Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Biopsy on Opposite Breast

Options
LemonPink
LemonPink Member Posts: 8

Diagnosed 1/10, IDC ER/PR+, HER2- on my right breast. Had my MRI this week. Right side looks how they were hoping -- no additional spots/ spread. Left side comes back as a 8mm spot on my left breast. BIRARDS 4b. Scheduled for an ultrasound on Tuesday and potentially a biospy later in the week. I am so upset about possibly needing another biopsy, waiting on pathology etc. I just want to have my surgery and start treatment (if needed). I know MRIs have a high "false positive" rate but hearing from anyone else who has been through this would be helpful. Thank you!

Comments

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 752
    edited January 2022
    Options

It happened to me in the beginning too. MRI on right breast was a Birads 1 but both the surgeon and a radiologist saw something and somehow I went in for another biopsy. When I arrived for my appointment that is when the radiologist saw something in addition to what the surgeon had me in for. The nurse navigator came out and took me into the office to explain they wanted 2 biopsies and she had a cancellation later in the day. I was blindsided. I agreed to just get both over with. One was in the mammo machine and the 2nd one was in the MRI machine. Results were one was a fibroadenoma and the 2nd was LCIS. The surgeon also performed an excisional biopsy while I was in surgery with the dye and wire guide. That was also LCIS. Without their expertise in reading these reports who knows when this LCIS would have been found? I'm glad it's gone. Wishing you the best. I feel like it's better to know now. Let us know how you make out.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited January 2022
    Options

This happened to me when I was already getting chemo for Stage 1A on the left. The threshold for following up on anything suspicious drops very quickly once you have a positive for cancer in another location so these often turn out to be absolutely nothing but they have to follow up. Mine was a nothing but I had an MRI biopsy for it. It is good to know now so you're doing the right thing. Hang in there

best wishes

• typhoon
    typhoon Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2022
    Options

I went through the same thing - IDC confirmed on left side, then an MRI revealed spots of concern on the right side which had not been visible in other imaging. Unfortunately, the spots on the right side also turned out to be cancer (mainly DCIS, with a smidgeon of IDC). I feel like the MRI helped me to dodge a bullet.

• val1127
    val1127 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hi all. This must be the standard now. I had an MRI following right breast bx that found IDC. The MRI showed 2 suspicious areas on left breast. Follow-up US on left found only 1 of the 2 areas. US biopsy on left was benign but I am scheduled for MRI bx. I am now 2 months in from initial diagnosis and the MRI bx is not for another 3 weeks. I don't know about other ladies but it is such an emotional roller coaster waiting. On top of that my tumor on the right pushes up under the nipple so I never get a break from feeling it. I am trusting in God to get me through this