dishonest if I don’t bring it up knowing that it could affect my ability to work a normal schedule.

3. If I do bring it up, I don’t want them to not hire me because they feel like it would be an issue.

Anyone delay with this or have any advice

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,934
    edited January 2022

Are you currently undergoing long-term treatment? From your stats, it looks like you had the standard (hopefully) one & done, low stage and grade cancer that's now in the past, so I don't see any reason to say anything unless you're currently on chemo. And even that isn't their business unless it affects signing up for group insurance somehow.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited January 2022

I agree with Alice. Unless there is something going on that doesn't show in your stats, you probably aren't having many appointments these days. It might be more than a person who hasn't had a cancer diagnosis and treatment, but not out of range for people who otherwise have something that needs some attention. People need appointments for maternity care, physical therapy, broken wrists ... all kinds of things. So your schedule of check-ins with various doctors is probably not out of the ordinary for them.

Good luck.

• Aklynna
    Aklynna Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2022

Thanks for the replies. I am not currently in any treatment but still seems like I have an appointment every other week. Plus, I am starting PT again since some cording/nerve issues/pain have come back.

I will just try to ask about their leave policies and hope for the best

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,934
    edited January 2022

You can mention, AFTER you receive the job offer, that you have some regular medical appointments that will need to be worked around. Don't ask, just politely state it as a fact, and don't disclose any information you don't need to.